Searching For Ross family

Looking for Scottish Ancestors

Moderator: Global Moderators

sail_ross1953

Searching For Ross family

Post by sail_ross1953 » Fri Feb 09, 2018 9:11 am

Hi Everyone, I am searching for information on my 2nd Great Grandfather. Charles Ross , born in 1815 or there abouts in Edinkillie ,Moray , Scotland. David was married to Janet McKenzie from Ardclach, Nairnshire, Scotland. I know there were over twenty children'.... I am looking for information on Davids parents mostly. And maybe another generation up from that...I hope someone out there can help...

Thanks in advance everyone
Suzan

Moray_Lass

Re: Searching For Ross family

Post by Moray_Lass » Fri Feb 09, 2018 8:23 pm

Welcome Suzan

Was Charles a Mason? If so his parents are be Alexander Ross and Anne Sutor... not sure where David comes into it...

Moray's Libindx seems to have quite a bit on that family

http://libindx.moray.gov.uk/mainmenu.asp (click on People Search)

If you can give us some more info we can dig deeper
Maggie

Parental -
Moray, Bellie/Boharm:- Symon, Thomson, Davidson, Gordon, Laing, Dick, Thom, Geddes.
Banffshire, Rothiemay:- Lobban, Symon
Maternal -
'Finechty Flett's'
Banffshire:- Flett, Taylor, Wood, Lorimer, Falconer

sail_ross1953

Post by sail_ross1953 » Wed Feb 28, 2018 8:07 pm

I know David was a Mason, but not sure of Charles.... Yes by my family tree, which I had to go back and Check, he was a mason...

Moray_Lass

Post by Moray_Lass » Thu Mar 01, 2018 12:01 am

Okay not sure if these are the right people because it contradicts what you have given, but...

According to Libindx

Charles Ross (NM290831) was married to Janet Mckenzie, they had a son David (NM144253) born 27 Oct 1857 in Ardclach who was married to Mary Ann Allan in 1900, parents of another David Ross. David senior was also married to Margaret Mckenzie. Alexander Ross (NM290169) born c1764, died 06 Feb 1861, Anne Souter (NM290174) parents were Alexander Souter (NM230410) and Elizabeth Begg (NM230411).

No help in finding Charles' parents if that is the right family. I just went to check Family Search and you now need to log in to do a free search (didn't last I looked there) :shock:

I hope that helps
Maggie

Parental -
Moray, Bellie/Boharm:- Symon, Thomson, Davidson, Gordon, Laing, Dick, Thom, Geddes.
Banffshire, Rothiemay:- Lobban, Symon
Maternal -
'Finechty Flett's'
Banffshire:- Flett, Taylor, Wood, Lorimer, Falconer