Gordon Highlanders.....

All matters military, militia, regiments and the like. Army, Navy, Air Force etc.

Moderators: Global Moderators, Pandabean

Caroline

Gordon Highlanders.....

Post by Caroline » Tue Nov 22, 2005 1:59 pm

I'm trying to find my grandads war records, but I'm afraid I'm a bit of a novice in this field and I was looking for some advice.

My grandad, George Ross, was in WW1 and was a private in the 53rd Gordon Highlanders (66 W. Lines). I got this info from the back of a photo of him in his uniform.

I've tried the Nationaal Archives site but there are too many soldiers with the same name in the Gordons and I don't know which one is him as I don't have his regiment number.

Is there anyway I can get more info?

Caroline
Last edited by Caroline on Thu Nov 24, 2005 8:31 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Hood, Nicholson, Strang, Taylor, Wallace - GLASGOW
Ritchie, Robertson, Smith, Summers - FIFE
Henderson, Montgomery, Rutherford - HAUGH OF URR
Hart, McAdam, Young - DUNBARTONSHIRE
Caldwell, Roberts - RENFREWSHIRE

Ted

Post by Ted » Tue Nov 22, 2005 3:41 pm

Hi Caroline

Firstly - did your Grandad survive WW1 - if not you can search on Commonwealth War Graves Commission site. If he did survive you might be able to get a medal index card for him at National Archives - given that you know his service unit - from this you might be lucky to get his service number - which in turn may get you his service record from Kew. However do remember that a large proportion of WW1 records were destroyed in WW2. If you post on the Great War Forum site you may get expert help there.

Hope this helps

Ted
Looking for Allan / Gordon / Troup / McInnes / Grant / Taylor / Jackson from Aberdeen (city & shire) & Banffshire
Alexander / Allan / Stewart in W Lothian
Allan / Burnett in USA and Canada / Davidson & Philp in Fife and Lanarkshire

Caroline

Post by Caroline » Tue Nov 22, 2005 4:51 pm

Sorry Ted I should have stated that he was lucky enough to survive WWW1. He must have lied about his age when joining up though because he was born in July 1900

I did a search on National Archives for his medal card but when I entered his name and Gordon Hoghlanders I got 25 results! When I added 53rd to narrow it down a bit I got none!

Any suggestions?

By the way what does 66 W. Lines mean?

Caroline

Ted

Post by Ted » Tue Nov 22, 2005 8:27 pm

Hi Caroline

Sorry but I am the edge of my knowledge from here - however lots of great help and true experts will be sure to assist on this link - make some posts there & you will get help in no time- good luck

http://1914-1918.org/forum/index.php?s= ... opic=29696

Ted
Looking for Allan / Gordon / Troup / McInnes / Grant / Taylor / Jackson from Aberdeen (city & shire) & Banffshire
Alexander / Allan / Stewart in W Lothian
Allan / Burnett in USA and Canada / Davidson & Philp in Fife and Lanarkshire

Tracey
Global Moderator

Post by Tracey » Tue Nov 22, 2005 9:50 pm

Hi Caroline

You could try writing to.............
Army Personnel Centre,
Historical Disclosures,
Mailpoint 400,
Kentigern House,
65 Brown Street,
Glasgow G2 8EX

Here is the site address so you can look instead of me getting in a tizz trying to explain it ! http://www.mod.uk/contacts/army_records.htm

It says on the site that............. There is a search fee for genealogical enquiries which currently stands at £25.00. But my last "quote" said £30 !
Scotland - Donaldson / Moggach / Shaw / Geddes / Sim / Gray / Mackie / Richards / Joel / Coull / Mckimmie / Panton / McGregor
Ireland and Scotland - Casey / McDade / Phillips / McCandle / Dinely / Comaskey + various spellings

Tracey
Global Moderator

Post by Tracey » Tue Nov 22, 2005 10:19 pm

Hi Caroline

Just a thought.............One thing my dad and his brother can do is roll off everyones service number !! (must be a boy thing !) both in their 70,s and cant remember where they left their glasses never mind anything else but for some reason these numbers are tatooed on their minds. Could someone in your family help you with this ?
Scotland - Donaldson / Moggach / Shaw / Geddes / Sim / Gray / Mackie / Richards / Joel / Coull / Mckimmie / Panton / McGregor
Ireland and Scotland - Casey / McDade / Phillips / McCandle / Dinely / Comaskey + various spellings

Caroline

Post by Caroline » Wed Nov 23, 2005 4:33 pm

Thanks for that Tracey I've had a look at the website and I'll get in touch with them.

Unfortunately I can't get hold of my grandads service number as my mum was an only child and sadly she now has dementia so I'll just have to plough on without it I'm afraid.

Caroline

DavidWW

Post by DavidWW » Wed Nov 23, 2005 11:55 pm

Caroline wrote:Sorry Ted I should have stated that he was lucky enough to survive WWW1. He must have lied about his age when joining up though because he was born in July 1900

I did a search on National Archives for his medal card but when I entered his name and Gordon Hoghlanders I got 25 results! When I added 53rd to narrow it down a bit I got none!

Any suggestions?

By the way what does 66 W. Lines mean?

Caroline
Caroline

It's near certian that "53rd" refers to the Division, - several battalions combined together, - in this case possibly the 53rd Highland Division, - I'm away from home so can't check, - rather that a particular battalion of the Gordons.

Many WWI soldiers' records were destroyed or at least damaged by Luftwaffe bombing during WWII - the so-called "Burnt Papers".

If he had served in the army prior to WWI that can change the situation !!

David

Caroline

Post by Caroline » Thu Nov 24, 2005 4:46 pm

Hi David,

After reading your post I searched through the photos I have of my grandad and found a piece of a very tatty photo of a group of soldiers, including him, that said at the bottom

D Coy. 53rd Battn Gordon Highlanders
Catterick Nov 1919

So that makes me think that he was in the 53rd Battalion, or have I got it wrong?

I've learnt, through searching the web and posting on the site Ted mentioned, that this battalion were formed in 1917 in Tillicoultry and never actually fought in the war. I'm still confused about where to apply for his records though as I have no idea when he left the army and I know he served in the TA in WW2.

If there's any other info you can give me when you get home David I'd be grateful as I'm struggling because my knowledge of the army and the terms used is very limited

Caroline
Last edited by Caroline on Thu Nov 24, 2005 8:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DavidWW

Post by DavidWW » Thu Nov 24, 2005 6:55 pm

Caroline wrote:Hi David,

After reading your post I searched through the photos I have of my grandad and found a piece of a very tatty photo of a group of soldiers, including him, that said at the bottom

D Coy. 53rd Battn Gordon Highlanders
Catterick Nov 1919

So that makes me think that he was in the 53rd Battalion, or have I got it wrong?

....snipped ...................

Caroline
Caroline

I'm not at home, so can't check my booklet on the subject, but there would have most probably been no more thqn around 20 battallions of Gordons in WW1.

I'm convinced that "53rd" refers to the division.

If, that is, it is "53rd" ........ could it be 5/3rd ??..............

David