McMillan family

Looking for Scottish Ancestors

Moderator: Global Moderators

beanies

McMillan family

Post by beanies » Fri Sep 17, 2010 5:39 am

I have been trying to hunt down an Archibald McMillan and his wife Catherine Campbell, they had a son Donald who I am fairly sure was born in Scotland and probably in the Innverness area. Their son was born in the 1799-1800 time period so would have been married (or together) prior to this. I have a feeling that Donald was also married in Scotland before coming to Australia, his first wife died in April 1848 and he married Margaret Kerr in 1854 he was 54 years old at the time and had seven children, if any one could help me it would be greatly appreciated or let me know where I can look for more information. DB

Ann In the UK

Re: McMillan family

Post by Ann In the UK » Fri Sep 17, 2010 7:24 am

Hi DB,

I doubt we're directly related, but as the complicated history of the clan can be split into only 3 branches (one based around Knapdale on the west coast of Scotland, another other based around Galloway, and another based around Murlaggan, on Loch Arkaig) it seems to me most likely that your line emanated from the same branch as mine - Murlaggan. (I've been there several times, and have lots of stuunning photo's if you're interested)

My direct line McMillan's hailed from the Lochaber area, a tiny crofting hamlet called Blaich, on the edge of the Ardgour estate near Fort William . But that line is known to have originated in Murlaggan, on Loch Arkaigside (a stunning place which was/is owned by the Cameron's). And both these places were once parishes which came under the administrative jurisdiction of Inverness.

So have you looked at the Clan McMillan site?
http://www.clanmacmillan.org/Index.htm

If not, you should also take a look at Project MAOL (click on the clan site, all will become clear!), there are lots of names on file there, you may spot someone in your line you recognise. As you may be aware, your Archibald was probably born just prior to what's referred to as 'the great emigration' of 1802 - i.e. the shameful period in Scottish history during which half the population of the Highland and island community were 'cleared' from the land to make way for sheep. So even if that's not when he left himself, it's likely when some members of the family did, or during the equally tumultuous subsequent years. With what you already know, you could probably pinpoint when they're most likely to have left by looking at the history http://www.theclearances.org/clearances/main.php

If you don't find anyone in project MAOL, Graeme McKenzie is the clan historian, maybe he's come across your family in his research or can point you in the right direction. Certainly worth asking (there's a link on the clan site - you could also put a post on the forum there. There may not seem many posts or discussions going on there, but you never know. Someone who knows something may spot it).

Also, it might be worth contacting the Inverness archive to see if they can offer any help:

http://www.highland.gov.uk/leisureandto ... larchives/

Best wishes,
Ann
Last edited by Ann In the UK on Fri Sep 17, 2010 10:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

Ann In the UK

Post by Ann In the UK » Fri Sep 17, 2010 9:27 am

Forgot to mention above:

You may be interested in trying to track down a couple of good books related to the MacMillans. They're quite old now, and quite rare (which may mean they're expensive - my copies certainly were!) but you can still get hold of them if you're lucky ( I managed to get mine, after several months of waiting, from a local rare books shop who offer a search service). They were written years ago by (self appointed!) MacMillan family historian the Reverend (which I think was probably key to the success and publication of his study!) Somerled MacMillan and contain many useful and very intersting nuggets of information and research which ordinary mortals like us wouldn't be able to track down in a million years! Here are the details:

The Macmillans and their septs
Author Somerled MacMillan
Publisher K. and R. Davidson, printers, 1952
Original from the University of Wisconsin - Madison
Digitized 28 May 2008 (I'm sure with a bit of digging, you'll find that online!)
Length 126 pages

Bygone Lochaber: historical and traditional
Edition illustrated
Publisher K. & R. Davidson, 1971
ISBN 0950191701, 9780950191706
Length 288 pages

(There's a third one, whch other's may be interested in, but I don't think it's relevent to your research

Families of Knapdale: their history and their place-names: being a compendium of information on the MacMillans, the MacSweens, the Campbells, the MacNeills, the MacAllisters, the MacTavishes, the MacIlvernocks or Grahams, and others of Knapdale
Publisher Priv. print. by E.B. McMillan, 1960
Length 68 pages )

Regards Ann

CANSCOT

Post by CANSCOT » Fri Sep 04, 2015 11:00 pm

I am curious if anyone has any family connections to Killin,Perthshire. My gr.gr.gr. grandfather Peter McMillan born circa 1797 and his wife Janet McLaren born circa 1794 left for Canada in 1825. They were part of the last Laird of MacNabs original 20 familys to settle in his new land grant in Ontario,Canada. He had control of 80,000 acres at this point. I am having an issue finding their births or who their parents were. Anyone have McMillans from Killin in their tree from this period.

patconf

Post by patconf » Sun Jan 14, 2018 10:45 pm

Hi, came across your inquiry about Peter McMillan. My husband's great grandfather was Donald McMillan, b. 1875, McNab Township, Renfrew Co. Ontario, d. 1929, Sonningdale, Saskatchewan. His father was Peter McMillan, b. 1831 Ontario, d. 1907, McNab Township, m. Marion McInnes. Peter's father was Peter McMillan b. 1798, Killin, Perthshire, d. 1871 McNab Township, m. Janet McLaren.
According to a write-up I found on the internet, a lot of couples in Perthshire and other counties did not marry in church. The groom went to the brides home and guests contributed to the celebrations and if the weather permitted the ceremony was preformed out of doors. So there may not be written evidence of the marriage.

AndrewP
Site Admin

Post by AndrewP » Mon Jan 15, 2018 1:28 am

Hi Patconf,

[TS_welcome]

It was not until the 1930s that it became the done thing for marriages to take place in the church. This was not unique to Perthshire. It was more often that the marriage took place in the bride's family home, or in a hired venue (such as a village hall, or a hotel function room), or sometimes in the manse, or sometimes outdoors. So long as it was not an irregular marriage, a minister (or priest or rabbi or the like) would have solemnised the marriage. If the marriage (in Scotland) was 1855 or more recent, then there would be a marriage certificate to show for it.

Prior to 1855, the marriage, or at least the calling of the banns should have been written into the Parochial Register (later known as the OPR - Old Parochial Register). As recording such events the Parochial Registers was not statutory, many went unrecorded. The pre-1855 registers were maintained by the Parish Church (Established Church of Scotland). People belonging other churches were less likely to have their events registered in the Parochial Registers. At some times, there was a charge to have family events recorded in the Parochial Registers, and if they couldn't afford it, that was another reason for the event to go unrecorded.

All the best,

AndrewP