Miss Bester photographed outside a house called 'Janeville'

Looking for Scottish Ancestors

Moderator: Global Moderators

doddie

Re: Miss Bester photographed outside a house called 'Janevil

Post by doddie » Fri Oct 03, 2014 10:04 am

Annette, I have to thank you for going beyond the call of duty with your assistance in this matter. It is one of reasons in general that I like using this site. Everybody seems happy to pitch in. When I was at the records office the photo was one of several things I was looking into. I just ran out of time to investigate any further. I plan to ask my mother if the name Wright rings any bells with her. I am going to try and find out if this David Wright possibly had a brother John (Jock) and a wife called Anna. The date estimate of the photo is purely my own. It is perfectly possible that it was taken earlier than I have previously stated. With regards to the individuals featured, Miss Bester looks to be in her seventies or eighties the others look like they are in their late fifties/early sixties.

Thanks

Doddie

doddie

Post by doddie » Tue Oct 07, 2014 11:47 am

Was back at the records office yesterday. Have been unable to advance my investigation. Attempts to try and find a family name with common links to a Davie, Jock (john) and Anna is proving almost impossible, though this is not surprising under the circumstances. Managed, by trial and error, to find 'Janeville' in the 1901 & 1911 censuses for Ardrishaig and came across a McAlpine family living there (which is a surname that does correspond to a branch of my family). I know going backwards is actually creating more vagueness and confusion but curiosity got the better of me.

If I'm honest, I think this is all going to end up in a brick wall, but I will keep bashing away for a short while yet.

Regards

Doddie

doddie

Post by doddie » Tue Nov 11, 2014 7:58 am

Have had no more luck. Have at least managed, after some examination, to rule out the Google Street View photo of the house in Alexandria as the 'Janeville' in the old B&W photo. I think I have managed to locate the correct house in Ardrishaig but will have to wait until I visit relatives there to have a proper look.

Regards

Doddie

PeteCampbell

Post by PeteCampbell » Wed May 06, 2015 6:33 pm

Not sure if this helps any of you.
This link (https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B-Csal ... sp=sharing) is to a sheet from the 1891 UK census showing my wife's great grandfather James Riddoch working for a David Wright, a joiner, in Toward near Dunoon. This David Wright was aged 66 in 1891, and I guess he could be the father of the David Wright you're looking for.

StewL

Post by StewL » Thu May 07, 2015 7:46 am

Hello Pete
[TS_welcome]
I am sure your joining the forum and this topic will be very welcome
Enjoy the site! [cheers]
Stewie

Searching for: Anderson, Balks, Barton, Courtney, Davidson, Downie, Dunlop, Edward, Flucker, Galloway, Graham, Guthrie, Higgins, Laurie, Mathieson, McLean, McLuckie, Miln, Nielson, Payne, Phillips, Porterfield, Stewart, Watson

doddie

Re: Miss Bester photographed outside a house called 'Janeville'

Post by doddie » Mon Feb 18, 2019 4:24 pm

Have come back to this thread after a chat with a friend. It is just possible that there is a Campbell connection to 'Janeville'. My friend says one of his aunts inherited the house - or possibly just one of the floors - from a maternal aunt of hers. My friends aunt's maiden name was Muller (or variants of that name) and her mother's maiden name was Campbell. I found out this connection just by chance this week while visiting Ardrishaig. This 'Janeville' is located along Glenburn Road not far along from the Grey Gull Hotel' (formerly the Royal Hotel). The rear of the house looks onto the Crinan Canal. I have been on Ancestry but because of the vagueness of my information I am having little success progressing my research. If anybody has any ideas or can help in my search I would be grateful. If the new information is correct some of the people in the old photo could therefore be David, Jock (or John) and Anna/Anne Campbell. Apparently prior to the 'Janeville' connection my friends aunt's maternal ancestors may have been quite well-heeled. The Campbells apparently lived in quite a grand house at the back of Lochgilphead. As usual all help much appreciated.

Regards

Doddie