Muiravonside and Linlithgow people - Whytes and Boyds etc...

Looking for Scottish Ancestors

Moderator: Global Moderators

jennyblain

Muiravonside and Linlithgow people - Whytes and Boyds etc...

Post by jennyblain » Fri Aug 18, 2006 10:05 pm

This is a development from another thread about Muiravonside. It's mostly for Lainey, who kindly looked up some Muiravonside MIs for me. Because it was getting complicated, I said I'm post some details in a separate thread (and it got long). It's mostly about 18th c. people with a few earlier or later, and I'm looking for details from MIs or Burgess records that can help flesh out the OPR info.

My g-g-grandmother was Margaret Whyte, born 1823 in Muiravonside. She married shoemaker William Fisher and they left there, living in various other places (Dalkeith, Paisley, Milngavie, finally moving to Ramsbottom in Lancashire. William had changed trade to become a calico printer and they were following the trade. Margaret's parents were James Whyte and Marion Boyd, and its they and their relatives about whom I'm tying to find any information. They were in Muiravonside (Linlithgow Bridge), Linlithgow, Bo'ness, and Slamannan, it seems. This is a summary of what I've found. I have MIs for W. Lothian but not for Stirlingshire, and will be grateful for any light anybody can cast. I hope that what I've found may help others also!

1. The Whytes and their relatives: mostly Linlithgow and Bo'ness.
James Whyte or White b. 1801, died before 1841. His brother Andrew erected a stone in St Michael's kirkyard. to his (Andrew's) son John and dau-in-law Catherine Crichton.
Marion Boyd wife of James Whyte was aged 40+ in 1841, in Muiravonside in the 1841 census as Ag. Labourer. (Their children, aside from Margaret, were James, Mary, Euphemia and George.)

James Whyte's parents were John Whyte, b 1773, Linlithgow, and Mary Scot, b around 1775. The only children for whom I have information were James b 1801 and Andrew b. 1818.

John Whyte's parents were Alexander Whyte and Janet Cock (b 1739, Linlithgow), and they had several other children, Janet, Robert, Elisabeth (2), Marion and Kathrine. Alexander's parents were John Whit and Jonet Bryce, and they married in 1723 in Linlithgow. I don't have further info on Janet Bryce.

Janet Cock was b. in Linlithgow in 1739, and her parents were Robert Cock b. 1704 in Bo'ness, and Margaret Robb, who married in 1738. Their other children were Thomas, Robert, James and John.

Robert Cock's parents were John Cock and Margaret Maxwell, married in 1697 in Bo'ness, with other children Catherine, James, John and William. The children were born in Bo'ness but I don't have the birthplaces or other info on the parents.

Margaret Robb, b. 1707, is dau of Thomas Robb and Janet Devie, married 1706, Linlithgow, who had another child Alexander Robb. Janet Devie had previously been married (1702) to William Nicoll, who was a merchant and burgess of Linlithgow. Her father was Alexander Devie. Thomas Robb is described as Merchant in Bridgemuir in the parish of Carriden. (I'm guessing on 'Bridgemuir' though as the record was hard to read.)

2. The Boyds and their relatives: mostly in Muiravonside.

Marion Boyd, b. 1796, Muiravonside and siblings George, Margaret, Andrew, John, Janet, Mary and Agnes. These were children of George Boyd and Margaret Young, for whom I haven't found a marriage record. The children were all registered as born in Muiravonside, from 1796 to 1816.
This Margaret Young was b. in 1771 in Muiravonside, child of Andrew Young of Muiravonside and Marion Scott of Torphichen who married in 1769, and she had three sisters, Marion, Janet and Jean.

Andrew Young b. 1746, Muiravonside, seems to have been child of John Young and Mary Paul. (Marion Scott may have been the child of David Scot and Margaret Grey (b. 1746) but I'm not sure about this at all and have to check Torphichen records.)

George Boyd, father of Marion Boyd, was born in 1773 in Muiravonside. His parents were another George Boyd and another Margaret Young. (Confusing, this gets.) He had a sister Jean b. 1780. The parents' marriage was in Slamannan in 1776, registered in both parishes. George was of Muiravonside and Margaret of Slamannan. Margaret Young may however be the child of Alexander Young and Agnes Richie, and born in Muiravonside (1744), though again I'm not at all sure about this one. I haven't found a birth for this eldest George Boyd.

Hope some of this may ring bells somewhere!

Jenny
http://wyrdswell.co.uk/ancestors

LesleyB

Post by LesleyB » Fri Aug 18, 2006 10:25 pm

Hi Jenny
Not bells exactly, but a few little tinkles!

I have a Marion White/Whyte possibly born in Carriden, Linlithgow (she has also stated Grange Pans on one occasion, and also Dunfermline, but I don't believe that one for a minute - the Linlithgow, Carriden mentions are more numerous!) possibly born December 1810, She was the daughter of John White, a salt manufacturer & Marion Alexander. I don't have much information on them as this is not a branch of the family I have reasearched much at all. Marion White/Whyte married in 1831 in Dunfermline Parish to Robert Dick:
  • Parish of Dunfermline, County of Fife
    19th November 1831
    Robert Dick, Clerk at Charlestown and Marion White residing there gave in their names for proclamation in order to marriage and being three times proclaimed and no objections made they were married.
She died 1891 in Edinburgh - most of that branch of the Dick family had moved to Edinburgh by that time, all living in the Stockbridge area.

Possibly a tentative connection with your Linlithgow Whytes?

Best wishes
Lesley
Researching:
Midlothian & Fife - Goalen, Lawrie, Ewart, Nimmo, Jamieson, Dick, Ballingall.
Dunbartonshire- Mcnicol, Davy, Guy, McCunn, McKenzie.
Ayrshire- Lyon, Parker, Mitchell, Fraser.
Easter Ross- McCulloch, Smith, Ross, Duff, Rose.

laineywoo

muiravonside

Post by laineywoo » Fri Aug 18, 2006 11:20 pm

Hi Jenny
I will keep an eye out when I'm looking around the area and in the OPRs etc. You are obviously much further back than any other records will go! If I come across any more MI books for these areas I will grab them, but sorry...dont hold your breath!
Lainey
searching for Jacks, Williamsons, Maxwells, Wardlaws, Hardies, Bennies, Kays, Bruce, Sneddon, Dougall and Galloway all mainly Polmont and Muiravonside areas - basically all families from Polmont!!

jennyblain

Post by jennyblain » Fri Aug 18, 2006 11:30 pm

You're fortunate to be able to get there - I was up for a day, just, at the start of June. Had planned to get back this past week but it didn't happen :( .
I was talking a little to some of the people at the Bridge Inn in Linlithgow, and a couple of others at St Michael's on the Sunday morning.

Jenny

laineywoo

muiravonside

Post by laineywoo » Fri Aug 18, 2006 11:41 pm

Jenny
Have you tried the West Lothian Family History society? It does seem a very well attended gathering..........someone might just know something!
Its different when your folks are in the area you live.......I have your problem with most of my fathers side all from Durham and Newcastle areas.....its just hard to get time to get away long enough to look properly
Lainey
searching for Jacks, Williamsons, Maxwells, Wardlaws, Hardies, Bennies, Kays, Bruce, Sneddon, Dougall and Galloway all mainly Polmont and Muiravonside areas - basically all families from Polmont!!

jennyblain

Post by jennyblain » Sat Aug 19, 2006 12:11 am

Hi Lesley,
LesleyB wrote: I have a Marion White/Whyte possibly born in Carriden, Linlithgow .

Possibly a tentative connection with your Linlithgow Whytes?
Quite possibly - not a direct connection, but a family relationship of some kind, if her people were from Linlithgow. Hard to say esp. with Whytes - in some areas of Scotland White was a tinkler name, and/or associated with either tin-smithing (white smith) or indeed blacksmithing. Andrew Whyte, the brother of my James, was a blacksmith, I'm told!

Jenny

BLCathey

Re: Muiravonside and Linlithgow people - Whytes and Boyds et

Post by BLCathey » Wed Nov 18, 2015 5:30 pm

I am a US descendant of Hugh White who was transported as a prisoner of the 1715 Jacobite Rebellion. His listing on the prison list is:
Prison list: GS (Transported on the Goodspeed); name on prison list: White, Hector, name on ship list: White, Hou, name upon arrival: White, Hugh; town: Corrin, county: Linhthroe (or Linlithgow) ocupation: servant prisoner's No. and prison: 121 Chester
Could the town name Corrin actually be Corriden? It's as close as any other town on the old maps. Researchers here in the US have Hugh and his brother Moses as sons of Adam White, Presbyterian minister in Ireland who often returned to scotland where he was born and educated. in 1699 he deeded land in Murthengil, Lesmahagow, Lanarkshire to a son George.
I am trying to sort this all out. Can anyone help?
Barbara Cathey

jennyblain

Post by jennyblain » Wed Nov 18, 2015 7:23 pm

Hi Barbara. The ship list is imaged at http://immigrantships.net/jacobite/grap ... source.jpg - you probably already have this.

However, it seems to me that there may be some conflation of various 'H White' names happening here - I wouldn't think that the Hugh White son of the Presbyterian minister is the same as Hector White, a Jacobite prisoner, unless there's some other evidence. I take it that the 'name on arrival' is definitely linked to the arrival of the ship Goodspeed?

Carriden is indeed a possible source for 'Corrin', in Linlithgowshire (West Lothian). This is also from the arrival list?

Best,
Jenny

cockshistory

Re: Muiravonside and Linlithgow people - Whytes and Boyds etc...

Post by cockshistory » Sun May 21, 2017 11:13 pm

Hello I am an Australian related to William Cock 1719 who married Margret Dick, Margret Dick's father was James Dick, they had a son named Robert Cock born in 1754 who married Joanna Smith. Then followed Robert Cock 1776 who was born in Scotland and emigrated to Australia after his son (Robert 1801) emigrated. My great great great grandfather Robert Cock, born in 25/5/1801 who married Betty Wishart in Fife Scotland. Betty was born 17/2/1805 in Scotland. They emigrated in 1836 to colonize Adelaide and the South Australian colonies. They were with the first group of emigrants to Australia arriving on the HMS Buffalo.

My great great great grandfather was a noted explorer and has been written into Australian history books. Feeling very proud to find out I have descended from strong Scottish bloodlines as for the many years I could not argue with my husbands English relatives and have often been called a convict with no history. It is amazing the history books I read at school contains my GGG Granddads name and I had no idea I have since uncovered many interesting articles and discoveries he made in the Australian Colonies back in the 1800's about Robert Cock as an explorer, auctioneer, farmer, businessman and humanitarian to the Australian Aboriginal people. I shall try and add the family tree and other notable things about Robert Cock.

Regards Colleen Fox
Toogoom, Queensland. Australia

MacGrandma

Post by MacGrandma » Wed Feb 21, 2018 3:25 am

BLCathey wrote:
Wed Nov 18, 2015 5:30 pm
I am a US descendant of Hugh White who was transported as a prisoner of the 1715 Jacobite Rebellion. His listing on the prison list is:
Prison list: GS (Transported on the Goodspeed); name on prison list: White, Hector, name on ship list: White, Hou, name upon arrival: White, Hugh; town: Corrin, county: Linhthroe (or Linlithgow) ocupation: servant prisoner's No. and prison: 121 Chester
Could the town name Corrin actually be Corriden? It's as close as any other town on the old maps. Researchers here in the US have Hugh and his brother Moses as sons of Adam White, Presbyterian minister in Ireland who often returned to scotland where he was born and educated. in 1699 he deeded land in Murthengil, Lesmahagow, Lanarkshire to a son George.
I am trying to sort this all out. Can anyone help?
Barbara Cathey
Hi I am DNA match 66 of 67 markers to those born of Hugh White in the US! We are the ones who found the link on George! We dug and dug as our family was all in Scotland and came to the US in 1920. Here is what we have Our family was in Northumberland for many years.. trying to link to Scots from that part of Scotland was a job.. George was our best bet because he recieved the land grant from his father in Lesmahagow and possibly stayed in Scotland.. I found a story looking for George Whyte/White in that area! Convenors that were captured in/near Kilmarnock Scotland. The Georges said they were from Galston Scotland a town near by but they never found their house where they said they lived...(Galston is on the road from Kilmarnock to Lesmahagow) The Georges were not being Frank with Capt Douglas he knew it and sent them both to Barbados! (One is George Whyte and the other Wee George Whyte.. possibly Hugh's son George? So Rev. Adam's son George and Hugh's son George? Could be our Georges?) The two Georges paid money and sent a message to the Queen, they then ESCAPED prison in Barbados My thought was they could not go back to Lesmahagow home land for fear of being recaptured. Capt Douglas was the one usually killing Convenors so it was not a safe place since they were known.. There were many Presbyterian/Protestants in Northumberland County England.. That is where our Scots ended up with the Same DNA as the decendants of Hugh White son of Rev Adam White. We found a George White b. 12 Apr 1711 in Tweedmouth Northumberland England a possible family member also found is a George White in that area of Northumberland. George White died Apr.May Jun Berwick, Northumberland England..

Our family is as follows James White b. abt 1724, unknown d. 1787 Berwick upon Tweed. his son Robert White b. 23 Dec. 1744 Norham, Northumberland his son Robert White b 1765 Norham Northumberland, England. His son Stephen b.18 Nov 1791 Northumberland England d. 8 Aug 1872 Edinburgh Scotland his son Robert White b. 24 May 1824 Berwick upon Tweed NU England d, 19 Apr 1896 Edinburgh Scotland his son Robert 13 Dec 1857 Edinburgh d. West Calder (Linlithgowshire) ---- Circle around.. His son Stephen White b. 1900 Armadale W. Lothian Scotland d. 3 Oct 1971 in Huntington Beach, California.. He immigrated in 1920 via Ellis Island with his little brother Robert White and his brother inlaw Peter Murray. Link to the story on the 2 George Whites possible sons of Adam and Hugh White? in near Kilmarnock Scotland The road to Lesmahagow.. Rev. Adam's Property and his story shows he was in Scotland during The Killing Times for this story. Georges are #'s 33 and 34 in this story of captured Convenors!

https://drmarkjardine.wordpress.com/201 ... n-in-1687/