How do I find a birth record pre 1855?

Looking for Scottish Ancestors

Moderator: Global Moderators

DavidWW

Post by DavidWW » Wed Apr 25, 2007 1:10 pm

Brenda wrote:Hi David

I really needed some reassurance as I am just about ready to give up, so thank you

Brenda
My absolute pleasure, and, the same, on the wider basis on behalf of all of the members of TalkingScot :!: :wink:

Orraverybest

David

emanday
Global Moderator

Post by emanday » Wed Apr 25, 2007 1:24 pm

DavidWW wrote:
Brenda wrote:Hi David

I really needed some reassurance as I am just about ready to give up, so thank you

Brenda
My absolute pleasure, and, the same, on the wider basis on behalf of all of the members of TalkingScot :!: :wink:

Orraverybest

David
I absolutely positively second that!

Until I joined TS I was getting in a right muddle. Everyone helps everyone else on here and, as David said, it'll likely not be too long before you are helping someone too!
[b]Mary[/b]
A cat leaves pawprints on your heart
McDonald or MacDonald (some couldn't make up their mind!), Bonner, Crichton, McKillop, Campbell, Cameron, Gitrig (+other spellings), Clark, Sloan, Stewart, McCutcheon, Ireland (the surname)

SarahND
Site Admin

Post by SarahND » Wed Apr 25, 2007 3:31 pm

emanday wrote:as David said, it'll likely not be too long before you are helping someone too!
I'd like to point out that Brenda gave me some help as soon as she joined TS and before even asking any questions of her own! Picking her way through giant ant hills while looking out for the snakes that were reported to be in the area, she took some brilliant photographs of a tombstone for me. Hooray for Brenda! =D> =D> The nice thing about TS is that we all work together, everyone contributing what they are able to do at the moment. [talkingscot]
Sarah

Brenda

Post by Brenda » Sat Apr 28, 2007 2:00 am

Oh dear,

Here was I , feeling so very :cry: and sorry for myself because of my ineptness at genealogy then all you kind peole made me feel so much better

THANK YOU
Brenda
Searching for McLean / McCracken / Walker Loag / Murray / Martin / Kennedy / Bain / McCreadie / McKeon / Bannon / Fergie

SarahND
Site Admin

Post by SarahND » Sat Apr 28, 2007 2:44 am

We've all been there, Brenda. It really is just a matter of practice. You have to get familiar with the way different indexes work and what are the likely variations on a name or place, etc. Soon, as others have said, you will be pitching in to help the newbies yourself :D I only joined Talking Scot a year ago yesterday!
All the best in your searches!
Sarah

speleobat2

Parish register dates

Post by speleobat2 » Sat Apr 28, 2007 11:13 pm

When you're working with the Parish registers to find pre-1855 births remember that the date given is for the baptism and not the actual birth. I found one relative on the Scotland North CD who was born two years before the date I had from the parish register because she wasn't baptized until her younger sister was born. Small problem, but it made a mess of the lovely diagram I had drawn!

Carol
Looking for: Clerihew, Longmuir/Longmore, Chalmers, Milne, Barclay in Newhills,
Munro, Cadenhead, Raitt, Ririe/Reary