names

Looking for Scottish Ancestors

Moderator: Global Moderators

speleobat2

Re: names

Post by speleobat2 » Sat Dec 31, 2016 12:12 pm

This just goes to show that you should never give up looking for relatives. My original Cadenhead post was from 2010! Welcome to Talking Scot Janette. I'll be in touch later today about the Cadenheads.

Carol :D
Looking for: Clerihew, Longmuir/Longmore, Chalmers, Milne, Barclay in Newhills,
Munro, Cadenhead, Raitt, Ririe/Reary

speleobat2

Post by speleobat2 » Sat Dec 31, 2016 7:37 pm

Hi Janette,

I have emailed you so if you don't see it check your junk mail box! It looks like James Cadenhead and Margaret Harper were divorced sometime after their son William was born in 1884. When William marries in 1907 one record shows his name as William Cadenhead and another says it is William Baxter. When William's son Leslie is born in 1908 his father's name is given as William Cadenhead Baxter. James Cadenhead did not die until 1927. I don't see any divorce records for AU on Ancestry.com which is where I get many of my records from. I also haven't found a marriage for Margaret Harper Cadenhead and Henry Baxter, but I may have just missed it. Maybe one of the reader can help out on those. They are very good at finding things out!

speleobat2

Post by speleobat2 » Sun Jan 01, 2017 12:13 pm

My cousin over by Perth says that Margaret Cadenhead and Henry Baxter didn't marry until 27 Aug 1917. She hasn't found a record of the divorce yet, but is still looking.

HeatherH
Global Moderator

Post by HeatherH » Wed Mar 22, 2017 6:42 pm

Andrew you mentioned the snickering in primary school when these 2 girls 1st names were called. I had a similar thing in high school. Growing up in a wee fishing out port in Newfoundland not only meant everyone knew everyone but they also knew everyone from the surrounding communities as well. Imagine our delight when our new grade 9 teacher was really a new teacher. Not only new for us that year but new to the school. In fact he was from Alberta. He was actually involved in computers and was later our 1st computer teacher on the very advanced Commodore 64 system. He was tan and handsome and was using crutches due to a soccer injury just before school started
As Mr. Ash read the roll that 1st morning and got to Agnes Bruce there was a number of snickers as you mentioned but we all waited to see how this would turn out. At 1st "Agnes" gave no response. And I imagine Mr. Ash started to think she was either in another class or didn't exist. Except for the snickers and by now everyone craning their heads to look at 1 young lady towards the back. Eventually she responded that her name was Ticky. Agnes was her mother (another school teacher) So Mr. Ash responded Agnes Bruce Present and ticked her name off on the list.
The next morning was pretty much a repeat of the 1st with the name Agnes Bruce being called several times, ignored just as many and finally corrected as being Ticky.
By the end of the 1st week you could tell Mr. Ash's cheeky grin during roll call and handsome good looks were not winning him any points with Ticky and she was losing patients.
With everyone seeming to be finally settling into our new classes and time tables what better time to hold a fire drill . Bell rings we all line up and orderly march out to the allotted space and yes you guessed it... lined up for roll call. Now Ticky and Mr. Ash have a much bigger audience for their mexican stand off on what name will be used. The usual ensued and I am pretty sure even a few of the other teachers (teachers we had known forever as nothing changes in small towns in outport Newfoundland. these same teachers had taught our siblings and some even parents) were looking on to see it play out.
the school was finally cleared and the times read and we were allowed to file back into the school. Just as we passed the short set of steps heading to our corridore we heard a yelp and turned to see Mr. As on the floor struggling with his crutches to regain his feet and Ticky offering a hand up. When she got him righted she smiled and said "Ticky" and walked back into class.
The next morning back in class and ready for roll call. the 3rd or 4th name "Bruce, Ticky" was heard by all and the response Present. And we all sat and grinned.
Did he trip and lose his footing or was he helped along the way. neither Ticky nor Mr. Ash ever said (but much was hinted at for the rest of the year) All anyone saw was Ticky giving him a hand up. At any rate they seemed to have finally reached a state of peace and the rest of the year was uneventful.
Looking for ...but not limited to Haldane ,Keir ,McLauchlan ,Walker ,Torrance , Reid ,Clark ,Johnstone ,Holmes ,Laurie ,Lawrie ,Strachan , McIlwee ,Welsh ,Queate ,Stewert ,McNight ,Steele ,Cockburn ,Young ....whew! That's more than enough for now.