Ellen 'Helen' Bain 1872–1954

Looking for Scottish Ancestors

Moderator: Global Moderators

kirstykiwi

Ellen 'Helen' Bain 1872–1954

Post by kirstykiwi » Wed Jan 17, 2018 9:48 pm

Hi,

I'm trying to find more information on my great-grandmother, Ellen 'Helen' Bain 1872–1954. Is anyone able to help?

Born September 4, 1872 Aberlour, Banffshire, Scotland, her father, Peter, was 25, and her mother, Isabella, was 24. I can't find anything past this generation either.

She had one son with Morris Myron, John Myron (my grandfather) 2 JUL 1913, Dufftown, Aberdeenshire. It says born 'llegitimately' on his birth certificate but then on his marriage certificate to my grandmother it says Morris Myron & Helen Myron. However, I can't find Helen 'Ellen' & Morris' marriage certificate OR her death certificate. Did she marry someone else? Morris trail goes cold as well and it appears he died 'single' in 28 DEC 1944, Dufftown.

Thanks!
Kirsty

AndrewP
Site Admin

Re: Ellen 'Helen' Bain 1872–1954

Post by AndrewP » Thu Jan 18, 2018 12:01 am

Hi Kirsty,

To go back on Ellen's family line, you can find her parents' death certificates on ScotlandsPeople. These give the names of their parents, thus taking you back one more generation. On looking for the mother, you know that you are searching 1872 onwards. She is quite easily found in Dufftown, Mortlach registration district. That certificate shows that Peter registered Isabella's death. So on seeking his death, you have a start year of Isabella's death year. He too is found in Dufftown, Mortlach registration district. The parents' names are also confirmed on Peter and Isabella's marriage certificates.

Assuming all the information on these two death certificates is correct, then you know that the Peter's parents were both dead before him; and Isabella's father was dead before her, but her mother is not marked as deceased. That gives you some starting points to seek their death certificates, and hopefully find the names of their parents. It looks like Isabella's parents were not married (there is no "maiden surname" by her surname). The marriage certificate also tells you which of the parents were alive or deceased at that time, so that helps to narrow down searches for their death certificates.

It may be worth trying to find them in the censuses. Starting with Ellen in her first census in 1881. That should give you ages for her parents, and birthplaces.

All the best,

AndrewP

runmerry

Re: Ellen 'Helen' Bain 1872–1954

Post by runmerry » Thu Jan 18, 2018 5:19 pm

I don't know if it would help but you should try

http://libindx.moray.gov.uk/mainmenu.asp

it's great for searching people from Moray & Banff, where I see from the place names
most of who you seem to be looking for are from and it's free to access.

Regards
Jen