Looking for more info on Sommerville / Penman Family

Looking for Scottish Ancestors

Moderator: Global Moderators

Aodh

Looking for more info on Sommerville / Penman Family

Post by Aodh » Sat Jan 15, 2011 4:15 pm

1. John Sommerville, b. 1777 in Midlothian, Scotland.
John was a collier. John was identified as of "Miller Hill" in 1826 when son Richard was born and of "Adamsrow" in 1829 when son John was born.

He married Janet Penman, married Jul 1822 in Newton, Midlothian, Scotland, b. 1795.

Children:
2. i. James Sommerville b. May 15 1823.
ii. Isabel Sommerville, b. Apr 22 1825 in Newton, Midlothian, Scotland, baptized May 8 1825 in Newton, Midlothian, Scotland.
iii. Richard Sommerville, b. Nov 18 1826 in Newton, Midlothian, Scotland, baptized Dec 17 1826 in Newton, Midlothian, Scotland.
Richard may have been the husband of Ann Hall. If so they had a daughter, Susan, born 28 Jun 1852 at Beath, Fife, Scotland. She died: 12 Jan 1920 and was married to Archibald Dryburgh.
iv. John Penman Sommerville, b. Mar 3 1829 in Newton, Midlothian, Scotland, baptized Apr 18 1829 in Newton, Midlothian, Scotland.
v. Martha Sommerville, b. Jul 15 1830 in Midlothian, Scotland, baptized Dec 29 1830.
vi. Agnes Sommerville, b. Dec 9 1833 in Parish of West Linton, Peebles, Scotland, baptized Jan 8 1834 in Parish of West Linton, Peebles, Scotland.
vii. Janet Sommerville, b. Jan 18 1834 in Strawfrank,Carstairs, Lanarkshire, Scotland, baptized Feb 23 1834 in Carstairs, Lanarkshire, Scotland.

2. James Sommerville (John1), b. May 15 1823 in Newton, Midlothian, Scotland, baptized Jun 7 1823 in Newton, Midlothian, Scotland, d. Jun 29 1882 in Covanhill, Carstairs, Lanarkshire, Scotland. He married Janet Gordon, married Feb 12 1843 in Newbattle, Midlothian, Scotland, b. abt. 1826 in Liberton, Midlothian, Scotland (daughter of David Alexander Gordon and Margaret Reddy Neilson), d. Jun 29 1889 in Addie's Square, Bellshill, Scotland.

Children:
3. i. Elizabeth (Lizzie) Sommerville b. 1847 in Cranston, Midlothian, Scotland, d. Nov 7 1905 in Mabou Coal Mines, Inv. Co.. She married Thomas Quigley, married Jun 28 1872 at Bothwell Parish, Lanarkshire, Scotland, b. 1849 at Drumgelloch, Lanarkshire, Scotland (son of Thomas Quigley and Mary Ralston), d. May 2 1906 at Mabou Coal Mines, Inv. Co. In 1901 James Sommerville,24, a nephew of Thomas and Lizzie, was living with them. There was also a Richard Sommerville, 42, who was likely Lizzie's brother.

ii. Margaret Somerville b. 1851 in Glasgow, Scotland. She married James Hurlay, married Dec 1 1871 in Addie's Square, Bellshill, Scotland, b. 1849 (son of James Hurley and Mary MacDonald).

iii. David Somerville b. 1852.
iv. James Somerville b. 1852.
v. Janet Somerville b. 1857.
vi. Richard Somerville b. Jan 18 1859 at High Church, Glasgow, Lanark, Scotland.
Richard was an iron driller in 1891. He lived with Thomas & Elizabeth Quigley for a while.
Researching:
MacInnis, MacKay, MacLean - Isle of Rum
MacKinnon, MacLean, MacMillan, Campbell - Isle of Muck
MacIsaac - Isle of Canna
Sommerville, Gordon, Neilson, Penman - Midlothian
Quigley - Bothwell, Monklands, McCairney - Glasgow
and many more!

Russell

Re: Looking for more info on Sommerville / Penman Family

Post by Russell » Wed Feb 16, 2011 11:58 am

Hi Aodh

I'm surprised you have had no response to such a detailed post. It is surprising how often colliers and miners moved to different parts of the country isn't it ?

Russell
Working on: Oman, Brock, Miller/Millar, in Caithness.
Roan/Rowan, Hastings, Sharp, Lapraik in Ayr & Kirkcudbrightshire.
Johnston, Reside, Lyle all over the place !
McGilvray(spelt 26 different ways)
Watson, Morton, Anderson, Tawse, in Kilrenny

SarahND
Site Admin

Post by SarahND » Wed Feb 16, 2011 3:28 pm

Hi Aodh and Russell,
Perhaps in this case if a more specific question was asked, someone might try to find out the answer. It's hard to know what, exactly, you are looking for, since you seem to have found so much already. Are there particular children of John Sommerville and Janet Penman that you are having trouble locating in later records?

All the best,
Sarah

Hibee

Post by Hibee » Wed Feb 16, 2011 8:42 pm

Don't see them in Adamsrow in 1841.

Hibee
www.adams-of-adamsrow.com
Adam(s): Newton, Midlothian
Brock: Orkney/Leith
Bridges: Leith
Sweeney: Ireland/Leith
Brown: Edinburgh/Hamilton

SarahND
Site Admin

Post by SarahND » Wed Feb 16, 2011 8:54 pm

Hello, Hibee,
Hibee wrote:Don't see them in Adamsrow in 1841.
They were at Craighall Mid Row, Inveresk, Midlothian: John and Janet and children James, Isabella, Richard, Martha & Janet.

Regards,
Sarah

Aodh

Post by Aodh » Wed Feb 16, 2011 10:11 pm

Forgive me, I'm new to TS. I thought my title "Looking for more info on Sommerville / Penman Family" explained it. I know about Elizabeth Sommerville who married Thomas quigley but aside from what is in my original post I have no other information. I would like to know more about her siblings, parents, aunts & uncles, grandparents, etc. It would be great to connect with distant relatives who came from another brance of the family.
Researching:
MacIsaac - Isle of Canna
and many more!

SarahND
Site Admin

Post by SarahND » Wed Feb 16, 2011 10:23 pm

Hello Aodh!
Do you have them in any census records? Just wondering how far forward you were able to track the family members.

All the best,
Sarah

Aodh

Post by Aodh » Wed Feb 16, 2011 10:40 pm

Hi Sarah,

I've been using FreeCen to access census records from Scotland but unfortunately only 1841 is complete. It is a work in progress.
http://freecen.rootsweb.com/cgi/search.pl

I've done some looking on ScotlandsPeople but not for census records as it can get expensive.

Aodh
Researching:
MacIsaac - Isle of Canna
and many more!

Montrose Budie

Post by Montrose Budie » Wed Feb 16, 2011 10:52 pm

Russell wrote:Hi Aodh

I'm surprised you have had no response to such a detailed post. It is surprising how often colliers and miners moved to different parts of the country isn't it ?

Russell
Miners were much more mobile than is generally supposed.

I can quote many examples of miners moving from Ayrshire and Lanarkshire to Fife, and the reverse.

Whether or not this is connected to the ownership of the mines involved could be a neat research area for someone !

mb

SarahND
Site Admin

Post by SarahND » Wed Feb 16, 2011 11:10 pm

Hi Aodh,
That gives us something to look for, then. I won't have much time in the next couple of days, but I'm sure someone else will come along with some ideas. If not, I'll have a look when I have some time on the internet again next week.

Best wishes,
Sarah