Ferguson - Lancaster TER. Glasgow & Otter,Kilfinan, Argyle

Looking for Scottish Ancestors

Moderator: Global Moderators

Heidihei

Ferguson - Lancaster TER. Glasgow & Otter,Kilfinan, Argyle

Post by Heidihei » Wed Nov 03, 2010 8:54 am

Hi
Now looking at my grate grandmother Mary Ferguson - she married William-John Menzies in 1893. They had 2 son's one beeing my grandfather. They lived some time in Burton-on-Trent. On the death of William-John she re-married Sydney Evershed [1911]- he had children abouth the same age.
Just a bit of background - I would like to look at the Ferguson side. Looking at her Evershed marridge I found her middle name to be Henrietta and her father to be John Ferguson.
She did have family and often visited Otter, Kilfinan. My mother has told me Otter was a house. I found an "Otter house" at Kilfinan yesterday [Google Earth]- not a good view as behaind bushes etc. - I do not now if I got it right ??
Also found some Ferguson from Kilfinan on Fam. Search - it is likly her dad came from her.
I put "Kilfinan" in the search on this web page - and found a post where some one was looking at Ferguson at Kilfinan and I will take Alans advise left on Sharons tread this am, and leave a message as the person has not been active sins 2008.
Lancaster Ter. I asume she lived there at some stage, may be as a child or maybe later in life - I do not now.
If I could go back in time I would advise my family to give unusual first name's to the children anything but John, Andrew and William. :roll: [nice names but not easy to find among 1000's]
Heidi

nelmit

Re: Ferguson - Lancaster TER. Glasgow & Otter,Kilfinan, Argyle

Post by nelmit » Wed Nov 03, 2010 10:21 am

This looks likely for Mary's birth as it matches the age she gives in 1901 -

MARY HENRIETTE FERGUSON

Event(s):
Birth:
27 JUN 1866 Calton, Glasgow, Lanark, Scotland

Parents:
Father: JOHN FERGUSON
Family
Mother: MARGARET WALTON

Here are her siblings at Otter House in 1891 - A look at the original is definitely required as John and Margaret are still alive (as can be seen in 1901) and the children are shown as daughters and sons of William Ponton at Ancestry. :?

William Ponton 32
Annie Ponton 36
Janet Ponton 6
Thomas Ponton 4
Ellen Ponton 3
John Ponton 3
Isa F Ferguson 22
Margaret W Ferguson 21 (Living on private means)
Alice W Ferguson 13
William Ferguson 12
Florence Ferguson 10
John Ferguson 7

They are at 1 Lancaster Terrace, Partick in 1901 with John and Margaret, their parents. Later...........I've just noticed your reference to Lancaster Terrace so this is definitely your family.

and this looks like the family in 1881 at Overdale House, Cathcart although Mary isn't with them.

John Ferguson 42 born Shotts, Wholesale wine and spirit merchant
Margaret Ferguson 36 born England
Isabella F Ferguson 12
Maggie W Ferguson 11
Helen F Ferguson 8
Alice M Ferguson 3
William Ferguson 2
Florence Ferguson 4 Months
Jeanie A S Blair 11
Elizia Poole 27
Jessie Sutherland 28
Mary Craig 34

Regards,
Annette
Last edited by nelmit on Wed Nov 03, 2010 11:44 am, edited 3 times in total.

nelmit

Post by nelmit » Wed Nov 03, 2010 11:33 am

It would be interesting to see the original record for this family as it's a bit of a mess at Ancestry but I'm pretty sure this is them in 1871 at Cathcart where you would expect them to be -

John ??Son 78
Margaret ??Son 16 born England
Mary ??Son 4
Isabella Ferguson 2
Miggie Ferguson 1
Minnie Smith 22

Currie

Post by Currie » Wed Nov 03, 2010 11:50 am

This appears to be Otter House.
http://maps.google.com/maps?t=h&hl=en&i ... 04211&z=18

It’s at least 400 metres back from the road that Google travelled. This must be the entrance. http://maps.google.com/maps?t=h&hl=en&i ... 5,,0,10.31

Alan

Heidihei

Post by Heidihei » Wed Nov 03, 2010 1:37 pm

wooo =D> - got all exaited there and had to call my mother. She rembers Isa, Margaret and Alice from hollidays at the Otter house. My brother was not abele to bring up the photo on the computer there for my mother to see [he is not very computer orintated] but I am flying that way on Tuesday so I can do it for them and promt mothers memory. The photo's did come out wonderful on this computer thanks Alan.
Annette I have just started on the Fergusons so know very little. Mother says 2 of the sisters was unmarrid and lived in a cottage on the Otter "farm" until they was old, and one married a Canadian or American and had a doughter. I don't think the Fergusons owned Otter, conection may have been troughe marridge. Wonder what Annie Ponton's maiden name was?
Will look at all thise info a little closer. Thankyou Heidi

Montrose Budie

Post by Montrose Budie » Wed Nov 03, 2010 5:20 pm

Heidi

If you go to http://www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk, register if you aren't already, buy some credits it will take you a couple of minutes to see the image of the 1893 marriage between Mary H FERGUSON and William John MENZIES.

That record gives you the names of all four parents. As the 1871 census image apparantly shows, Mary's parents were John FERGUSON and Margaret, - from the marriage record, and the 1866 birth record, surname WALTON. You'll also find the marriage record for John FERGUSON and Margaret WALTON on ScotlandsPeople, showing, in turn, the parents of John FERGUSON, except it looks like it shows the wrong given name for John's father. His death record gives the correct given name.

They appear in the 1851 census, and it look like both were born in the parish of Kilchoman, which is the western parish on Islay.

mb

Later PS Annie PONTON's maiden name was HARTLEY.

Montrose Budie

Post by Montrose Budie » Thu Nov 04, 2010 12:21 am

The 1871 census entry is far from clear, but it looks to me like -

John Ferguson Head 32 [employment ?] Linlithgowshire, Shotts
Margaret Do. Wife 24 [or 26?] England
Mary [initial] Do. Daur 4 Lanarkshire, Glasgow
[next page]
Isabella Ferguson Daur 2 Lanarkshire, Glasgow
Maggie Do. Daur 1 Renfrewshire, Crosshill
Alexander Stevenston Serv 22
Marion Smith Serv 22

I'n not even going to guess at the employment, but based on other census years, the first word could well be 'Wholesale' ............. [Later. After another couple of looks I can believe that it's 'Wholesale Wine Merchant', but it's a "challenging" hand, to say the least; never mind that the image is quite faint.]

Shotts parish is in the very NE of Lanarkshire, but there could have been a small portion in West Lothian, then known as Linlithgowshire.

There is a Crosshill in the S. of Glasgow, which may lie over the city border with Renfrewshire.

.........Here are her siblings at Otter House in 1891 - A look at the original is definitely required as John and Margaret are still alive (as can be seen in 1901) and the children are shown as daughters and sons of William Ponton at Ancestry.

William Ponton 32
Annie Ponton 36
Janet Ponton 6
Thomas Ponton 4
Ellen Ponton 3
John Ponton 3
Isa F Ferguson 22
Margaret W Ferguson 21 (Living on private means)
Alice W Ferguson 13
William Ferguson 12
Florence Ferguson 10
John Ferguson 7
This is not one entry but two separate schedules, No. 23 for the PONTONs and No. 24 for the FERGUSONs; although the address for both is Otter House. In other words, these are different households.

The Ancestry transcriber has probably been confused by the fact that there is no "Head" in Sch. 24. There should have been, but whoever filled in the original schedule got it wrong in not showing someone as 'Head'.

Self evidently, given the ages of Isa and Margaret, they cannot be the daughters of William PONTON, and I greatly doubt if the others are.

Otherwise the transcription is accurate, except that the abbreviation, actually in Isa's occupation, may be meant to represent 'own' and not 'private'.

All 6 FERGUSONs are shown as born in Lanarkshire, Glasgow.

William PONTON, a Gamekeeper, is shown as born in Glenprosen in Forfarshire [Angus], which is in Kirriemuir parish; his wife in Liverpool; and all 4 kids in Kilfinan in the Co. of 'Argyle'. William PONTON and Annie married in Kilfinan in 1884, Annie shown as resident in Pollokshaws in Glasgow, so that Alice and William FERGUSON are unlikely to be his kids.

mb

Heidihei

Post by Heidihei » Thu Nov 04, 2010 7:31 am

[rant] Signed up - bought credit - found image - paid to view- william-john & Mary marridge - now SP tells me no image.
Do same for death cert. for William- john - no it tels me secure area, [-o< no page. Tryed and tryed again ](*,) What am I doing wrong? [-o< heidi

AndrewP
Site Admin

Post by AndrewP » Thu Nov 04, 2010 7:48 am

Heidihei wrote:[rant] Signed up - bought credit - found image - paid to view- william-john & Mary marridge - now SP tells me no image.
Do same for death cert. for William- john - no it tels me secure area, [-o< no page. Tryed and tryed again ](*,) What am I doing wrong? [-o< heidi
Hi Heidi,

The marriage certificate is definitely there. ScotlandsPeople website appears to be a bit shaky this morning, it keeps reverting to their 'site not available' page. When you get past that, you will be able to view the marriage certificate.

All the best,

AndrewP

Montrose Budie

Post by Montrose Budie » Thu Nov 04, 2010 3:01 pm

Heidihei wrote:[rant] Signed up - bought credit - found image - paid to view- william-john & Mary marridge - now SP tells me no image.
Hi Heidi

As AP comments you're doing nothing wrong. The site had problems y'day for several hours viewing any new or saved images. The problem appeared to clear around 10pm last night, but it looks like there still are problems. I tried it a minute ago and it was OK.

The problem takes the form of the following error message when you attempt to view any image , -

Please note that the image you have requested is not available to view.

You have not been charged for this image.

You nay also get a "site not available" error message.

Shout if there are continued problems.

mb