William Innes of Gamrie (18th C.)

Looking for Scottish Ancestors

Moderator: Global Moderators

Berowald

William Innes of Gamrie (18th C.)

Post by Berowald » Fri Dec 16, 2016 6:48 pm

William Innes of Gamrie born sometime before 1771. Not known where he was born or when. He was Presbyterian. He had atleast one son Peter Innes who moved to Foggieloan in Marnoch and was born in 1771. His Wifes name was Helen Marr.

Occupation is also unkown, Possibly a Labourer as his son was too.

I recently found a project done by some relatives in New Zealand with help from my Grandfather, But I cannot for the life of me find anything on our oldest known Ancestor; William Innes. If anyone knows anything about him please message me, And i'd appreciate any advice on finding any information on him. I'm not too sure if he was actually born in Gamrie as he could have moved their looking for work like his son did when he moved to Foggieloan, If he wasn't born in Gamrie i'd guess he was born in Morayshire somewhere but I really have no idea.

Also on Scotlands People William is listed as just "Will." when looking at his sons birth.

trish1

Re: William Innes of Gamrie (18th C.)

Post by trish1 » Fri Dec 16, 2016 11:29 pm

Family search https://familysearch.org/search has 3 children born to William and Helen, all baptised in Gamrie, Banff
Helen born 20 Nov 1769, Peter born 16 Frv 1771 and Margaret born 4 dec 1774

You will also find these records on ScotlandsPeople.gov.uk - although at the minute I can't see the option to provide the parent names in the search (used to be there?) On SP you can also pay to view the church register image which sometimes have further details including occupation, but 1770 may be a little early for this information to be in the register.

Trish

Berowald

Re: William Innes of Gamrie (18th C.)

Post by Berowald » Sun Dec 18, 2016 12:16 am

Thank you very much! I think I have just found a William Innes that fits on ScotlandsPeople.