George Hogg drowned aged 9.

Looking for Scottish Ancestors

Moderator: Global Moderators

rhyddid

George Hogg drowned aged 9.

Post by rhyddid » Thu Mar 03, 2011 12:58 am

Hi,
I'm wondering if anyone out there can help me. My great grandmother had twin brothers John & George Hogg born 21 March 1880 at Renton Cottage, Whitburn, Linlithgow.
George drowned in the Forth & Clyde canal on Saturday 29 June 1889 at or near a chemical works at Lock 16 Landward, Falkirk. He was only 9 years old.
What I would like to know is, would this tragedy have been written up in any newspapers of the time? If so, where should I look?
Thanks in advance,
Debbie.

Currie

Re: George Hogg drowned aged 9.

Post by Currie » Thu Mar 03, 2011 6:51 am

Hello Debbie,

All I could find was this short item in the Aberdeen Weekly Journal, Tuesday, July 2, 1889. http://i944.photobucket.com/albums/ad28 ... l-Hogg.jpg

“On Sunday morning the body of John Hogg, 10 years of age, son of a foreman surfaceman, residing near Camelon, was found in the Canal there.”

If that’s him the newspaper may have got the name wrong or perhaps there was initially some confusion as to identification or something else that contributed to the error.

There may be a more detailed report in a more local newspaper but not online. Falkirk Library has the Falkirk Herald on microfilm for that time period. If you can’t get there maybe you could contact them. http://www.falkirk.gov.uk/services/comm ... hives.aspx

All the best,
Alan

rhyddid

Post by rhyddid » Thu Mar 10, 2011 12:48 am

Hi Alan,
Thank you so much for that info. Yes, there must have been an identity mistake....George & John Hogg were twins. In the article it says John Hogg and on the death certificate it says George Hogg. I think George is the right name.
Thanks again
Cheers
Debbie

sai

Post by sai » Fri Jan 20, 2017 7:33 am

Hi Debbie
I have only recently discovered my link to your HOGG ancestor; my connection is through the mother of these Hogg twins you mention, namely Margaret Ann Hogg nee Allan.
She had an elder sister named Mary, who is a greatgrandmother of mine. Please contact me If you are interested in the Allan family of Camelon.
Cheers
Shirley

SarahND
Site Admin

Post by SarahND » Sat Jan 21, 2017 9:00 am

Hello Shirley and a warm welcome to [talkingscot]

Debbie last signed on to the forum in March 2011, but if she still has the same email address she may receive a notification of your post. Fingers crossed!

Best wishes,
Sarah