John McCREADIE Buried Where In Ayr?

Looking for Scottish Ancestors

Moderator: Global Moderators

q98929

John McCREADIE Buried Where In Ayr?

Post by q98929 » Sun Aug 10, 2014 3:09 am

John McCreadie, 8 Allison Street, Newton, died on 2nd August 1879. The cause of death was recorded as “On board No. 1 tug boat Ayr Harbour, crushed to death under the lever of a (steam) engine”. He was the tug's Stoker. "The Scotsman, 4th August 1879" reported the death but incorrectly identified him as “John Mackenzie”. However, in the following days edition, it was corrected to “Macreadie” (incorrect spelling).

I believe the custom of the time was for remains to be buried in the Parish of birth; in John's case, Ballantrae. During a visit to my birth place of Saltcoats, I travelled to Girvan Registry Office where the Ballantrae records are held. John was not buried in Ballantrae. Logically, this leaves only the environs of Ayr.

I have traced his widow, who re-married, and their 3 children and descendants to Australia and U.S.A. John's resting place is the sole missing piece of information. I would be extremely grateful if someone were able to assist.

Thank you.
q98929
Fremantle
Western Australia

nelmit

Re: John McCREADIE Buried Where In Ayr?

Post by nelmit » Sun Aug 10, 2014 1:35 pm

Hello and welcome to Talking Scot.

We have a member Jim McCreadie who has been on the same quest for quite a while now. I'm sure he's be delighted to hear from you.

Here's a link to a previous thread.

viewtopic.php?f=54&t=12949&p=124159&hil ... ug#p124159

Regards,
Annette

q98929

Post by q98929 » Sun Aug 10, 2014 4:33 pm

Hi and thanks nelmit :D

One and the same - ME! I've been chasing this info since 2007 ](*,) and getting nowhere.

John McCreadie Jnr enlisted in the Australian Imperial Force, was killed on the Western Front and is commemorated on the Australian War Memorial (AWM) Walls of Remembrance. During my own military service in Canberra, I noticed his name, and that was the start of this addictive hobby. Initially, I thought we were not related but the deeper I dug, the more I found. He was my 2nd cousin, 3 times removed. Each Anzac Day (25 April), following the Dawn Service, a mate living in Canberra places a poppy at John's name.

When my research is complete, I intend to offer it to AWM to compliment his Military Service Record. Naturally, no living descendants will be identifed. His father's resting place is the sole missing piece of data.

Jim
q98929
Fremantle
Western Australia

Currie

Post by Currie » Tue Aug 12, 2014 12:48 pm

Hello Jim,

The British Newspaper Archive has at least three additional Scottish newspapers with reports of the accident. Maybe there's something extra in those, but chances are there's no more than from the Ayr Advertiser kindly supplied by BP in the other thread.
http://www.britishnewspaperarchive.co.u ... rder=score

Alan

paddyscar
Site Admin

Post by paddyscar » Tue Aug 12, 2014 2:58 pm

Hi Jim:

My suggestion would be to contact the Ayrshire Public Libraries http://www.south-ayrshire.gov.uk/libraries/

Their web page has a 'Local & Family History' link and also a 'History Blog', along with library contact information.

Local libraries often have information that has been collected or donated to them, which has not been published elsewhere, so it is often worthwhile to contact them personally.

Paddyscar
John Kelly (b 22 Sep 1897) eldest child of John Kelly & Christina Lipsett Kelly of Glasgow

q98929

Post by q98929 » Thu Aug 14, 2014 5:45 am

Thanks folks. The 3 BNA articles are no more than I already have :( which was extracted from "The Scotsman". Curiously, this prestigous newspaper''s version isn't listed on BNA.
q98929
Fremantle
Western Australia

winslowsmom

Post by winslowsmom » Fri Aug 15, 2014 2:33 am

It might be worth trying to contact the South Ayrshire Council by telephone or e mail to ask for help. From their page, it looks as if records for most of Ayr (in the event he was buried there instead of his birthplace) as well as Ballantrae are held at the Masonhill Crematorium. See what they say ! Sometimes it is a slow day and someone is feeling helpful. http://www.south-ayrshire.gov.uk/regist ... fices.aspx

I hope you have some luck.

Cathy Hatfield

q98929

Post by q98929 » Sat Aug 16, 2014 3:16 pm

Thanks Cathy
I have been in contact with South Ayrshire Council which checked the burial register for Ayr Cemetery and he does not appear to have been buried there. The lady did say there are two smaller cemeteries in Ayr; Newton Green and Wallacetoun, for which they have very poor records, mainly MIs in which his name does not appear. She emphasised that was not to say he was not buried there but that the records are sparse. She forwarded my e-mail to the Ayrshire Archives Team in the hope they may be able to unearth more information.

So now we await developments!
q98929
Fremantle
Western Australia

q98929

Post by q98929 » Thu Sep 10, 2015 5:28 pm

Updating my ](*,) .

May I respectfully request a fellow contributor check South Ayrshire Cemetery records at Masonhill Crematorium, Ayr for a long-sought burial location?

I have been unable to locate John McCREADIE's burial location by way of MIs for Ayr, Newton Green or Wallacetown cemeteries. Most probably, his widow Margaret was unable to purchase a headstone. I have proven he was not buried in Ballantrae, his Parish of birth, as was the custom of that era. This leaves only one further source; the burial records themselves held at Masonhill Crematorium.

Any assistance is greatly appreciated.

q98929 (formerly of Saltcoats)
Western Australia

q98929

Post by q98929 » Tue Jul 11, 2017 4:21 am

As this quest has driven me since 2009, I would gratefully receive any suggestions to progress my search regarding the burial details of the following ancestor:
Name: McCREADIE, John
Address: 8 Allison Street, Newton, Ayr
Age at Death: 31 Years (b. 13 July 1848, Ballantrae)
Time/Date of Death: 9PM, 2 August 1879
Location of Death: Onboard No.1 tugboat, 3/4 mile offshore Ayr Harbour

To date, the following resources have been checked without success:
Burial Records for Ballantrae (Place of Birth) maintained at Girvan Registry Office.
Monumental Inscriptions of Cemeteries (in order of closest proximity to residence): Wallacetown, Newton Green and Ayr Auld Kirk.
southayrshire.gov.uk Ayr Registrars, Archives and Cemeteries Office.

It is unlikely John was buried in a Pauper's Grave as he was in long-term employment although this is no guarantee.
q98929
Fremantle
Western Australia