Miss Bester photographed outside a house called 'Janeville'

Looking for Scottish Ancestors

Moderator: Global Moderators

doddie

Miss Bester photographed outside a house called 'Janeville'

Post by doddie » Tue Sep 23, 2014 7:14 am

Real detective work needed for this one. I have come across an old photograph which, though it is not directly related to any line of my family research at present, has piqued my curiosity. I have English and Scottish sides to my family so have decided to tackle the matter bit by bit. If the photograph has Scottish connections it will more than likely relate to the Argyll area. The photograph is a small b&w one. I guess it was taken in the 1920s/early 1930s. It features a group shot taken at the front door of a house. In writing on the reverse it says, "Davie, Jock, Miss Bester, Anna & me at Janeville front door. Jock's wife took it, it was raining". The names suggest a relevance to Scotland. I have briefly been on Ancestry this morning but have not come up with anything remotely relevant so far. I am hoping that the information supplied may ring a bell with somebody. All feedback appreciated.

Regards

Doddie

doddie

Re: Miss Bester photographed outside a house called 'Janevil

Post by doddie » Tue Sep 23, 2014 8:09 am

Have just discovered that there is a house called 'Janeville' along Glenburn Road, Ardrishaig in Argyll which narrows things down. I may manage a visit to the records office in Edinburgh in a week or two's time to check the relevant census records. Still hoping though that someone might be able to help with names.

Regards

Doddie

LesleyB

Post by LesleyB » Thu Sep 25, 2014 7:20 pm

Hi Doddie

That is great that you have managed to make some progress with this. Have you had a look on Google Maps Street View of the street? You may be able to spot the house and establish if it is the same Janesville. The census records from the 1920s-30s can't yet be viewed as they are less than 100years old.

Best wishes
Lesley

doddie

Post by doddie » Fri Sep 26, 2014 8:10 am

Hi Lesley, I have made some more progress (sort of). I had talked to my mother (who is now almost 82) about this photograph previously but she said it didn't ring any bells. Since then she has told me that she remembers visiting 'Janeville' when she was a wee girl. This suggests that the people in the photograph may have a family connection. I have done as you suggested and checked out Goggle Maps. Unfortunately I have been a bit unlucky. A lot of the houses are set back form the road and are sometimes obscured by trees etc so establishing definite 'identity' markers has proved tricky. I am soon due to visit the National Archives here in Edinburgh on some other matters so I will see what I can find out. Although the most recent census available is obvioulsy the one for 1911, if I keep my fingers crossed I may still find out somehting. From what I have found out on Ancestry Bester is a surname that barely features at all in Scottish censuses. I will keep beavering away and see what I can come up with.

Regards

Doddie

WilmaM

Post by WilmaM » Fri Sep 26, 2014 9:12 am

What about trying the Valuation rolls?
There is 1915 and 1920 which could help.

A you say Bester is a very uncommon name only 7 born in Scotland and only 1 of them female
So I'd try looking at the deaths - 4 females with that name [maiden or married] but none in Argyll.

An interesting puzzle, do let us know if you solve it.

doddie

Post by doddie » Fri Sep 26, 2014 10:31 am

Yes, I'll be sure to post the results of my endeavours. The rarity of Besters in Scotland suggests to me a visitor from England possibly, maybe an in-law connection? Thank you for the reminder about the Valuation rolls, I'd completely forgotten about them. The game is afoot!

Regards

Doddie

nelmit

Post by nelmit » Mon Sep 29, 2014 1:43 pm

I take it these are the houses you have looked at - https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@56.02342 ... e0!6m1!1e1 at Ardrishaig.

If you put Janeville in to the Royal Mail postcode finder 4 results come up. I only chose the above as it is in Argyll but the one in Alexandria sounds as though it's been a house split in to flats.

Regards,
Annette

davieg

Post by davieg » Mon Sep 29, 2014 2:00 pm

Bester is a very common Afrikaans name in South Africa, perhaps an overseas visitor?

doddie

Post by doddie » Thu Oct 02, 2014 2:38 pm

Annette, decided to have a glance at the building in Alexandria as well. Had a look at on Google Maps Street View. I will make a comparison with the photo I have as there is maybe enough frontage to decide whether it is the same house. As I have very strong connections with Ardrishaig I pretty much suspect that the house is the one along Glenburn Road, but there is no harm in widening the search. Checked the Valuation Rolls and found 'Janeville' in Ardrishaig. The name 'Mrs D. Wright - widow' was listed in connection to it. Still investigatinfg this line of inquiry.

Thanks

Doddie
Last edited by doddie on Fri Oct 03, 2014 1:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

nelmit

Post by nelmit » Thu Oct 02, 2014 10:11 pm

So........I think Davie could be David Wright a joiner who was born at Dunoon in 1857. There is a death indexed at SP of a David Wright of the right age at Lochgilphead in 1913 which is a bit early if you think the photo was taken in 1925 ish but maybe it was a member of his family in the photo.

His widow would be known as Mrs D Wright.

I'm still having a rummage about so I'll get back to you if I find anything else that may be of interest.

Regards,
Annette