James Hackland Wilson.....

Looking for Scottish Ancestors

Moderator: Global Moderators

fmackay

James Hackland Wilson.....

Post by fmackay » Tue Feb 07, 2006 11:25 pm

Here is one of my brick walls ](*,) and would like some advice as to how to get past it.
James Hackland Wilson was born c1857 in Glasgow, parents were Robert Wilson and Jane Robertson(thesedetails were taken from his marriage certificate)Can't find his birth as there seem to be too many.
Next problem - he disappears after registering his youngest daughters birth in 1893 while living in Orkney. He married Isabella Jobson Hourston in 1885 in Stromness. Later on he is listed as deceased but can't find record.
His son Robert Spence Wilson went to Canada and fought in ww1, have found his attestation papers for canadian forces. One of his daughters,Beatrice Ellen Wilson also went to Canada with her husband and his family sometime after 1926. Her husbands name was George Fodden Kemp from Kirkwall.
I wondered if James H Wilson went to Canada and died there but have no idea.
Question is where would I start to look??
Hope I've made some sense here but somehow I don't think so!
Fiona

Tracey
Global Moderator

Post by Tracey » Wed Feb 08, 2006 12:02 am

Hello Fiona

Not much help with regard to your question but one site that may help you (for future research) if you dont already know of it for emmigration from Glasgow to ....................
is http://www.abdn.ac.uk/emigration/
It appears most records are c 1923 but you might find earlier ones.
A useful site to keep in "favourites" - ive got lucky on it !

Tracey
JJ
Scotland - Donaldson / Moggach / Shaw / Geddes / Sim / Gray / Mackie / Richards / Joel / Coull / Mckimmie / Panton / McGregor
Ireland and Scotland - Casey / McDade / Phillips / McCandle / Dinely / Comaskey + various spellings

Tracey
Global Moderator

Post by Tracey » Wed Feb 08, 2006 12:13 am

Found on
http://www.collectionscanada.ca/02/020118_e.html
Surname: Kemp
Given name: George F.
Sex: M
Nationality: En
Date of arrival: 1928/05/03 (YYYY/MM/DD)
Port of arrival: Quebec , Quebec
Ship: METAGAMA , Canadian Pacific
Reference: RG76 - IMMIGRATION, series
Volume: 1928 volume 3
Page: 13
Microfilm reel: T-14741

Found no Beatrice Kemp but one Beatrice Wilson

Worth a look....and i understood every word !
Scotland - Donaldson / Moggach / Shaw / Geddes / Sim / Gray / Mackie / Richards / Joel / Coull / Mckimmie / Panton / McGregor
Ireland and Scotland - Casey / McDade / Phillips / McCandle / Dinely / Comaskey + various spellings

fmackay

Post by fmackay » Wed Feb 08, 2006 7:30 am

Thanks very much Tracy - I will check them out. Always good to keep references for future use.
Fiona 8)

sporran

Re: James Hackland Wilson

Post by sporran » Wed Feb 08, 2006 6:59 pm

Hello Fiona,

nothing positive to report, but there are some pointers along the way.

On the 1881 census, James Wilson, 24, is living in Govan but gives his birthplace as Oxford House British Subject. Oxford House is in Manitoba, just along a river that flows into the Hudson Bay. His father Robert worked for the Hudson Bay Company (H.B.C. on James' marriage in 1885).

Mother Jane died a widow in Stromness during 1868, aged 55 but I could not find Robert's death through too many names.

George Fodden Kemp married two of his daughters: Freda (Maud Duncan) in 1918 then Beatrice (Ellen) in 1930. Both were in the Edinburgh area, as was Isabella's death in 1950, so I suspect that the family moved there after 1901. They were in Stromness for the 1901 census but James was entered as temporarily absent, which was crossed out.

Since James was recorded as deceased on Freda's wedding (although he may have been disowned after her parents divorced), it seems likely that he died between 1901 and 1918. There was no death with his middle name in any year, and James Wilson is one of the worst possible names to find.

The divorce was likely to feature in the Scotsman, so I would suggest using that to find a location for James.

Regards,

John

fmackay

Post by fmackay » Wed Feb 08, 2006 7:15 pm

Hi John
WOW!
thanks very much for the info.
I have much of the Orkney side and his daughters marriages but the 1881 census is great. How do I check out the scotsman?There are Wilson's e;sewhere in the family with connections to HBC co so I will check that out aswell.
thanks a million
Fiona :D

sporran

Re: James Hackland Wilson

Post by sporran » Wed Feb 08, 2006 7:43 pm

Hello Fiona,

the Scotsman site is at http://archives.scotsman.com . I had a quick look but did not find anything. If you order the marriage certificate from GROS for £10, you should get the RCE typed on the back, which will give a date for the divorce.

Otherwise a trip through to NRH in Edinburgh would get the information, and this Saturday offers free entry (11-3) and a trial of the system, although I think that you will need to find a friendly staff member to bring the RCE to you! The RCE is brought to your place during normal working days, but this Saturday is a different matter. Nothing to lose by trying, though.

There is a poster for the event at
http://www.gro-scotland.gov.uk/files/wd ... 3final.pdf

Regards,

John

fmackay

Post by fmackay » Thu Feb 09, 2006 9:33 pm

Hi John
Many thanks for all your help - at least I have some more info to go on as well as a few more puzzles!
Can you suggest sites for Hudson Bay Co? Do you know what sort of information is available online for employees etc of the HBC?

Thanks again
Fiona

sporran

Re: Hudson Bay Company

Post by sporran » Thu Feb 09, 2006 9:36 pm

Hello Fiona,

sorry, but I know as much about them as you. Perhaps one of our Canadian colleagues can help, or just read everything that the search engines throw up!

Regards,

John

fmackay

Post by fmackay » Thu Feb 09, 2006 9:45 pm

cheers John