Researching Prize Sword names 1861

All matters military, militia, regiments and the like. Army, Navy, Air Force etc.

Moderators: Global Moderators, Pandabean

Will M

Researching Prize Sword names 1861

Post by Will M » Sun Sep 26, 2010 1:22 am

Hello, I am searching for any history behind the names of two individuals found on a presentation sword.
Etched to the blade is; Presented by Capt Sir Wm Baillie, to the Dalmahoy Squadron of RMLYC, for Competition in Swordsmanship, Won by Adam P Atkinson 25th July 1861. RMLYC is: Royal Mid Lothian Yeomanry Cavalry

SarahND
Site Admin

Re: Researching Prize Sword names 1861

Post by SarahND » Sun Sep 26, 2010 3:34 am

Hello Will M and a warm [TS_welcome]

How much do you already know about these two individuals? Is this Adam in the 1861 census?

Baberton Mains, Currie, Midlothian
Robert Atkinson, 50, Head, born England, Farmer of 220 Acres Employing 10 Men
Helen Atkinson, 50, Wife, born Newton, Midlothian
Adam P Atkinson, 22, Son, born South Leith, Midlothian
Jane Atkinson, 19, Daughter, born South Leith, Midlothian
Elisabeth Mclay, 20, Servant, born St Cuthberts, Edinburgh, Domestic Serv

All the best,
Sarah

AndrewP
Site Admin

Post by AndrewP » Sun Sep 26, 2010 7:01 am

Hi Will M,

Assuming Sarah has the right family above, there is no occupation shown for Adam in the 1861 census. A couple of years later, his marriage certificate shows him as a cab proprietor, and in the 1871 census he is a coach proprietor.

Baberton Mains in Currie parish is about 2 to 3 crow-flying miles from Dalmahoy in Ratho parish, both in Midlothian.

= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =

From The Scotsman Saturday 20th July 1861.
  • ASSEMBLING OF THE ROYAL MID-LOTHIAN YEOMANRY CAVALRY

The first meeting of the Royal Mid-Lothian Cavalry this year took place on Portobello Sands yesterday afternoon. There were four squadrons represented - viz., the Barnton, Dalmahoy, Musselburgh and Dalkeith. The troops, who were under the command of the Earl of Morton, Lieutenant-Colonel of the regiment were exercised in a variety of review movements, which were witnessed by a large assemblage of spectators. The Yeomanry will continue their drill daily until Thursday next, and on the following day the annual review will take place, followed on the Saturday by the races at Musselburgh.

From The Scotsman Saturday 27th July 1861.
  • REVIEW OF THE ROYAL MID-LOTHIAN YEOMANRY CAVALRY

The annual eight days' drill of the Royal Mid-Lothian Yeomanry Cavalry was concluded yesterday, when the regiment was reviewd by Colonel Darby Griffith of the Scots Greys. The Yeomanry assembled on the Sands for drill at ten o' clock, amid a drizzling rain, notwithstanding which there was a fair muster in all four squadrons. The principal officers present were:- The Earl of Morton, Lieutenant-Colonel-Commandant; the Earl of Dalkeith, Lieutenant-Colonel; Mr Wardlaw Ramsay of Whitehill; Captain Harrison, Adjutant; Captain Inglis of Redhall, leading the Barnton squadron; Captain Forman, leading the Musselburgh squadron; Major Wardlaw Ramsay, leading the Dalkeith squadron; Captain Sir Wm. Baillie of Polkemmet, leading the Dalmahoy squadron; the Earl of Buchan; Captain Johnstone Stewart of Champfleurie; Cornets Inglis, Tait, Turnbull, &c. After drill the regiment formed in review order on the north or sea-ward portion of the Sands at eleven o'clock - the Barnton squadron being placed on the right (west), with the Musselburgh and Dalkeith next, and the Dalmahoy squadron on the extreme left. The ground was kept by a detachment of the Scots Greys, and other officers. The rain began to fall more heavily about the commencement of the review, filled the hoof-marks of the horses with water and made the sands very heavy and unpleasant.

-- the article continues at length --

... The sword exercise competition, for two prizes of £10 and £5 respectively (given by Lieutenant-Colonel-Commandant, the Earl of Morton), took place on the Sands immediately after the review. About thirty competitors entered, and Adjutant Grieves, of the Scots Greys, acted as judge. After a spirited contest, in which some excellent swordsmanship was exhibited, the first prize was awarded to Mr M'Gill, Dalkeith Squadron, and the second to Mr Fraser, Dalmahoy Squadron.

From the London Gazette 4th October 1872. ( http://www.london-gazette.co.uk/issues/ ... 8/page.pdf )
  • MEMORANDUM

Her Majesty has been graciously pleased to approve the services of the Officers, Non-commissioned Officers, and men of the Midlothian Yeomanry Cavalry being dispensed with; this Regiment having failed to enrol a sufficient number of men to entitle it to be borne on the strength of the revised establishment for Yeomanry, approved by Her Majesty in April, 1870. Dated 5th October 1872.

Late Midlothian Yeomanry Cavalry

Lieutenant-Colonel-Commandant the Earl of Morton,
    Lieutenant-Colonel the Earl of Dalkeith,
    Major B. W. Ramsay,
    Captain Sir William Baillie, Bart.,
    Captain William Gillon,
    Captain James Forman
    • are permitted to retain their rank and to continue to wear the uniform of the Regiment.

So it looks like the sword pictured above was won on the day before the main review. Another sword competition followed the review on 26th July.

All the best,

AndrewP
Last edited by AndrewP on Sun Sep 26, 2010 8:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: 27th July article added.

Currie

Post by Currie » Sun Sep 26, 2010 7:53 am

This news item is the following year but there appears to have been a Mr. Aitken in the regiment who was an excellent swordsman. Maybe the newspaper or the sword-maker muddled the name. It doesn’t mention his rank but then neither does the sword.

The Caledonian Mercury, Friday, August 1, 1862
YEOMANRY SWORD EXERCISE COMPETITION.—At the close of the drill of the Royal Midlothian Yeomanry Cavalry, yesterday afternoon, a competition in sword exercise took place. The first prize, a silver cup, value £10, was carried off by Sergeant Mann, Dalmahoy Squadron; and the second prize, also a silver cup, valued £6, was gained by Private James Stenhouse, Musselburgh Squadron. Mr Aitken, an excellent swordsman, was, as a mark of merit, presented with an extra prize of £5, subscribed by the officers of the squadron. The review of the regiment takes place at Portobello today, commencing at half past ten o’clock, and the races at Musselburgh on Saturday.

Here’s what the Regiment was doing on the day after the presentation, the day before the annual races.

The Caledonian Mercury, Saturday, July 27, 1861
REVIEW OF THE ROYAL MIDLOTHIAN YEOMANRY CAVALRY.—This regiment having been the prescribed period of eight days in training, the customary inspection and review took place yesterday morning on the Portobello sands. The attendance during the days of training has been above the average; and certainly the muster of yesterday, notwithstanding the most unfavourable state of the weather, proved no exception. Nearly 250 men, belonging to the four squadrons—viz., Barnton, Dalmahoy, Dalkeith, and Musselburgh—were present under the command of the Earl of Morton, Lieutenant-Colonel Commandant. In consequence of the state of the tide, the review took place at half-past nine—a much earlier hour than has usually been the case; and this, taken in connection with the heavy rain which fell during the whole forenoon, no doubt accounted for the very small assemblage of people to witness the evolutions. The captains of the various squadrons present were—Barnton, Captain Inglis of Redhall; Dalmahoy, Sir Wm. Baillie, Bart. of Polkemmet; Dalkeith, Major Wardlaw Ramsay, in absence of Lord Henry Scott, who is at present engaged canvassing the electors of Selkirkshire; and Musselburgh, Captain Forman. Colonel Darby Griffith, of the Scots Greys, was the inspecting officer, and a party of the Greys was present to keep the ground. The Yeomanry were put through a variety of cavalry field evolutions, such as forming line, charging in fours, charging in line, and forming square—all of which were executed most admirably, considering the short time allotted to this regiment each year for drill. At the conclusion of the inspection, Colonel Griffith complimented the Yeomanry on their soldier-like and creditable appearance; and stated that it would afford him much pleasure in making a favourable report to the proper quarter. Three cheers were then given, by the Yeomanry, and the squadrons were marched to their respective quarters, the bespattered appearance of the men exciting much commiseration, and not unfrequently much amusement as they passed along. The annual races of the regiment takes place to-day at Musselburgh.

Judging by a notice in the Caledonian Mercury, Thursday, July 25, 1861, it looks like they were all at the Operetta on the evening of the 25th.
http://i944.photobucket.com/albums/ad28 ... -Sword.jpg

Hope that’s useful,
Alan

Will M

Post by Will M » Sun Sep 26, 2010 5:18 pm

WOW!! Thank-you very much, such a wealth of information. I can see from the other swordmanship winner, that civilians competed and won on occasion, probably spent years previously as a swordsman or retired from the military.
It is fantastic to have this information attached to this sword, a reminder of the past can now speak.

In a future post I will definately ask about my family history, I only have information once my grandfather came to Canada in the early 1900's as a young man. He joined the 48th Highlanders in Toronto in 1904 until 1908, and graduated Royal College of Dental Surgeons in 1908 as a dentist. My grandfathers name is William Alexander Mathieson.

Again thank-you for all the great info on these individuals, it brings an old sword to life.

Regards, Will Mathieson

Currie

Post by Currie » Mon Sep 27, 2010 1:30 pm

Back again Will,

Here’s something you may find interesting if you haven’t seen it before.

It’s a tour of Charles Reeves factory at Birmingham.

“England's Workshops” 1864
http://books.google.com.au/books?id=JYk ... AJ&pg=PA18

For anyone interested there are lots of other industrial tours contained within, even the lowly Paper Bag. See the contents page at the front.

Alan

Will M

Post by Will M » Tue Sep 28, 2010 1:31 am

Thank-you Alan, I just took a quick look at it, absolutely fantastic. I will post the link on SFI for all the sword enthusiasts!
I always find that reading period newspapers and books much more interesting than later accounts with hindsight.
I must get back to reading the link you sent me.
Regards, Will.

19JeSSMoRe85

Post by 19JeSSMoRe85 » Wed Oct 19, 2011 4:33 am

I just wonder how is he related to Rowan Atkinson?
[quote="EXCERPT"][color=#105289][i][u]A few of them have been shown to the public in some exhibits, including those hosted by Planet Hollywood. On the other hand, the demand for movie replicas of [url=http://www.weapons-universe.com/Swords/Movie_Swords/Highlander_Swords.shtml]Highlander sword[/url] continues to grow.[/u][/i][/color][/quote]

paddyscar
Site Admin

Post by paddyscar » Wed Oct 19, 2011 3:54 pm

That may be a job for 'Who do you think you are?' or 'Ancestors in the Attic'. :wink:

Frances
John Kelly (b 22 Sep 1897) eldest child of John Kelly & Christina Lipsett Kelly of Glasgow

Will M

Post by Will M » Wed Dec 28, 2016 3:47 pm

Years later now a friend found the newspaper clipping answering why and by who he was awarded the sword.
Attachments
image-2.jpg
image-2.jpg (41.87 KiB) Viewed 606 times
Adam P Atkinson, 1821 sword copy.png
Adam P Atkinson, 1821 sword copy.png (91.99 KiB) Viewed 606 times