My Great Uncle - 6th Battalion Royal Scots Fusiliers WW2

All matters military, militia, regiments and the like. Army, Navy, Air Force etc.

Moderators: Global Moderators, Pandabean

dawnbutterworth

My Great Uncle - 6th Battalion Royal Scots Fusiliers WW2

Post by dawnbutterworth » Fri Aug 15, 2014 2:49 pm

Hi,

I have been trying to do some research into my Great Uncle Corporal Fred Hardman who served with the 6th Battalion of the Royal Scots Fusiliers during some part of World War 2 and he was killed on the 26th June 1944 on the 1st day of the Battle of Epsom. I have managed to come across some info of the various companies of the 6th Battalion and discovered that in March 1944 he was in A Company. I was wondering if anyone was still alive from his Battalion or any of the relatives who may have some info on A Company and their exploits up to him being killed. Could be a completely hopeless task but nothing ventured nothing gained.

The people who were with him in A company in March 1944 were:-
Corporal McMillan
Fusilier Grant
Fusilier Farrar
Corporal McKie
Fusilier Quinn
Fusilier Stephenson
Fusilier Graham
Fusilier White
Fusilier Herriott
Fusilier Reilly
Fusilier Barnett
Fusilier Taylor

Many thanks for taking the time to read this post.

timclark

Re: My Great Uncle - 6th Battalion Royal Scots Fusiliers WW2

Post by timclark » Fri Nov 28, 2014 5:54 pm

Hi

I read with interest that your uncle fell on the 26th june 1944.

My grandfather fell on the same day and was in the same battalion and is now buried in ryes cemetery, he was 19 years old.

I have very little information as to how or where he was killed and wondered if you had any advice to help.

His name is George Ernest Jennings .

Kind Regards Tim

StewL

Post by StewL » Sat Nov 29, 2014 7:03 am

Hi Dawn and Timclark
[TS_welcome]
I hope someone on the forum will come along and be able to help you.
Most unusual two people after similar information, I hope you can help each other
Stewie

Searching for: Anderson, Balks, Barton, Courtney, Davidson, Downie, Dunlop, Edward, Flucker, Galloway, Graham, Guthrie, Higgins, Laurie, Mathieson, McLean, McLuckie, Miln, Nielson, Payne, Phillips, Porterfield, Stewart, Watson

AndrewP
Site Admin

Post by AndrewP » Sat Nov 29, 2014 10:22 am

dawnbutterworth wrote: The people who were with him in A company in March 1944 were:-
Corporal McMillan
Fusilier Grant
Fusilier Farrar
Corporal McKie
Fusilier Quinn
Fusilier Stephenson
Fusilier Graham
Fusilier White
Fusilier Herriott
Fusilier Reilly - Fusilier Thomas Reilly, 3128019, died 26-Jun-1944
Fusilier Barnett - Fusilier Douglas Barnett, 3131968, died 26-Jun-1944
Fusilier Taylor
Hi Dawn,

See above two more who died on that same date.

If you do an advanced search on the CWGC database for Royal Scots Fusiliers who died on 26 Jun 1944, you will get 36 results. All but 3 of them were buried in one of two cemeteries: 22 in ST. MANVIEU WAR CEMETERY, CHEUX or 11 in RYES WAR CEMETERY, BAZENVILLE.

All the best,

AndrewP

dawnbutterworth

Post by dawnbutterworth » Fri Feb 20, 2015 5:11 pm

Hi Andrew,

Thank you for confirming the full names of the 2 people that also died in my Great Uncle's Regiment. I have been on the website you suggested however had absolutely no success, in fact I was hopeless, ha ha!

But I will keep searching. Do you know of anywhere where it would be possible to get hold of relatives of the Soldiers in this Company that died? I was hoping posting on this forum might uncover a few and fantastically I have just seen Tim's post above and have sent him a message. However his Grandad is not on my list so I am unsure if he was also in A Company. Hopefully will find out more if he contacts me.

Thank you so much for all your help. These forums are fantastic.

Many thanks,
Dawn