SarahND
Site Admin

Re: Scotlands People

Post by SarahND » Thu Sep 29, 2016 7:04 am

They also say that the kirk session records will be coming soon \:D/

Ann In the UK

Post by Ann In the UK » Thu Sep 29, 2016 4:45 pm

I quite like it. But there are a few issues - searching for someone I know is there (as a test after similar searches failed for others) comes back with zero matches. That can't be right. Hoping they iron them out in the coming weeks as it looks quite good otherwise - although I'm disappointed they haven't added a subscription feature. Hope they sort that soon too.

Ann

thomsos

Post by thomsos » Thu Sep 29, 2016 4:59 pm

Ann In the UK wrote:I quite like it. But there are a few issues - searching for someone I know is there (as a test after similar searches failed for others) comes back with zero matches. That can't be right. Hoping they iron them out in the coming weeks as it looks quite good otherwise - although I'm disappointed they haven't added a subscription feature. Hope they sort that soon too.

Ann
I was hoping for a subscription feature too :(
Researching- Clark from Polmont, Wason from Dailly, Anderson & Williamson from Bridgeton, also Thomson, Sharp, Bryce, Gillen & Fairley

Ann In the UK

Post by Ann In the UK » Thu Sep 29, 2016 5:15 pm

I know. Was quite surprised to find there wasn't one - feels like that's what most of us have been mostly asking for for the last few years. Clearly their market research has failed them!

rossm

Post by rossm » Thu Sep 29, 2016 8:11 pm

Well, I have to say my first impressions are favourable. Just the fact that you can search and view the indexed results for free rather than spending 1 credit is a great improvement. I've had a few glitches in the search forms - doesn't seem to like me going back to a field I've already entered and trying to change it. Also don't like the way it keeps offering me 'Tips' and only keeps them turned off for one search at a time.

I'm not sure they'll ever go for a subscription model. Too easy to abuse the service that way?

Ross

rossm

Post by rossm » Thu Sep 29, 2016 8:21 pm

rossm wrote:Also don't like the way it keeps offering me 'Tips' and only keeps them turned off for one search at a time.
Ah, found out how to turn that off permanently now. Should have checked my preferences before complaining about it :D

Ross

Ann In the UK

Post by Ann In the UK » Thu Sep 29, 2016 8:38 pm

Also noticing quite a few ages at death listed as 131... :shock:

rossm

Post by rossm » Thu Sep 29, 2016 9:09 pm

Ann In the UK wrote:Also noticing quite a few ages at death listed as 131
Yeah, seems to be some sort of default for records with no age listed - I found a few 131s in the marriage indexes too.

I'm going to take back my earlier enthusiasm. I've been re-running saved searches which I know should return results and its not finding any. I don't know if they've got a problem with old searches not transferring over properly, or some combinations of searches just not working. Hopefully just teething problems.

Ross

Ann In the UK

Post by Ann In the UK » Thu Sep 29, 2016 9:20 pm

Just glitches I'm sure. I hope. :wink:

AndrewP
Site Admin

Post by AndrewP » Fri Sep 30, 2016 1:17 am

I think 131 was used in the background for blanks by the previous provider for ScotlandsPeople, but it was not displayed.

All the best,

AndrewP