SP credits

If you are having difficulty with the ScotlandsPeople site, or have answers

Moderator: Global Moderators

thomsos

SP credits

Post by thomsos » Sun Feb 19, 2017 3:19 pm

if you don't have an account with SP -
Is there somewhere you can buy credits for SP to give as a gift?

Sandra
Researching- Clark from Polmont, Wason from Dailly, Anderson & Williamson from Bridgeton, also Thomson, Sharp, Bryce, Gillen & Fairley

paddyscar
Site Admin

Re: SP credits

Post by paddyscar » Mon Feb 20, 2017 4:36 am

Hi Thomsos:

Some one with such an experience may be able to provide firm direction, but in the meantime ...

I don't see any way to do it provided on their website. There is a reference to signing on with vouchers, but that is with reference to your library. Perhaps some libraries provide vouchers?

You may want to
1) call/email ScotlandsPeople directly

2) give your family/friend with a bank draft or money order made out to ScotlandsPeople

3) or register as a new user and pass on the information to the person who is to receive the gift, and they can change it to keep the account private.

Frances
John Kelly (b 22 Sep 1897) eldest child of John Kelly & Christina Lipsett Kelly of Glasgow

thomsos

Post by thomsos » Mon Feb 20, 2017 9:46 am

Thank you Frances, thats what I thought, will drop SP a line.
I think it would be a good idea to be able to buy vouchers as a gift, SP would probably do quite well out of it.

Sandra
[scotland-flag]
Researching- Clark from Polmont, Wason from Dailly, Anderson & Williamson from Bridgeton, also Thomson, Sharp, Bryce, Gillen & Fairley

carlineric

Post by carlineric » Mon Feb 20, 2017 10:24 am

Not sure what the current position on the library voucher is but I think they have been/ or are being discontinued. My local Family History Society sell discounted vouchers for ScotlandsPeople.

Eric
Eric

thomsos

Post by thomsos » Mon Feb 20, 2017 11:22 am

They can be bought from - The Scottish Genealogy Society- but you have to be a member! I think its £20 a year.

Sandra

runmerry

Post by runmerry » Mon Feb 20, 2017 5:56 pm

Many years ago my son managed to get vouchers from S.P. as a gift for me I'm not exactly sure how he did it but I
think he had to register with them as a retailer and buy a certain minimum quantity, I seem to remember something like £70 worth.
It was such a hassle that anytime after he bought credits for me he would get me to login and buy them on my account.

Regards
Jen

thomsos

Post by thomsos » Mon Feb 20, 2017 6:13 pm

Thanks jen,

That does seem like a bit of a hassle, not sure i'd be giving that much. :)

Sandra

Currie

Post by Currie » Tue Feb 21, 2017 10:45 am

There's a discussion here about buying SP gift vouchers. Worked for them on the old SP site. Regular price, no discount. I checked the new site but couldn't find a similar setup. Probably best to contact SP about it in case they are still available. http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.ph ... msg5825252

All Scottish libraries should have discounted SP vouchers, including NLS Edinburgh.

"National Library of Scotland registered readers can buy discounted vouchers for the Scotlandspeople website at our Enquiry Desk." http://www.nls.uk/family-history/births ... -marriages

Alan

carlineric

Post by carlineric » Tue Feb 21, 2017 12:24 pm

There is/was a problem with the initial startup library voucher, this used a special username which identified it as a library one and then allowed you to buy top up ones afterwards. The problem is the new site does not use usernames but email addresses so it is not possible to register it unless you contact SP.

Eric
Eric

nelmit

Post by nelmit » Sat Feb 25, 2017 5:39 pm

carlineric wrote:There is/was a problem with the initial startup library voucher, this used a special username which identified it as a library one and then allowed you to buy top up ones afterwards. The problem is the new site does not use usernames but email addresses so it is not possible to register it unless you contact SP.

Eric
The start up vouchers can still be bought at Scottish Libraries (only The Mitchell in Glasgow :roll: ) at a cost of £7 for 60 credits.

You register with the code on the voucher then update to your email so there is no problem with buying as a gift.

Regards,
Annette