Looking for Scottish Ancestors

Moderator: Global Moderators

emanday
Global Moderator

Post by emanday » Sun Feb 15, 2009 2:08 pm

You might find this of interest...

http://www.gov.mb.ca/chc/archives/hbca/ ... cal/w.html

There are a few Wilsons, but there are three pdf images for Robert Wilson

Also, it seems there was a strong connection between the Hudson Bay Company and Orkney...

http://www.orkneyjar.com/orkney/stromness/hbs.htm

Also...

http://www.genuki.org.uk/big/sct/OKI/canada.html
[b]Mary[/b]
A cat leaves pawprints on your heart
McDonald or MacDonald (some couldn't make up their mind!), Bonner, Crichton, McKillop, Campbell, Cameron, Gitrig (+other spellings), Clark, Sloan, Stewart, McCutcheon, Ireland (the surname)

fmackay

Post by fmackay » Sun Feb 15, 2009 2:54 pm

Hi
thankyou for posting links - since I first made the post I contacted the HBC in Canada who very kindly sent me info on Robert Cummins Wilson along with several other people I was interested in.

Good to be reminded of them again!

Fiona
Looking for
Mackay Morrison Manson - Sutherland
Bain Sinclair Gunn Henderson Levack Dunnet Lyall More Corner Miller-Caithness
Wylie Brown Louttit Banks Hourston Spence Drever Bews Irvine Whitelaw/Whitelay Linklater - Orkney

fmackay

Post by fmackay » Sun Mar 15, 2009 10:38 am

After a trip to Register House I have found the death of James Hackland Wilson. A sad end to my search.
Looking for
Wylie Brown Louttit Banks Hourston Spence Drever Bews Irvine Whitelaw/Whitelay Linklater - Orkney

SarahND
Site Admin

Post by SarahND » Sun Mar 15, 2009 3:46 pm

Hi Fiona,
At least you finally found it... Did he die in Orkney then? Any indication that he ever worked for the HBC, or was it just his descendants?

All the best,
Sarah

fmackay

Post by fmackay » Sun Mar 15, 2009 3:56 pm

Hi Sarah
He died in Edinburgh in 1907. Haven't found any further details about his lfe etc but will always keep a look out. I have him in every census apart from 1861 residing in Scotland. As yet I haven't found him in 1861.
Looking for

brianlkemp

Re: James Hackland Wilson.....

Post by brianlkemp » Mon Feb 13, 2017 4:27 pm

Hi:

James Hackland Wilson was my great-grandfather on my mother's side, John Kemp (1854-?) was my great-grandfather, George Fodden Kemp (1893-1988) my grandfather and John Fodden Kemp (1922-1972) my father.

James Hackland Wilson was born at Oxford House, Manitoba, Canada and died 23 August 1907 in the Craiglockhart Poorhouse, Edinburgh some time after he and his wife divorced. My ref was: "Glasgow Herald, Court of Session, Outer House before Lord Low (for Lord Kincairney). Married in 1885, six children, husband an alcoholic, wife left with mother in Stromness in 1895."

A great source of 'Kemp' info came from "Whitton and Ritch Genealogy From Scotland". Do a Google or Chrome search on ''John Fodden Kemp'. Click on the link '<back to the list' in the top right corner and explore!

I am slowly building my family tree, but still have more questions than answers. My tree is open to the public on Ancestry. It is called 'Brian Lawrence Kemp Family Tree'. Please feel free to browse the tree and send me anything you think may fit. I now know that I have probably many relatives here in Canada, but so far have not discovered any living links. If anyone knows of descendants from the 'Kemp' family line, please feel free to email me at brianlkemp@rogers.com.

Brian

fmackay

Post by fmackay » Mon Feb 13, 2017 4:51 pm

Hi Brian

We have already corresponded via email recently
Looking for

brianlkemp

Post by brianlkemp » Mon Feb 13, 2017 5:04 pm

Hi again:

I just sent a reply to your post and forgot to ask if it would be possible to see a copy of Robert Spence Wilson's attestation papers. i have found no record of him yet, but his one of my relatives.

Brian

kempons

Post by kempons » Wed Jan 08, 2020 10:46 pm

brianlkemp wrote:
Mon Feb 13, 2017 4:27 pm
Hi:

James Hackland Wilson was my great-grandfather on my mother's side, John Kemp (1854-?) was my great-grandfather, George Fodden Kemp (1893-1988) my grandfather and John Fodden Kemp (1922-1972) my father.

Brian
Hi Brian,

I realise this reply is a few years old, but I have just joined TalkingScot.

You may be interested to know I am conducting a Kemp one-name study and we already know some of your Kemp line. You can view what we know here:

https://www.kempfamilyhistory.com/getpe ... ree=adkemp

Would be very interested in comparing notes. Please contact me.

Kind regards,
Andrew

E: clan@kempfamilyhistory.com
W: https://www.kempfamilyhistory.com