Ferguson - Lancaster TER. Glasgow & Otter,Kilfinan, Argyle

Looking for Scottish Ancestors

Moderator: Global Moderators

Currie

Re: Ferguson - Lancaster TER. Glasgow & Otter,Kilfinan, Argyle

Post by Currie » Fri Nov 05, 2010 5:59 am

Hello Heidi,

While you’re waiting for SP to untangle itself you could get the marriage notice from the Dundee Courier & Argus, Thursday, March 30, 1893. They married at 1 Lancaster Terrace, Kelvinside.

You’ll find it easily down this track. Search for; Menzies Ferguson. viewtopic.php?f=1&t=15443

Limit your search to Scottish Newspapers by pasting this into the Publication Title box. "1ZSV" OR "1ZTN" OR "2FXN" OR "1ZTB"

If you search for: Ferguson Lancaster Terrace, you’ll find he donated 10 Guineas to a charity in 1895. Search for: Ferguson Overdale, and you’ll find what looks like him on a committee. Search for: John Ferguson Wine, and the twin sons born prematurely at Dunoon 1867 could be his, or maybe not. There’s probably more.

Otter House and the Otter Estate was owned by the Rankin family. http://www.archive.org/stream/greatland ... arch/otter

Geograph has photos in and around Kilfinan
http://www.geograph.org.uk/search.php?i=16577165

All the best,
Alan

nelmit

Post by nelmit » Fri Nov 05, 2010 9:25 am

Currie wrote:Hello Heidi,

While you’re waiting for SP to untangle itself you could get the marriage notice from the Dundee Courier & Argus, Thursday, March 30, 1893. They married at 1 Lancaster Terrace, Kelvinside.

You’ll find it easily down this track. Search for; Menzies Ferguson. viewtopic.php?f=1&t=15443

Limit your search to Scottish Newspapers by pasting this into the Publication Title box. "1ZSV" OR "1ZTN" OR "2FXN" OR "1ZTB"

If you search for: Ferguson Lancaster Terrace, you’ll find he donated 10 Guineas to a charity in 1895. Search for: Ferguson Overdale, and you’ll find what looks like him on a committee. Search for: John Ferguson Wine, and the twin sons born prematurely at Dunoon 1867 could be his, or maybe not. There’s probably more.

Otter House and the Otter Estate was owned by the Rankin family. http://www.archive.org/stream/greatland ... arch/otter

Geograph has photos in and around Kilfinan
http://www.geograph.org.uk/search.php?i=16577165

All the best,
Alan
The twins are his Alan. I did wonder why they were born at Dunoon - must have been on holiday. Unfortunately it looks as though one didn't survive.

Regards,
Annette

Montrose Budie

Post by Montrose Budie » Fri Nov 05, 2010 9:40 am

It was very common in that era for family who could afford it to have, or at least rent a house for the summer somewhere down that way on the Clyde.

Mother and kids would be there for up to 2 months, with father doing a weekly commute back to Glasgow, i.e. back on Mon am, then return on Fri pm. Many are the tales of what the footloose and free fathers got up to during the week in Glasgow.

mb

Heidihei

Post by Heidihei » Fri Nov 05, 2010 2:04 pm

Hi all
Thanyou for all the wonderful info. I will get trough it all - have had a look at the book with all the land owners name in it - very intresting. Some of the lovely photos from Kilfinan was taken by a man with the same name as my GGgrandfather. I will get to the newspaper after the week-end, have to work and my delightful 3 year old granddouhter is visiting :D -that keeps me on my toes :lol:
Found on beta fam. sca. ; it was Alice Maud that went to Canada- she married Frederick Norman Douglas Robertson born in Douglas Scotland. - both their death record poped up when I was looking for John Ferguson.
Did manage to get Marriage for john Ferguson and Margaret of SP - can see what you ment by the writing - specialy with Margarets parents - I am gussing it could be Harry or Henry - occupation look like "Nobel" dealer?
Mother maiden name may be Kenyen? Than I did find his parents William and Isobella Forrest. with an even nicer hand writing. Working on the others. thanks Heidi -

nelmit

Post by nelmit » Fri Nov 05, 2010 7:19 pm

Henry Walton and Mary Kenyon can be found with Margaret and siblings in 1861 at Calton, Glasgow. He employed 12 women and 3 men.Looks like he died in 1866 at Dunoon and left a will where it describes him as a 'Woollen and Cotton Flock and Waste Dealer'.

Regards,
Annette

Heidihei

Post by Heidihei » Sun Nov 07, 2010 3:57 am

Hi Annette
Thanks for that - SP was well behaved so founde it easely- thanks. Strange ocupation. did not see a marridge - will look at fam ser later. Off to work now. :(
thans Heidi :)

Montrose Budie

Post by Montrose Budie » Sun Nov 07, 2010 10:51 am

Heidihei wrote:.......... snipped..........
- can see what you ment by the writing - specialy with Margarets parents - I am gussing it could be Harry or Henry - occupation look like "Nobel" dealer?
Mother maiden name may be Kenyen? Than I did find his parents William and Isobella Forrest. with an even nicer hand writing. Working on the others. thanks Heidi -
On the 1865 marriage register entry Henry is shown as a "Waste Dealer"; his wife's maiden surname is Kenyon. Compare the "W" with those at the start of "Walton".

mb

Heidihei

Post by Heidihei » Sun Nov 07, 2010 1:29 pm

Hi mb
Got it thanks "Wool dealer" :roll:
Heidi :lol:

Heidihei

Post by Heidihei » Thu Nov 11, 2010 12:50 am

Montrose Budie wrote:It was very common in that era for family who could afford it to have, or at least rent a house for the summer somewhere down that way on the Clyde.

Mother and kids would be there for up to 2 months, with father doing a weekly commute back to Glasgow, i.e. back on Mon am, then return on Fri pm. Many are the tales of what the footloose and free fathers got up to during the week in Glasgow.

mb
Hi
Talking to my mother -she rembers when the 99 year lease the Fergusons had in Otter expired about 1957/58. She rembers her dad having to maintain the place for a few years after the 2 unmarried auntys that lived out there lives in the "hunting lodge" there died. So the Ferguson family did holliday there for many years.
Heidi

Heidihei

Post by Heidihei » Thu Nov 11, 2010 2:05 pm

nelmit wrote:It would be interesting to see the original record for this family as it's a bit of a mess at Ancestry but I'm pretty sure this is them in 1871 at Cathcart where you would expect them to be -

John ??Son 78
Margaret ??Son 16 born England
Mary ??Son 4
Isabella Ferguson 2
Miggie Ferguson 1
Minnie Smith 22
Hi Nelmit
John Ferguson and Margaret Walton's children

The oldest my GGrandmother; Mary Henriette Ferguson b 27 Jun 1866 Calton, Glasgow
Twins; William b 18 Jun 1867 d 18 Jun 1867 8 houers old Kenyon Villa Duncon
Henry b 18 Jun 1867 d 19 Jun 1867 23 houers old
Isabella Forrest b 20 Oct 1868 Calton
Margaret Walton b 15 Jan 1870
Helen Downie b 13 Jul 1872 Cathart, Renfrew
Alice Florence b 19 Oct 1874 Cathart d 11 Dec 1874 7weeks old
Alice Maud b 14 May 1877 Cathart d 7 May 1957 Victoria, British Columbia, Canada
William b 29 Mar 1879 Cathart
Florence b 29 Nov 1880 Cathart
- as the ages in the censes did not match the on I picked up on Fam. Sea I put the names on SP and found the others as they seam to repeat names of children that has died - have not looked for any other children.
Heidi