Looking for William Hutchison (abt. 1791)

Looking for Scottish Ancestors

Moderator: Global Moderators

SamF992

Looking for William Hutchison (abt. 1791)

Post by SamF992 » Thu Sep 27, 2018 4:47 pm

Hi all,

I've been searching for a birth or baptism record for William Hutchison for quite some time, and was directed here from RootsChat. According to census returns, he was born around 1791 in Montrose. I have a certificate showing he joined the army in 1806, and became enlisted in the Royal Devonshire Regiment, serving until 1821. At some point after this he married Alice Pingstone and lived in Tiverton, where he worked as a tailor until his death in 1863. I've not been able to find any further information on his birth parents or siblings, so any help at all would be greatly appreciated. :)

Best wishes
Samuel Fawcett

AndrewP
Site Admin

Re: Looking for William Hutchison (abt. 1791)

Post by AndrewP » Thu Sep 27, 2018 8:01 pm

Hi Samuel,

[TS_welcome]

On looking on http://www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk I looked for W*m Hu*ch*son born or baptized from 1770 to 1795 in the County of Angus and came up with only one result in 1778 in Liff, Benvie and Invergowrie parish (Established Church of Scotland); also nothing for Roman Catholic or "other churches". That parish is in the south of the county to the west of Dundee, the opposite end of the county from Montrose, and about 13 years older than you are seeking, so is very unlikely to be your man. My feeling is that like many in the years before statutory registration, that there may be no surviving record of his baptism.

Using the wildcard options, I tried with no first name, and none came up in Montrose, and 5 spellings of the surname showed up.
HUCHISON
HUTCHESON
HUTCHESSON
HUTCHISON
HUTCHSON

All the best,

AndrewP

WilmaM

Re: Looking for William Hutchison (abt. 1791)

Post by WilmaM » Fri Sep 28, 2018 11:22 am

Do his marriage or death records not hold any clues? even his father's name?

Looking at the 1841 census Hutchison wasn't very common in Montrose - only 4!

I wonder where else you could look? nothing in his army record I assume.

It is, as Andrew said, a time period where records are sketchy at best, non-existent/never existed at worst.
Wilma