Granny shoved aff bus?.....

Looking for Scottish Ancestors

Moderator: Global Moderators

Tusker

Granny shoved aff bus?.....

Post by Tusker » Fri Feb 24, 2006 9:23 am

I've spent a small fortune on SP trying to track down my very elusive granny, to the extent that I'm starting to think that somebiddy DID shove her aff the bus!

Her name was Elizabeth Kelly, 18, and she married James Adams, 20, in St Francis RC Church, in Hutchesontown, on 28 June, 1901, according to her marriage license -- which I have. Usual Residence is listed as 181 South Wellington St, Hutchesontown. Her parents were John Kelly and Catherine Boyle, and my lost granny apparently had two siblings named Ellen (Helen?) and John, so I'm told (by another family member who can't find her either!)

I've looked for her and her family in the 1881, 1891 and 1901 censuses without any luck, Was she shoved, or did she jump off the bus to skip her fare? Who knows? If anyone can help find her, they will immediately be e-mailed their choice of a gently-used "wally close", or a well-thumbed copy of my New York Bestsellers List book, "How to Convert Your Bagpipes Into a Fully-Operational Assault Rifle."......Thank you!

CatrionaL

Post by CatrionaL » Fri Feb 24, 2006 10:14 am

Hi Tusker

May I give you a warm welcome to the Talking Scot and hope that someone on the DG will be able to offer help and useful advice.

Best wishes

Catriona

nelmit

Re: Granny shoved aff bus?

Post by nelmit » Fri Feb 24, 2006 10:35 am

Tusker wrote:I've spent a small fortune on SP trying to track down my very elusive granny, to the extent that I'm starting to think that somebiddy DID shove her aff the bus!

Her name was Elizabeth Kelly, 18, and she married James Adams, 20, in St Francis RC Church, in Hutchesontown, on 28 June, 1901, according to her marriage license -- which I have. Usual Residence is listed as 181 South Wellington St, Hutchesontown. Her parents were John Kelly and Catherine Boyle, and my lost granny apparently had two siblings named Ellen (Helen?) and John, so I'm told (by another family member who can't find her either!)

I've looked for her and her family in the 1881, 1891 and 1901 censuses without any luck, Was she shoved, or did she jump off the bus to skip her fare? Who knows? If anyone can help find her, they will immediately be e-mailed their choice of a gently-used "wally close", or a well-thumbed copy of my New York Bestsellers List book, "How to Convert Your Bagpipes Into a Fully-Operational Assault Rifle."......Thank you!
Hello and welcome Tusker.

Have you tried Lizzie?
There is one of the right age but she lives in Cambuslang.

Annette M

Tusker

Granny Shoved Aff Bus?

Post by Tusker » Fri Feb 24, 2006 11:07 am

Thanks Catriona and Annette. Yes, I had a look at Lizzie in Cambuslang, (she's a dairymaid with a father named Thomas) and I checked the one in Bridgeton too! Unfortunately my granny holds numerous Olympic gold medals in hide-'n-seek, and still remains at large.......

I may have to increase my offer to include a life-size photograph of a Tunnock's Caramel Wafer......

CatrionaL

Re: Granny Shoved Aff Bus?

Post by CatrionaL » Fri Feb 24, 2006 11:15 am

Tusker wrote:I may have to increase my offer to include a life-size photograph of a Tunnock's Caramel Wafer......
Now who could resist that offer, Tusker? :D

Catriona

JimM

Post by JimM » Fri Feb 24, 2006 12:25 pm

Hi Tusker
I believe that South Wellington street was actually in the Govan parish :-k
You will have probably tried the Elizabeth Kelly aged 19 in the 1901 census :?:

Jim
researching
McIntyre, Menzies, Cowley, Pearson, Copland, McCammond, Forbes, Edgar etc. in Scotland
Skinner in Northumberland

Tusker

Granny Shoved Aff Bus?

Post by Tusker » Fri Feb 24, 2006 4:23 pm

Yes Jim. I've tried her from age 7-11 in 1891 and 17-23(?) in 1901. If I ever track her down, I'd kill her myself -- if she wasn't already deceased!

.....OK.....A life-size photo of a Tunnock's Caramel wafer *AND* a full year's FREE membership in the elite World Hudgie-Stealing Association. And I'll even make sure you don't have to do the 6-a-day wind sprints and participate in the acrobatic leap workouts.....Jeez! You guys don't work cheap, do you?

LesleyB

Post by LesleyB » Fri Feb 24, 2006 4:46 pm

Hi Tusker
Have you considered Elisabeth? I've had a few catch me out that way.
Probably easier just to go for Eli*abeth..
Best wishes
Lesley
Last edited by LesleyB on Fri Feb 24, 2006 4:56 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Tusker

Granny Shoved Aff Bus?

Post by Tusker » Fri Feb 24, 2006 4:54 pm

Hi, Lesley. Yes, I've tried El* and Li* and I think I may have tried Be*(Betty, Bessie etc) too -- I'll have to check. Still no joy :cry:

LesleyB

Post by LesleyB » Fri Feb 24, 2006 4:56 pm

Hi Tusker
Tusker wrote:Her parents were John Kelly and Catherine Boyle
There are a LOT of John Kellys in the 1881 with wives called Catherine...what did your John do for a living?
A lot of the Kellys, not surprisingly, came from Ireland. Would it be possible that your granny was born in Ireland and was not here for the 1891?