George Smith Nicholson

Looking for Scottish Ancestors

Moderator: Global Moderators

nicholsonbymarriage

George Smith Nicholson

Post by nicholsonbymarriage » Sat Oct 13, 2012 8:13 pm

Can anyone please advise me where else to search for the birth of George Smith Nicholson born 1854 - 1859 in Brechin, Angus.(I know his place of birth from the 1911 census) I have searched Scotlands People site and also visited Brechin in the hope of uncovering something - but no luck

From his 2 marriage certs. I know that his father was John Nicholson, a farmer. (George married twice both times in Liverpool in 1877 and 1902 and died in Liverpool in 1912). He worked in Liverpool from 1876 as a Coachman/Tram/Electric car Driver)

I can't find any trace of his birth at all and nor can I find him (or his father) in 1861 and 1871 census in Scotland or England. There is a possibility that George was illegitimate because I can't find a marriage for his father John and John did already have an illegitimate daughter Isabella Nicholson born 1849 to Ann Duncan

His father, John Nicholson, also had a brother called George Smith Nicholson born 1824 who, although I found his birth record also seems to have vanished from the records.

Any advice would be very much appreciated to help me get over this brick wall

Thanks
Susan Nicholson

SarahND
Site Admin

Re: George Smith Nicholson

Post by SarahND » Sat Oct 13, 2012 10:25 pm

Hello Susan and [TS_welcome]
If I understand correctly, you don't know George's mother's name, which is a problem for finding him in the early censuses if he was living with her. That's the unfortunate thing about him marrying and dying in England, where only the father's name is given on the certificate.

If he was illegitimate, then there may be discussion of this in the Kirk Session records. Crossing my fingers that this is true!

Was Isabella Nicholson also born in Brechin?

All the best,
Sarah

nelmit

Post by nelmit » Sat Oct 13, 2012 11:07 pm

Was his first wife Mary Griffiths?

According to the 1881 census the George Nicholson who was married to Mary Griffiths was born at Ireland about 1854.

I see his children with their uncle in 1891 but at the moment I can't find George. It looks like all the children have the middle name of Ford - maybe this is a clue. :?

The George in 1911 is married to Ann Bent and says he was born at Brechin in 1859.

I take it you are absolutely positive they are the same person?

Like Sarah says it's difficult to find an illegitimate birth in Scotland without a mother's name.

Regards,
Annette

nicholsonbymarriage

Post by nicholsonbymarriage » Sun Oct 14, 2012 9:02 pm

Thanks so much to Sarah and Annette for taking the time to reply to my query. I am delighted as I wasn't sure that anyone would answer.

To answer your questions - yes I am pretty sure that the George Nicholson with Mary and children in the 1881 Liverpool census is the same person who appears in the 1911 census married to Anne Bent because George used his middle name of Smith on the marriage certificate of at least one of his sons Robert Ford Nicholson in 1901. I took the fact that it says he was born in Ireland down to the fact that if he had an accent perhaps the enumerator mistook it for an Irish accent !

I have wondered if the middle name of Ford that he gave to his children may have been the maiden name of his mother and I know that there were some Ford families in Brechin at the time of George's birth.

His first wife Mary died in 1889 and although the children were living with their uncle in 1891 census, I haven't been able to find George at all. He appears as a boarder in the 1901 census aged 43 and ditto marks are used saying that he was born in Liverpool, but this could be because the form was filled in the by the landlord who didn't really know where he was born.

John Nicholson (his possible father) had an illegitimate daughter Isabella Nicholson and she was born in Brechin in 1849.

I had wondered about trying to search the Kirk sessions for a mention of George's possible illegitimate birth but as I live in Liverpool it would be difficult - I wonder if I can be cheeky and ask would anybody be willing to possibly search for me. I would be very grateful but in the meantime I will keep on searching online to see what I can find

Thanks again
best wishes
Susan

JeanNicholson Stokes

Post by JeanNicholson Stokes » Fri Apr 08, 2016 1:34 pm

Hi Susan. If when you come online can you get in touch we are relatives of George Smith Nicholson. Thanks. Jean

SarahND
Site Admin

Post by SarahND » Fri Apr 08, 2016 1:48 pm

Hello Jean and [TS_welcome]

Susan last visited the forum over 2 years ago, but fingers crossed that she still uses the same email and that she ticked the box to get notifications for further posts on this topic! I'm sure she would be very pleased to hear from you.

Best wishes,
Sarah

JeanNicholson Stokes

Post by JeanNicholson Stokes » Sat Apr 09, 2016 1:48 pm

Hello Sarah,
Many thanks. In fact Susan came online and has replied. Looks like we really need to get together and swop what information we have on the family> So exciting. All thanks to your lovely website.
Many thanks again
Jean :D

SarahND
Site Admin

Post by SarahND » Sat Apr 09, 2016 2:32 pm

=D> [talkingscot] [scotland-flag]

:D
Sarah

nicholsonbymarriage

Post by nicholsonbymarriage » Sat Feb 03, 2018 8:46 pm

I know it's a long time ago since I originally put up this post about George Smith Nicholson born in Brechin, Angust but I am no nearer to finding his birth/baptism and his mother's name.

If there is anyone out there with new information I hope you will get in touch

Any advice would be very welcome
Thanks
Susan