Still looking for Leo.....

Looking for Scottish Ancestors

Moderator: Global Moderators

nelmit

Post by nelmit » Fri Jan 06, 2006 2:08 pm

Hello J,

It's me again. (creeping in)
Sorry no further on - I had a quick look for James Mooney's death (after 1931) while at Park Circus yesterday but no luck.

Going back to the poorhouse applications of Bridget Welsh Mooney:

My interpretation of report -

The numbers in red 8.1232 with Leo written beside it almost definitely refers to an another application made by Leo or Agnes which has not survived.

This is why on James Mooney's application the name Leo has been added later and why James's age has been changed - The Inspector on investigating past applications thinks James is lying about his age.

My thoughts are that James/Leo has left home when Bridget's application is made and she has 'borrowed' a child. It is feasable that James/Leo is away from home in 1881.

I think James's application appears to be the most honest and his statements are what I would be guided by.

Don't spend any more money for the moment - I know how tempting it is because I'm still spending more than 2 years down the line on my elusive David Mitchell.

Kind regards,
Annette M

James Tabago

Still looking for Leo

Post by James Tabago » Tue Apr 24, 2007 9:43 pm

For those who were following the story and for those who gave help thank you. Have had some luck with small bits of information.

Background to family
Leo Mooney(babt 1821) & Rose Reilly (babt 1821) had 6 children
James (babt 1843) father of Leo who married Bridget Welsh in 1861
James’s siblings Catherine, Bernard(babt 1839) John, Thomas (babt 1851) and Pat (babt 1848)
From poor house applications that I have for Bernard, Thomas and Pat, it states that at some point John, Catherine and Bernard all spent time in America, and that James & Bridget were also in America in 1901.

A poorhouse application for Bernard in May 1897. He married an Ann Kennedy in Indiana around 1876 Ann died around 1885 had one child Ann born around 1877. From the poor house application for Bernard child Ann still in Indiana in 1897, although not sure if I can trust Bernard’s information because a warrant was issued for his removal to Ireland in October 1897. So is anyone knows where I would get information on where/how warrants were issued.

Leo (James?) Mooney born around 1862 married Agnes Murray 1887 had two children James b1890 and Robert b1895. Left his wife around 1894/95 was a steamship stoker appears again in 1929 on a poorhouse application and no sign of him after May 1930. SP has made a small fortune in my hunt for Leo. He would be around 68 years of age in 1930. As I have not been able to find him anywhere in Scotland or England, thinking maybe he went back to Ireland. I now know that the family originated from Arvagh, Killishandra Co.Cavan Ireland. So the story so far still looking for Leo………….

StewL

Post by StewL » Wed Apr 25, 2007 1:40 am

Hello James

I dont have any information on your long lost's.

But it is very helpful to resurrect a post especially after so long as there are a lot more members on the site now. Good luck with your searching, like most on the site I have a ](*,) that wont come down and maybe never will :lol:
Stewie

Searching for: Anderson, Balks, Barton, Courtney, Davidson, Downie, Dunlop, Edward, Flucker, Galloway, Graham, Guthrie, Higgins, Laurie, Mathieson, McLean, McLuckie, Miln, Nielson, Payne, Phillips, Porterfield, Stewart, Watson

James Tabago

Re: Still looking for Leo.....

Post by James Tabago » Fri Sep 30, 2011 8:40 pm

Hello again, yes I'm still looking for Leo...........
No further forward, been over the information I have time and time again, so if any fresh pairs of eyes out there care to take a look please do,
I know that Leo was in Glasgow in 1930 at 188 Tobago Street, he was in receipt of some sort of pension, but I don't know which old age? seamans?
In 1930 he would have been around 67 years of age. This is calculated from the 1871 Census where he is listed as age 9
Have moved forward (sic) with some of the others in the line, but still keep coming back to Leo
so I'm still looking for Leo.......................
thank you all in advance
J

James Tabago

Post by James Tabago » Tue Jan 06, 2015 2:27 pm

Hello all an update of where I am with looking for Leo, well still looking!!
the story so far Leo Mooney (2) born abt 1865 Glasgow parents James Mooney (b abt 1839) & Bridget Welsh from 1871 Census have him aged 9
parents of James Mooney were Leo Mooney (1) (b abt 1807) & Rose Reilly (b abt 1811) I have tracked them down on the 1841 Census for Arvagh, Killishandra, Co. Cavan Ireland, along with children John (b abt 1834), Bernard (b abt 1836) & James (b abt 1839) - I know they had more children - Pat (b abt 1849), Thomas (b abt 1843) & Catherine (??) all born Drumalt, Arvagh (Arva), Killishandra, Tullyhunco, Co. Cavan. Leo & Rose Reilly married about 1832/3 they had a child Thomas (b 1833 - d 1833) according to the 1841 Census for Co. Cavan - I was very lucky with this as its one of the only surviving pieces of 1841 Census for Ireland

Leo (2) apparently went under the name 'James' according to a Poor house application by his wife Agnes Murray but I still have had no luck finding either his birth or death. (I have Leo & Agnes Murrays marriage record) From the previous postings I have made I knew that Leo (2) aka James was living at 188 Tobago Street in 1930.(from poor house application) I have checked NRS death on scotlands people for James/Leo Mooney from 1928-2005 and nothing. He could have died and a neighbour reported the death and perhaps did not know any information about his parentage.
Hope to visit Arvagh, Co. Cavan this year and maybe, just maybe I'll find something, maybe Leo (2) went back to Ireland, its a long - very long - shot, but if I do find anything I will post. Thanks again to all those who have helped me on this journey 'looking for Leo' I really appreciate it, and I will keep looking for Leo
J

James Tabago

Post by James Tabago » Tue Jan 31, 2017 8:33 pm

Hello again an update on my 'looking for Leo...' got to Arvagh, Killeshandra, Co. Cavan - and it was brilliant. With the great help of local people in Arvagh, we were directed to the last resting place of Leo (1 - married Rose Reilly) and one of his sons Thomas. Was an exceptional experience finding that and being able to take photographs. I will always be grateful to the people of Arvagh for giving their help so freely with this. I did hope for a clue to finding Leo (2) but still nothing! Again my thanks to all those who have helped me along this path, and yes I'm 'Still looking for Leo...' will keep you posted, I'm not giving up....
J