Re my 4 times Great Grandfather John Milne

Looking for Scottish Ancestors

Moderator: Global Moderators

Sandal

Re my 4 times Great Grandfather John Milne

Post by Sandal » Sat Jan 26, 2019 9:10 am

Hi there, about 8-10 years this fabulous site helped me find my Greig Ancestors who emigrated to Australia. It really was a huge help and got me on the ancestor trail.
For some time now I have been focusing on my Milne ancestors but have run into a brick wall with my 4 time Great G'father John Milne. He is the father of James Milne B 1803 at Rashiebottom farm, Keithhall and Kinkell, and the mother is recorded as Mary Bean. On James's Death Certificate his father is recorded as John Milne, Occupation, Mason. John and Mary go on to have four more children but the mothers name is then registered as Mary Bain. James's daughter Mary and her husband George Greig are the ancestors who emigrated to Australia.

My thinking is that if his son James's birth place is Rashiebottom then perhaps it was also John's home or perhaps John was the tenant at that time. However I can not find any records for his birth or death. I would be interested to find who had the Rashiebottom croft before James. I do have a copy of an Aberdeenshire Ordinance Survey 1865-1877 for Rashiebottom, and James Milne is still the tenant. James died at Rashiebottom in 1891. The property was owned by the Right Hon the Earl of Kintore.

Until I can find John's Death Certificate which may give his parents names, I can't go any further back at the moment. I have my tree on Ancestry and most people have John as being from the Boyndie Milne family but I don't think my John is part of that family - otherwise his son would not have been born at Rashiebottom.

I would appreciate any help or ideas. Many thanks.

WilmaM

Re: Re my 4 times Great Grandfather John Milne

Post by WilmaM » Sat Jan 26, 2019 12:30 pm

Have you had a look at the census records for the parents?
They aren't at Rashiebottom with James in 1841/51, and I can't see any obvious ones on their own, so they may be living with their other children.

If James was born at Rashiebottom and was the oldest child, then his mother could well have returned to her own home to give birth and the Milnes were living elsewhere. What are the birthplaces of the younger siblings?

The valuation rolls only go as far back as 1855 .
Wilma

Sandal

Post by Sandal » Sun Jan 27, 2019 6:14 am

Hi WilmaM, I have search and searched the Census for a long time and find it very confusing! I recently found a record in the 1841 Census which I had not though was my John and Mary, because of the area being Leochel-Cushine, Little Lynturk. John Milne 64ys and Mary Milne 65yrs. Occupation: Woollen HLW. I had assumed that John was from perhaps Rashiebottom and then St Nicholas Aberdeen. I've attached the record to my tree just so I don't lose it but I don't think it is them, but I could be wrong - the years would work out ol.

Just on another note, I thought last time I searched in TalkingScot that I could get the Census info from here, but I don't seem to be able to now? I am just using Ancestry at the moment.

Re James birth at Rashiebottom - I hadn't thought of that - the mother giving birth in her own home. I was thinking perhaps Rashiebottom was John's family home! I wish I could find out who had the tennancy of Rashiebottom at that time.
The other 4 siblings to James are all born in St Nicholas, Aberdeen to the same father as he is listed as a Mason on all births, except on the last four the mother is Mary Bain, not Bean. Bean could have been just a spelling mistake though.

Thanks Wilma,

AndrewP
Site Admin

Post by AndrewP » Sun Jan 27, 2019 11:03 am

TalkingScot has never held any records, so you never consulted the censuses here. What TalkingScot has is general information about the censuses, found at the following webpage, with associated sub-pages.

http://www.talkingscot.com/censuses/census-intro.htm

Also on TalkingScot is the TalkingScot Library, where articles on various aspects of genealogy can be found. Some of these articles are about the censuses. The TalkingScot Library is part of this forum, and can only be seen when you are logged in. On looking at the forum initial page (board index), the TalkingScot Library is a forum section near to the top of the page. It is good for a rummage around.

Digitised images of the original Scottish census pages are only found online on the ScotlandsPeople website; these have never been sold on to any of the genealogy websites. These same pages can be accessed on microfilm at some local history libraries, and at LDS Family History Centres. Transcriptions of the Scottish Censuses (either in entirety, or in significant parts) can be found on websites, such as Ancestry, Findmypast and FreeCen (and probably more that haven't come to mind at this time).

All the best,

AndrewP

nelmit

Post by nelmit » Sun Jan 27, 2019 3:09 pm

Sandal wrote:
Sun Jan 27, 2019 6:14 am
Hi WilmaM, I have search and searched the Census for a long time and find it very confusing! I recently found a record in the 1841 Census which I had not though was my John and Mary, because of the area being Leochel-Cushine, Little Lynturk. John Milne 64ys and Mary Milne 65yrs. Occupation: Woollen HLW. I had assumed that John was from perhaps Rashiebottom and then St Nicholas Aberdeen. I've attached the record to my tree just so I don't lose it but I don't think it is them, but I could be wrong - the years would work out ol.
I had a search at SP for that Mary's death. She died in 1861 and looks like her maiden name was Downie.

Regards,
Annette

nelmit

Post by nelmit » Sun Jan 27, 2019 3:13 pm

nelmit wrote:
Sun Jan 27, 2019 3:09 pm
Sandal wrote:
Sun Jan 27, 2019 6:14 am
I had a search at SP for that Mary's death. Looks like she died in 1861 and her maiden name was Downie.

Regards,
Annette

Currie

Post by Currie » Mon Jan 28, 2019 2:28 am

Hello Sandal,

You may be thinking of Freecen. A work in progress with very good transcriptions but no images. https://www.freecen.org.uk/search_queries/new

Here's the previous Rashiebottom thread. viewtopic.php?f=3&t=12907&hilit=rashiebottom

I couldn't find much in the newspapers, only this advert. It looks like the same place. That's 4 horses and 12 head of cattle being sold. Seems a lot to be going all at once for a farm of only 22 acres. https://imgur.com/a/Q7cVTVI

The Aberdeen Journal, Wednesday, March 10, 1830
ADVERTISEMENT.
There is to be exposed by public roup, at Rashie Boddoms, in the parish of Keith Hall, belonging to JOHN LAW, upon the 17th day of March curt.
A WORK STALLION, well known as a traveller and sure foal getter; 2 WORK MARES, one in foal; a COLT; 5 very fine MILK COWS; 3 two-year-old QUEYS; 2 one-year-old STOTS; 2 one-year-old QUEYS.
The roup to begin at 11 o'clock forenoon, and credit will be given on security.

Have you seen this will on SP?

Milne
James
3/6/1892
Farmer, Rashiebottom, Parish of Keithhall, d. 14/12/1891 at Rashiebottom, testate
Will
Aberdeen Sheriff Court Wills
SC1/37/109

Hope this helps,
Alan

AndrewP
Site Admin

Post by AndrewP » Mon Jan 28, 2019 7:35 am

Currie wrote:
Mon Jan 28, 2019 2:28 am
I couldn't find much in the newspapers, only this advert. It looks like the same place. That's 4 horses and 12 head of cattle being sold. Seems a lot to be going all at once for a farm of only 22 acres. https://imgur.com/a/Q7cVTVI

The Aberdeen Journal, Wednesday, March 10, 1830
ADVERTISEMENT.
There is to be exposed by public roup, at Rashie Boddoms, in the parish of Keith Hall, belonging to JOHN LAW, upon the 17th day of March curt.
A WORK STALLION, well known as a traveller and sure foal getter; 2 WORK MARES, one in foal; a COLT; 5 very fine MILK COWS; 3 two-year-old QUEYS; 2 one-year-old STOTS; 2 one-year-old QUEYS.
The roup to begin at 11 o'clock forenoon, and credit will be given on security.

Hope this helps,
Alan
Hi Sandal,

A public roup was normally an auction raised (through the courts?) by a creditor to force a debt to be settled. The above items may have been all of value that the debtor had.

All the best,

AndrewP

Sandal

Post by Sandal » Fri Mar 01, 2019 7:38 am

Thanks Andrew, I hadn't seen that before.

Sandal

Post by Sandal » Fri Mar 01, 2019 8:30 am

I can't seem to give individual thanks and comments at the moment to all who have helped with my queries. I've been away for a while and am not sure what I am doing wrong but just wanted to say many thanks to all who have replied.

Regards to all.