William Cowan and Catherine Marr

Looking for Scottish Ancestors

Moderator: Global Moderators

honda

William Cowan and Catherine Marr

Post by honda » Tue Nov 22, 2011 2:38 am

Hello I am looking for any family connection to William Cowan and Catherine Cowan (Marr) he was a high class tailor/cutter 17 Union Street, Ayr in the late 1800's. Their children being Agnes Cowan b. 15 April 1887 married William Simpson. Twins John Cowan and James Marr Cowan born 19 Nov 1888. John married Agnes Morrison Johnston and James Marr marries Annie Hillen. In 1890 William and Catherine had another set of twins Catherine Knox Cowan and William Cowan. Catherine married William George Gibson and William marries Jane Campbell. Any information would be greatly appreciated. John Cowan and Agnes Morrison Johnston being my family line.

SarahND
Site Admin

Re: William Cowan and Catherine Marr

Post by SarahND » Sun Dec 11, 2011 9:54 pm

Hello honda,
I'm not sure exactly what kind of information you are looking for on this family. It is fairly easy to go backward in the censuses and find William's parents John Cowan and Agnes Wright and grandparents William Cowan and Margaret McConnell and even great grandparents David Cowan and Margaret Rodger (if I have this right)... so I'm assuming that this is not where you're stuck.

If you could be more specific about what you are searching for, we can be of more help.

All the best,
Sarah

honda

Post by honda » Wed Dec 14, 2011 3:16 am

Hello Sarah yes I should have been more specific. I posted that message in the hope a family member might come across it and get in contact. Thankyou

familytreecowan

Post by familytreecowan » Thu Sep 28, 2017 4:50 pm

Hi there,

I have some information on John and James Cowan. James is my husband's grandfather. He lived in Vancouver and Victoria with his wife Annie Hillen and their son, my father-in-law, John Caldwell Cowan.

John immigrated to Australia and died in an accident March 25, 1930 at Bunnerong Power House in Sydney.

Let me know if you would like any more info.

Karen Cowan

SarahND
Site Admin

Post by SarahND » Thu Sep 28, 2017 5:44 pm

Hello Karen and a warm [TS_welcome]

Honda hasn't been on the forum since Feb 2013, but there is hope that if s/he still has the same email address, then a message will be sent informing of your post. Otherwise, you could try sending a private message.

Best wishes,
Sarah

familytreecowan

Post by familytreecowan » Thu Sep 28, 2017 10:31 pm

Hi Sarah, thank you for the welcome and also for the suggestion. Do I just click on the little dialogue box on the side to send a private message. I'm new to Talking Scot.

I have been working on Ancestry.com for both sides of my husband's family. I think TalkingScot is a great website.

Karen

SarahND
Site Admin

Post by SarahND » Fri Sep 29, 2017 1:58 am

Hi Karen,
Yes, on the side where it says "Contact" you choose "send a private message." At least that is what it looks like on my computer :)

I hope you manage to get in touch!

Sarah

honda

Post by honda » Sat Jan 20, 2018 2:53 am

Hi Sarah or Karen

Karen I am the grandaughter of John Cowan. James Marr Cowan being his twin brother. Would love to make contact again as I am the person you once contacted in Australia. I will try and send a private message. Cheers Honda