Ferguson - Lancaster TER. Glasgow & Otter,Kilfinan, Argyle

Looking for Scottish Ancestors

Moderator: Global Moderators

SarahND
Site Admin

Re: Ferguson - Lancaster TER. Glasgow & Otter,Kilfinan, Argyle

Post by SarahND » Mon Nov 28, 2011 1:11 pm

Hi Karen and welcome to Talking Scot! [scotland-flag]
Not sure how we missed welcoming you when you made your first post 10 days ago, but better late than never! Nice that you have found a connection already with someone on the forum.

Don't hesitate to post if you get stuck in your research, as we all love a puzzle!

All the best,
Sarah

kmaclean

Post by kmaclean » Mon Nov 28, 2011 6:55 pm

Thanks I will keep in touch if I find out any info

Karen

Heidihei

Post by Heidihei » Tue Nov 29, 2011 1:27 am

hi
I am trying to view the documents I bought on Scotland people, can get the record page up, but I loose the page when press view.
Is there a time limit?
Karen I think the Ferguson had a long lease on the "hunting lodge", I think the two unmarrid auntys lived there under and maybe just after the war, Is there any where the lease agrements can be checked? And wills after 1900?
Heidi

**Bridget**

Re: Ferguson - Lancaster TER. Glasgow & Otter,Kilfinan, Argy

Post by **Bridget** » Wed Jun 05, 2013 7:46 am

Dear Heidi,

I am sure I am related you through Otter House, Kilfinan and Ferguson.
I live in New Zealand.

My great-grandfather William Ferguson, left Scotland and came here.
He married Helen Veronica (nee Bell) in NZ. They had two sons.
One son died in Australia without children, Malcolm.

The other son Algar Walton Feguson, was my grandfather.
His daughter Marguerite Walton Ferguson (passed) was my mother.
I know not much, but I do know my mother was named Marguerite after her Aunt that lived on an estate in Scotland.
And that Walton, was the middle name give to all of Algar's children (4 total) because of its Scottish importance to him.

I hope your well I saw the date of this thread and know I am 3 years out!
I would love to hear from you.

Kind regards, Bridget

**Bridget**

Post by **Bridget** » Wed Jun 05, 2013 7:57 am

And greetings to everyone on the forum!
Bridget

**Bridget**

Post by **Bridget** » Wed Jun 05, 2013 10:06 am

Hi again Heidi,

Just spoken to other family members. John Ferguson died age 77 years, in 1916, at 1 Lancaster Terrace.
His parents were a baker William Ferguson and his mother was Isabella.
There was also some correspondence from Scotland, and I guess to Scotland. Sent photos back and forth from NZ and the
person they sent them to was Aunt Mary, at Albury House, Burton-on-Trent, England.

On another topic, I am wondering if 'Margaret' was actually a 'Marguerite', as this is the one piece of the puzzle that doesn't make sense.
I know that my mother was named after an Aunt. And the name was/is uncommon, and maybe it has been mis-recorded as Margaret.
Because it is strange that everything else lines up and this doesn't.

Take care.

Bridget

garibaldired

Post by garibaldired » Wed Jun 05, 2013 12:40 pm

If you Google "Albury House Burton on Trent" you get some hits.
It seemed to belong to the Evershed family who were brewers. There was a daughter, Mary aged 23 in the household in 1881.
I don't know whether that fits with what you know.

Best wishes,
Meg

Moray_Lass

Post by Moray_Lass » Wed Jun 05, 2013 4:45 pm

**Bridget** wrote:On another topic, I am wondering if 'Margaret' was actually a 'Marguerite', as this is the one piece of the puzzle that doesn't make sense.
I know that my mother was named after an Aunt. And the name was/is uncommon, and maybe it has been mis-recorded as Margaret.
Hi Bridgit

Margaret and Marguerite are probably the same person. My Grandmother was known as Rita, short for Margarita - the name on her birth certificate is Margaret, I think some people get pretentions :wink:
Maggie

Parental -
Moray, Bellie/Boharm:- Symon, Thomson, Davidson, Gordon, Laing, Dick, Thom, Geddes.
Banffshire, Rothiemay:- Lobban, Symon
Maternal -
'Finechty Flett's'
Banffshire:- Flett, Taylor, Wood, Lorimer, Falconer

Heidihei

Post by Heidihei » Sat Jul 13, 2013 10:11 am

Hi Bridgit :D
Nice surprise. Your "Aunt" Mary was my grate grandmother - her first husband was William John Menzies - they had 2 son's one being my grandfather Andrew Menzies died in England 1977. My mother has memory's :roll: of her grand mother Mary and of staying with them, she did love her visits to Scotland. I will ring mother in the morning. I do have an other post on the Menzies side. Looking forward to talking to you. Heidi

Heidihei

Post by Heidihei » Sun Jul 14, 2013 2:35 am

Hi Bridget
I guess your GGF William is the 2 year old in the 1881 c and the 12 year old in the 1891 c born around 1878/79, somewhere in a 40 f container I would have printouts from records I have looked up. [did notes that Scotlands People has a record of every thing I looked up =D> ] I did not how ever keep back up to the computer ](*,) and I "did" know better. :-({|= I imagine William left very young as he married in NZ. Margaret and Isa visited US when my mother was very young. Later mother was sent to school in England, and for a time stayed with her GM Mary. She also had several trips to Scotland with her dad. I have a photo "the Desert 1931" [US somewhere] - someone has later written "Drew's nephew from New Zealand" - looks about 17 to 23 year old???
Heidi