James Wemyss & Elizabeth Crombie (1829 West Wemyss).....

Looking for Scottish Ancestors

Moderator: Global Moderators

Melmax

James Wemyss (West Wemyss)

Post by Melmax » Thu Jun 01, 2006 11:56 pm

Hi Lesley, I guess I will have to resort to LDS microfilm.

There seems to be plenty about James Wemyss's Wifes Family:

I can find Elisabeth Crombie's parents (Alexander Crombie married to Margaret Murray and six children, Margaret b 1791, Thomas b 1793, George b 1795, James b 1798, Elisabeth b 1800, Grizel b 1805.

Margaret Murray married a John Scott (confirmed by her death cert), so I think she is living next door to her sister Elizabeth in the 1841 Census.

Later on a 'James Baxter' witnessed the Death of James Wemyss and Elisabeth Crombie's son James Wemyss b 1842. James Baxter was the husband of Margaret Crombie (her father was George Crombie b 1795).

More:
JAMES WEMYSS Parents:James Wemyss, Charlotte Caroline Wemyss.
Gender: Male Christening: 15 DEC 1807 Wemyss, Fife, Scotland.
(This man died in 1865 and was a Major, his father James Wemyss was born in 1778.)
So he could not be the man that married Elisabeth Crombie.

Which leaves the mysterious:
JAMES WEMYSS Parents: William Wemyss, Jean Blythe.
Gender: Male Christening: 27 NOV 1793 Wemyss, Fife, Scotland

I guess I just have to keep digging!
:)
Melissa
Last edited by Melmax on Mon Feb 05, 2007 12:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

LesleyB

Post by LesleyB » Fri Jun 02, 2006 12:23 am

Hi Melissa
OK - seems like a good idea to concentrate on the James born on 27 Nov 1793 Wemyss and see what else you can find out about him and his family - parnets, siblings. If, for instance, his father was also a sailor...that would be interesting...

Even if you find out it is not that one, at least you will then have eliminated him as a possible candidate. His father on the IGI seems to be a William though, not a James, and I'm not seeing any siblings so far.

JAMES WEMYSS
Event(s):
Birth: 07 AUG 1793
Christening: 27 NOV 1793 Wemyss, Fife, Scotland
Parents:
Father: WILLIAM WEMYSS
Mother: JEAN BLYTH
C114596 1779 - 1820

Best wishes
Lesley

Melmax

Post by Melmax » Sat Jun 03, 2006 1:09 am

Hi Lesley, I have been in scotlandspeople again, this time I searched for a marriage between William Wemyss and Jean between 1700 and 1800, in all parishes but found no Jean Blyth.

There is a Jean Blyth in Wemyss parish, her father was a James Blyth.

Could that mean this couple were never married?

JAMES WEMYSS
Event(s):
Birth: 07 AUG 1793
Christening: 27 NOV 1793 Wemyss, Fife, Scotland
Parents:
Father: WILLIAM WEMYSS
Mother: JEAN BLYTH
C114596 1779 - 1820

Melissa

LesleyB

Post by LesleyB » Sat Jun 03, 2006 9:27 am

Hi Melissa
The clues may lie in the OPR, with the James christened 27 November 1793, Wemyss.

Very often, if the parents were married, the format goes something along the lines of:
"Was born James, lawful son to....." .
If they were not married it will usually be mentioned that the child was illegimate, one way or another...
e.g. Was born Henry son to Henry ______ who was begot in fornication with _______ in Kettle & baptised the 5th of March.

Best wishes
Lesley

Melmax

James Wemyss

Post by Melmax » Mon Feb 05, 2007 12:02 am

Hi Lesley, I've been able to access the OPR at scotlands people

James Wemyss Natural son of William Wemyss and Jean Blyth b 1793.

Does "Natural" son mean the parents were unmarried? Most of the others on this page were lawful sons.

I'm begining to think that this is my man and that it is possible that William Wemyss was married to Frances Erskine.

James Wemyss marriage OPR to Elisabeth Crambie in 1829 has provided no clues other than to confirm he was a sailor.

To be a sailor would he have had to be registered somewhere?

](*,)

All the men on my hit list used the names James for their children, probably they are all decended from a James Wemyss.

I just need evidence of age for my James Wemyss or a financial sponser, to pinpoint the right parents. If they had recorded his age at death perhaps I would crack the case!

LesleyB

Post by LesleyB » Mon Feb 05, 2007 12:39 am

Hi Melissa
Great that you have been able to access the OPRs!
Does "Natural" son mean the parents were unmarried?
Probably!! :roll:
To be a sailor would he have had to be registered somewhere?
I don't thnk so, not at that time, but I may be wrong. You said earlier:
He was a Seaman in the Merchant service
and I know there are Merchant Navy records - try here for into:
http://www.nmm.ac.uk/server/show/conWebDoc.560

However, due to James probably being illegitimate, there may be some more info in the kirk session records if they have survived for that parish - these at present are only able to be viewed at NAS, either in original form, of most of them are now digitised and can be viewed on the PCs there. Generally if a couple had a child and they were not married they were called up before the kirk session to answer for their behaviour!

Best wishes
Lesley

Melmax

Natural

Post by Melmax » Mon Feb 05, 2007 12:58 am

Thankyou Lesley, I just found a bit on Scotlands people that said "Natural -Illegitimate, born out of wedlock"

So I guess I will have to wait until I can get access to kirk sessions.

(Family legend - states that James Wemyss was ilegitimate, so I'm thinking I'm on the right track with William Wemyss.)

I've also dug up a Margaret Wemyss that was born to William Wemyss and Christian Beveridge in 1816 and it looks like she was illegitimate too!
(the cert say something like "as pressder" rather than lawful)

I'm trying to find siblings as you suggest.

Good grief! I guess I'll have to visit Scotland one day to crack the code.
Melissa

LesleyB

Post by LesleyB » Mon Feb 05, 2007 1:05 am

Hi Melissa
So I guess I will have to wait until I can get access to kirk sessions.
The eventual plan is to have those online too, I believe, but that will be a while away yet!!

Best wishes
Lesley

michael brett

Re: James Wemyss & Elizabeth Crombie (1829 West Wemyss).....

Post by michael brett » Mon Aug 01, 2011 7:45 am

Hello
I am researching the Wemyss family, and yes James Wemyss was the illegitimate son of William wemyss and Jean Blythe. I have records regarding the dispute where William denied the being the father. James was a merchant seaman born 07n Aug 1793 at West Wemyss- he died on 25 November 1841. he married Elizabeth Crambie 10 Feb 1829 at West Wemyss. William Wemyss married Christian Beveridge 11 Nov 1993 at West Wemyss and they had five children John born 1799 Isobel born 1801, Rebekah born 1803, Alexander born 1811 and margaret 1816.
i would love to hear of any facts you may have regarding the family.
kindest Regards
Mike

michael brett

Re: James Wemyss & Elizabeth Crombie (1829 West Wemyss).....

Post by michael brett » Mon Aug 01, 2011 7:39 pm

Hello
I am researching the Wemyss family, and yes James Wemyss born 7 aUG 1793 was born to William Wemyss and Jean Blythe. They never married and for some time there was a dispute as to who the father was. I have some details regarding the legal procedings. James died 25 November 1841. He married Elizabeth Crambie(Crombie) 10 Feb 1829 at West Wemyss. William Wemyss married Christian Beveridge 11 Nov 1773 at West Wemyss.,and they had five children John born 1799, isobel born 1801,rebekah born 1803, Alexander born 1811 and margaret born 1816. My grandfather was Robert McIntosh Wemyss born West Wemyss 1868. Are we related? If | can help further please advise. Unfortunately I have only just discovered Talkingscot.com
Kindest regards