Garland family from Old Machar Aberdeen

Looking for Scottish Ancestors

Moderator: Global Moderators

fenz51

Re: Garland family from Old Machar Aberdeen

Post by fenz51 » Sat Feb 23, 2019 11:10 am

Hi Everyone,

I have to tell you Geoff that you are not on the right track, sadly.
John Garland and Mary Donaldson Henderson are my g.g.grandparents.
John migrated to Australia in 1840 and after a number of years went back to Scotland to his father.
Mary was his father Thomas's housemaid.
John and Mary travelled to London and were married in 1852 and sailed back to Australia. They lived at Lochinvar and surrounding areas
in the Hunter Valley all of their lives and yes they had a family of 12.
The Bellsite!!!!!!......well, he is not even related to our Garland Family.
My sisters and I have a very well researched tree that goes back to the 1600s and documents to back it up.
Geoff I did answer your post on Genealogy.com as well tonight. Back in 2010 I was in contact with David Allan and I did a lot of research
for him at the time. I have emailed him tonight as well.
My youngest sister and I are having another look at this again to see where your Garland family might
fit in seeing your Garland family named their property "Ardlethen" which was the property name owned by Thomas Garland b. 1763 and then his son Thomas and then his son Thomas.

Kind regards
Chris

Geoff Bates

Re: Garland family from Old Machar Aberdeen

Post by Geoff Bates » Mon Mar 20, 2023 2:55 am

Hi all,

It turns out that John Garland who died in 1892 in Greta, NSW is indeed the 'more than likely' father of Thomas Garland (1850-1923). DNA matching across several different platforms has confirmed that John had several unions prior to his marriage in 1852, resulting in a number of illegitimate children including Thomas Garland to Christina Blachree. This has solved a long running mystery in my family, and allowed me to start researching the Blachree/Blachrie family which has been very interesting. Christina Blachrie daughter of George and Margaret (nee Buchan) of Colehill Ellon married Andrew Bishop in Preston, Cranston, Midlothian in 1860 and had two daughters. Christina died in Pencaitland, Midlothian in 1897. I would like to think that she played a part in Thomas' upbringing.

Regards
Geoff