Granny shoved aff bus?.....

Looking for Scottish Ancestors

Moderator: Global Moderators

Tusker

Post by Tusker » Sat Feb 25, 2006 8:46 pm

I've PM'd nelmit and paddyscar with a lengthy chronological list of events in the Kelly\O'Reilly\Boyle? household, for comparison purposes.

So far, the only flies in the ointment are the disappearance of Ellen at age 11-12 in the Edinburgh census of 1881, and the fact that my Granny decided to change her Mammy's name on the marriage license....Everything else seems to line up....Fingers crossed....
Researching Adams & Kelly 1850+, particularly in Hutchesontown/Gorbals area of Glasgow.

nelmit

Post by nelmit » Sat Feb 25, 2006 9:52 pm

lbathgate wrote:Hi Annette
Did the poorhouse application give any mention of the name Boyle? I just wondered if Catherine had been previously married or maybe born Boyle but brought up as O'Reilly or some other reason that the name Boyle was mentioned.

Best wishes
Lesley

Hello Lesley,

No there was no mention of Boyle.

Ive PM'd Tusker with photos of applications as I don't have enough space in the gallery.

The following will hopefully fill in the spaces for him and let anyone interested see a little bit of what Elizabeth had to say.

Elizabeth Kelly or Adams applied from 181 South Wellington Street , Gibbons.
Age - 20 (Aye right) Date - 30.7.1903
Born - 10 Shamrock Street
Parents - John Kelly, traveller and Catherine Reilly
Religion - RC
Reason - Deserted
Occ. - Housewife
Disabled - Partly
Dependant children - William 13/52 born 181 S. Wellington Street

Husband - James Adams, 22 Res. Main St. B'n (Bridgeton), File cutter, RC at 6 Shawfield Toll, Rutherglen. Son of William Adams, miner and Esther Milligan with both of whom he resides.

I've also noted - Date of visit 14.3.04, 217 S. Wellington Street c/o Sharkey.

Kind regards,
Annette M

LesleyB

Post by LesleyB » Sat Feb 25, 2006 10:24 pm

Hi Annette
Thanks for posting that. I'm having a dense moment (or perhaps its the wine... :wink: )
What does the 13/52 mean? Does it refer to another file, 'cos it certainly can't be his age!!

Best wishes
Lesley

nelmit

Post by nelmit » Sat Feb 25, 2006 10:31 pm

Thanks for posting that. I'm having a dense moment (or perhaps its the wine... :wink: )
What does the 13/52 mean? Does it refer to another file, 'cos it certainly can't be his age!!

Best wishes
Lesley
Lesley,

Just enjoying a glass (or two) myself.

It is his age 13/52 = 13 weeks old.

Kind regards,
Annette M

LesleyB

Post by LesleyB » Sat Feb 25, 2006 10:34 pm

Hi Annette
Oh duh. I'd never have worked that one out!! I'm not joking either.... :oops: Whoops, it WAS his age....Thank you.

Best wishes
Lesley

nelmit

Post by nelmit » Sat Feb 25, 2006 10:48 pm

Oh duh. I'd never have worked that one out!! I'm not joking either.... :oops: Whoops, it WAS his age....Thank you.

Best wishes
Lesley
Hello Lesley,

I learned this way of recording age/gestation from my maternity records.

Annette

nelmit

Re: Granny Shoved Aff Bus?

Post by nelmit » Sun Feb 26, 2006 12:38 am

Tusker wrote:The saga continues.......

Annette M says
"STOP THE BUS!!!!

Crack the Tunnocks!!!

She is the daughter of John and Catherine Reilly.

That is 100% correct from the poorhouse apps.

I'll be back later with details (my real life nephews have just descended upon me)."

Just as it appears that the mystery of the Adams dynasty has finally been solved and all the pieces have fallen into place, we can take it from Annette M's statement that Granny may be about to throw us a new curve ball. Poor house records?......Past experience has taught me not to find this unexpected. (The curve ball -- not the Poorhouse!)

Annette M seems confident, but will the winner of the the gently-used wally close, the bestselling book detailing how to convert your bagpipes into an assault rifle, AND the life-size photograph of a Tunnock's Caramel Wafer (not to even mention the highly-prized FREE one-year membership and possibly a seat on the board of the elite International Association of Hudgie-Stealers) FINALLY be revealed???.......Stay tuned for the completion of this breath-taking and exciting drama involving a 120-year-old Granny with itchy feet, and a talent for disguise that would put Inspector Clouseau to shame!......
I'm sure I must have won, but since I'm a pacifist who only likes Jaffa Cakes and has always fretted over hudgie stealers, I expect no reward.

Annette

paddyscar
Site Admin

Post by paddyscar » Sun Feb 26, 2006 1:20 am

Tusker wrote:I've PM'd nelmit and paddyscar with a lengthy chronological list of events in the Kelly\O'Reilly\Boyle? household, for comparison purposes.

So far, the only flies in the ointment are the disappearance of Ellen at age 11-12 in the Edinburgh census of 1881, and the fact that my Granny decided to change her Mammy's name on the marriage license....Everything else seems to line up....Fingers crossed....
I've not had any PMs since - 11:30 and 11:33 a.m. Sat. Feb 25. Seems to have gone 'the lang way roun' fer a shortcut' :D

Frances
John Kelly (b 22 Sep 1897) eldest child of John Kelly & Christina Lipsett Kelly of Glasgow

Tusker

Granny Shoved Aff Bus?

Post by Tusker » Sun Feb 26, 2006 2:17 am

Frances -- I've just this minute sent them to you. My apologies. In all the excitement, I sent the info off to Lesley -- then I guess I forgot to send a copy to you :oops: :oops: :oops:

....And here's me wondering why it was taking you so long to get back to us..... :? :? :?
Researching Adams & Kelly 1850+, particularly in Hutchesontown/Gorbals area of Glasgow.

grannysrock

Post by grannysrock » Sun Feb 26, 2006 8:41 am

good morning everyone

Weel done Annette for providing the conclusive proof that the mother of Elizabeth Kelly / Adams is Catherine Reilly . I hope your PM box is overflowing with virtual jaffa cakes this morning .

Is it now "declared in the presence of witnesses" that Frances and Tusker are genealogically joined ?

I'm off to find an ice-cream van .

Sally
Newhaven-DRYBURGH,NICOLL,HUNTER(+Alloa) ; Lesmahagow-MITCHELL,LAMB, BARR, BROWN,CALLAN; Comrie-MCDOUGALL, MCEWEN, MCLAREN, BRYSON; BEW - PRINGLE, FISHER,SPENCE;Edzell-MIDDLETON,DORWARD;
Edin.-JOHNSTON, MONTGOMERY;Fife-SIME, FORRESTER, WANLESS