Ferguson - Lancaster TER. Glasgow & Otter,Kilfinan, Argyle

Looking for Scottish Ancestors

Moderator: Global Moderators

AndrewP
Site Admin

Re: Ferguson - Lancaster TER. Glasgow & Otter,Kilfinan, Argyle

Post by AndrewP » Sat Nov 13, 2010 3:15 pm

Heidihei wrote:Hi Andrew
Thanks - in the meantime I picked up an other "church acount" - :roll: thise time for the death of William Ferguson 1.5.1842 -and I can't be sure it is him as no information a name and the nr 6. in the expenses in followed by 2 and a half colums od funds distributed. Both papers come from "Airdrie or New Monkland" :? Thanks Heidi
Hi Heidi,

I was only 7 years old, when the UK stopped using shillings, so it took me a bit of head scratching to work out that set of accounts of 01-May-1842.
Mortcloth hire:
7 @ 4s = £1 8s
3 @ 6s = 18s
1 @ 16s = 16s
total = £3 2s, the amount entered into the next column there.

So it cost 6 shillings to hire the mortcloth for the burial of William Ferguson in 1842.

The two entries above for the first sabbath of May were proclamations of Banns for two couples, each costing 3s 6d.

All the best,

AndrewP

Heidihei

Post by Heidihei » Sat Nov 13, 2010 11:17 pm

Hi Andrew
Both papers is the 1st of the mnt. Williams death 1.5.1842, James Dowie's marriage 1.1.1844. - it makes me think it is the day the "church" does thir accounts rather then the day of death, burial or marridge. It looks like the Mortcloth is part of the funds collected in April then they work out what they can give to the people in need - looks like lots of widows are included on the list? Presume the Death and Marridge would have taken place in the mnt. before -anywhere with a better record:?: I can see the maridges is on the 1,2,3 or 4 sabbath so dates can be worked out. Tanks Heidi :)

AndrewP
Site Admin

Post by AndrewP » Sun Nov 14, 2010 3:07 am

Hi Heidi,

In most cases, the dates given on the sabbath will be for the banns having been proclaimed rather than the marriage itself. During the Sunday service the names of those intending to marry in the near future would be called, often on three occasions, to allow anyone to object to the marriage, such as if they knew one of the couple was already married. If the bride and groom were from different parishes, then the banns would be called in both parishes, so it is not uncommon for a couple's proclamation(s) of banns to be written in the register of two (occcasionally more) parishes.

As you say, in these cases it does look like the church accounts were updated monthly, so these date would not be the actual date of burial. Other parishes may have done their books differently, so that they would appear on an individual date in the month. The writing up of the registers did not follow a set method or style - that seems to have been up to the individual session clerk. On the accounts-style registers, it did often show that the monies collected for baptisms, proclamations and mortcloth hires went to the poors' fund, and in some cases, the names and amounts that were given of the recipients of poors' funds.

All the best,

AndrewP

Heidihei

Post by Heidihei » Tue Nov 16, 2010 5:15 am

Hi Andrew and all
Sertenly learn a lot of intresting things going a long on this quest. :D
John Ferguson is proving to be bit of a chalange, he appers in the 1901 Cencus aged 62 at 1 Lancaster Trc. with Margaret and 6 of the children now in their 20's.
Margaret death is recorded as 25 jun 1907 and John is present at her death - they are still at Lancaster trc - the district of Hillhead in Burgh of Glasgow,
The 1901 cences says Kelvinside, Govan, Lenarkshire for the same address. In the 1901 cencus John is Wholesale Wine Merchan Employer - son William is a Wine merchant Cleark.
There is an other John Ferguson in same bussnes -got on that horse and fell of :? :? - he died 1899 he was from Rothsay.
Descoverd we can't look up any will's after 1900 :-({|= As John was still alive in 1907 and only 68 he could live for quite a few years - I have tryed to span the search- both Lenark and Argyle - 3 possibles argyle but haven't peeked as the areas does not ring a bell. His birth record is still eluding me too. :roll:
Anyone with axess to 1911 cencus to see if he still is alive :?: Thanks Heidi

AndrewP
Site Admin

Post by AndrewP » Tue Nov 16, 2010 7:32 am

Heidihei wrote:Anyone with axess to 1911 cencus to see if he still is alive :?: Thanks Heidi
Hi Heidi,

Nobody has access to the 1911 census for Scotland yet. The censuses are closed for 100 years. The 1911 census will come on line next year, probably April.

All the best,

AndrewP

Heidihei

Post by Heidihei » Tue Nov 16, 2010 8:00 am

Thanks Andrew - only a few mnt. to go then. :D Heidi

Currie

Post by Currie » Tue Nov 16, 2010 12:15 pm

Hello Heidi,

Here’s a ‘street view’ of Lancaster Terrace, Glasgow.
http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source= ... 7,,0,-3.84

Alan

Heidihei

Post by Heidihei » Tue Nov 16, 2010 11:21 pm

Hi Alan
The bulding look rather nice with their bit of fancy stone work - I presume it is the same buldings that was ther in the 1901 cences -when my family lived ther and long before. Thankyou Alan for posting that. :D
Thanks Heidi

kmaclean

Post by kmaclean » Fri Nov 18, 2011 10:16 am

hi Heidi,
Don,t know you but I was trying to do some research on my late grandfather John Ferguson, as a child (I am now 43) I remember going to Otter Estate to visit my grandfather's brother Jimmy Ferguson who lived at otter cottage. How much information did you find out about the fergusons that lived there and do you think there is any relationship.
Yours

Karen

Heidihei

Post by Heidihei » Mon Nov 28, 2011 9:13 am

Hi Karen
Have sent you a PM
Heidi