Alexander and Betsy Geekie.....

Looking for Scottish Ancestors

Moderator: Global Moderators

Malcolm

Alexander and Betsy Geekie.....

Post by Malcolm » Sat Mar 04, 2006 11:36 pm

Hello all
I have uploaded a death entry for John Geekie.

http://talkingscot.com/gallery/displayi ... p?pos=-428

I would like your opinions please on the maiden name of John's mother, Betsy.
There is another item that I don't understand. Under, when and where died. column two, there is some writing after June eighth. Your thoughts on this would also oblige together with the relevance of the number 179.
The first entry is also of interest. Young James died after what looks like five hours of premature birth. That description seems very odd to me.
Thankyou in Anticipation for any assistance
Malcolm Morris

image url added by JustJean

Tracey
Global Moderator

Post by Tracey » Sun Mar 05, 2006 12:20 am

Hi Malcolm

Cant see your upload yet but
The first entry is also of interest. Young James died after what looks like five hours of premature birth. That description seems very odd to me.
Seems quite normal ( i remember asking someone - i should be more careful with notes !) ........I have one death 1856 - age 2 days - cause of death Premature birth in 7th month. I assume that all live births were recorded even if premature.
Scotland - Donaldson / Moggach / Shaw / Geddes / Sim / Gray / Mackie / Richards / Joel / Coull / Mckimmie / Panton / McGregor
Ireland and Scotland - Casey / McDade / Phillips / McCandle / Dinely / Comaskey + various spellings

JustJean

Post by JustJean » Sun Mar 05, 2006 1:07 am

Hi Malcolm

I'm seeing Betsy WHITTEL......but that is only a guess! (And I'm not finding any evidence to prove it one way or the other.... :? )

Oh...and the time of death is indicated after the date in column 2. 11 h 0 m PM. The 179 is the street address on Blackness? Road in Dundee.

Best I can offer

Jean

Jack

Post by Jack » Sun Mar 05, 2006 1:17 am

Hi Malcolm,
Very similar to Jean - WHUTTEL ?
[forgot to add - but meant to mean WHITTEL or WHITTLE?]

Below 1879
June
Eighth
11h. 0m. P.M.
Blackness Road
Dundee

Jack
Last edited by Jack on Sun Mar 05, 2006 1:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

StewL

Post by StewL » Sun Mar 05, 2006 1:21 am

Hello Malcom

The writing after June is the time of death 11am

179 Blackness Road Dundee

Sorry I cant make out her M.S. at this stage, maybe someone else can read it better. But it could be Whittel as there appears to be a dot before the two t's.

Oh Jack just beat me :lol:
Stewie

Searching for: Anderson, Balks, Barton, Courtney, Davidson, Downie, Dunlop, Edward, Flucker, Galloway, Graham, Guthrie, Higgins, Laurie, Mathieson, McLean, McLuckie, Miln, Nielson, Payne, Phillips, Porterfield, Stewart, Watson

LesleyB

Post by LesleyB » Sun Mar 05, 2006 12:05 pm

Hi Malcolm
Whittet is a surname in the Dundee area - not sure thats what it says but might be....?
there is some writing after June eighth
  • 11hrs 0m(minutes) PM
    179 Blackness Road, Dundee
- used to live near Blackness Road- if you'd like me to have a recce and see what is there and take a photo, I'm only too happy to oblige. Its mostly tenements in that section of Blackness Road - I think most are still there, only a few parts have been "modernised" .

With regard to young Michael in the entry above, my interpretation would be that he was a premature birth and survived for only 5 hrs.

Best wishes
Lesley
Researching:
Midlothian & Fife - Goalen, Lawrie, Ewart, Nimmo, Jamieson, Dick, Ballingall.
Dunbartonshire- Mcnicol, Davy, Guy, McCunn, McKenzie.
Ayrshire- Lyon, Parker, Mitchell, Fraser.
Easter Ross- McCulloch, Smith, Ross, Duff, Rose.

Malcolm

Post by Malcolm » Sun Mar 05, 2006 4:53 pm

Many thanks to you all for taking the trouble to help. Your readings of the time and address make me feel like a dimwit. Sometimes I see everything but the bleedin’ blindingly obvious.
So, the name looks like Whittel,Whittle or Whittet. I have tried looking for Alexander Geekie and his wife using all the variants you gave me and still come up with nothing. I know that means nothing in itself because, when I enter their son John and his wife, Janet Chalmers, I get the same result. Nothing. Those Geekie’s were a rum lot.
I went up to Dundee early last year Lesley, and plan to go again before not too long. I took quite a lot of photographs of buildings and streets at the time so I needn’t trouble you. Thank you all the same for your generous offer. It’s an interesting place and doesn’t seem to have changed much since Victorian times relative to other towns. I used a 1901 Ordnance Survey map to find my way about and found it very easy.
Many thanks to all once again.
Malcolm
Morris (formerly Morrice) of Fife and Geekie of Scone

Russell

Post by Russell » Sun Mar 05, 2006 9:56 pm

Hi Malcolm

I noticed you were consistent in your spelling of Geekie. Back then they certainly weren't. It may well be under Geachie since McGeachie was not an uncommon name.

You've probably tried it already but Geek*
Ge*ch* might be worth a try.

Russell
Working on: Oman, Brock, Miller/Millar, in Caithness.
Roan/Rowan, Hastings, Sharp, Lapraik in Ayr & Kirkcudbrightshire.
Johnston, Reside, Lyle all over the place !
McGilvray(spelt 26 different ways)
Watson, Morton, Anderson, Tawse, in Kilrenny

Malcolm

Post by Malcolm » Sun Mar 05, 2006 11:00 pm

Thanks Russel
I hadn't thought of that. I will try your suggestion and, now that you have suggested it, one or two other variations for Geekie.
Morris (formerly Morrice) of Fife and Geekie of Scone

crwhitton

Geekies and Whittet

Post by crwhitton » Sun Mar 12, 2006 11:32 am

I have been researching all Scottish families with people called Whitton and Whitten etc in them. As a consequence of this I came across the Geekie and Whittet connection which I have examined just in case. I have concluded that it is indeed Whittet not Whitton and need not be included in my records. However in the process I have collected some information about this family and have posted it here in case it adds something for those interested.
Robert Whitton, Edinburgh

John Geekie a Plasterer, Master died in St Marys Dundee on 8th June 1879 at 179 Blackness Road his 2 wives are given as 1 Janet Chalmers and 2 Jane Gowans.
His father was Alexander Geekie and his mother was Betsy Whittet.
At the 1841 census he was at St Andrew Street, Dundee ( 282-09-16) aged 35 a Plasterer along with his wife Janet aged 35 and children Christina aged 10, John aged 8, Elizabeth aged 5 and Helen aged 1. John and 2 children Christina and Johh were recorded as having been born "outise the County" ie not in Angus. To me this confirms why Christinas birth is not in the OPR's as perhaps the records for where she and John the son were born were not saved for posterity)

He was married to Janet Chalmers on 19th Feb 1827 at Auchterhouse. and I have found 4 children
Christina who married Thomas Morris on 2nd September 1852 at Dundee they has at least 2 sons John Geekie Morris born 15th October 1857 at Dundee and James Morris born 10th February 1864 at Dundee. Christina reported her fathers death in 1879 and gave her address as 30 Balfour Street, Dundee . In the 1881 census at 30 Balfour Street was Christina Morris aged 57 born Scone, Perth and her son George A Morris aged 23 a Shop Porter. along with 2 male Lodgers. Christina is the head of the family but marked as married. I did not look for her husband.
Other children of John Geekie and Janet Chalmers were
Janet Geekie born 29th June 1842 and christened 19th July in Dundee
Elizabeth born 8th February and christened 19th February in Dundee
Helen Henderson born 15th December 1839 and christened 15 January 1840 in Dundee, She married John Skinner in Dundee on 15th July 1862 and died in 1901 aged 59 at St Clement, Dundee, where she was recorded as Ellen Henderson Geekie / Skinner they had at least 2 children Catherine Ingis Skinner born 12th August 1864 at Dundee
and Ellen Jane Skinner born 11th May 1896 at Dundee.

Clearly Janet Chalmers died as on 27th November 1876 at Castle Terrace, Broughty Ferry John Geekie a Plasterer aged 73 widow of Janet Chalmers whose parents were Alexander Geekie a Platerer (Deceased) and Betsy Whittet (deceased) married Jane Steven Gowans aged 56 whose father was Robert Gowans a Farmer and whose mother was Janet Mitchell.
at the 1881 census appears at 1 Argyle Terrace, Dundee a Jane Geekie aged 64 a Widow Annuitant born Cairmylie, Forfar who may be the corrrect person.