Josiah Lorimer of Sanquhar, Dumfriesshire

Looking for Scottish Ancestors

Moderator: Global Moderators

Geoff Bates

Josiah Lorimer of Sanquhar, Dumfriesshire

Post by Geoff Bates » Tue Dec 10, 2019 7:11 am

Hi,
I'm researching Josiah Lorimer who died in Sanquhar in 1846. He was the head school teacher at Crichton Academy. He left a wife (Mary Cook) and several young children, one being my 3 x great grandmother Jane Sloan Lorimer. Mary died the same year leaving the children orphaned.
I can't find a birth record for Josiah, but other records put his birth year at 1797. Just wondering if anyone can shed some light on the ancestry of Josiah ?

Regards
Geoff

AndrewP
Site Admin

Re: Josiah Lorimer of Sanquhar, Dumfriesshire

Post by AndrewP » Tue Dec 10, 2019 7:36 am

Hi Geoff,

I take it you have seen the 1841 census for the family group: Josiah (or Joseph), Mary, 8 children (ages from 12 down to 1 month), and a second adult Mary Lorimer/Lermer (of an age to be Josiah's sister). Unfortunately the 1841 census doesn't tell you the relationship of the family members to the head of the household. All of these people were born in Dumfriesshire (the 1841 census only says born in the same county as living in at the time of the census, or not). As the couple lived for another 5 years, there could have been more children before the parents' deaths.

ScotlandsPeople lists the family as Lorimer, with Joseph at the head of the household. Ancestry has them transcribed as Josiah Lermer and family. As always, it is best to download the census page from ScotlandsPeople and see for yourself.

It could be worth seeing if the line from Mary Lorimer, possibly his sister, gives you any new leads. Assuming she survived beyond 1855 and stayed in Scotland (hopefully remained in Sanquhar), there should be a death certificate for her that may show parent information.

All the best,

AndrewP