Crimean War.....

All matters military, militia, regiments and the like. Army, Navy, Air Force etc.

Moderators: Global Moderators, Pandabean

Crimean War.....

Post by Guest » Wed Feb 09, 2005 11:53 pm

Richard Goodall, Corporal, Scots Fusilier Guards.

Would appreciate any guidance as how best to find info on Richard. He appears to have vanished around time of Crimean War (Thin Red Line and other famous moments).

He seems not to have died in Scotland, although his (ex) wife Mary [nee Lees] married a Barnes and is residing in Kilmarnock with the Goodall children by 1881 census.

Finding officers is relatively simple, but what can you do with one little corporal. (excluding Mr. Schicklegruber!)

Dave

sporran

Re: Richard Goodall

Post by sporran » Thu Feb 10, 2005 1:25 am

Hello Dave,

I think that you are a few years out with your estimates. Richard Goodall (porter) was the informant to daughter Elizabeth's birth in Edinburgh during 1867, which is 11 years after the end of the Crimean War. With the previous two having been born in England and Ireland, the family were moving around seriously. Mary re-married as a widow in 1880 but I have not found a death for Richard in Scotland.

Regards,

John

DavidWW

Re: Crimean War

Post by DavidWW » Thu Feb 10, 2005 4:38 am

davesloan wrote:Richard Goodall, Corporal, Scots Fusilier Guards.

Would appreciate any guidance as how best to find info on Richard. He appears to have vanished around time of Crimean War (Thin Red Line and other famous moments).

He seems not to have died in Scotland, although his (ex) wife Mary [nee Lees] married a Barnes and is residing in Kilmarnock with the Goodall children by 1881 census.

Finding officers is relatively simple, but what can you do with one little corporal. (excluding Mr. Schicklegruber!)

Dave
Given the info that you have, and given that he survived to earn a pension, you would be amazed what can exist at Kew.

A cousin and I recently sorted out a jigsaw puzzle involving our JACKs in the NE of Aberdeenshire, resulting in the extensive records of the military career of our several-g-great-uncle in the 51st Oxfordshire Light Infantry in the whole of the Peninsular Campaign, starting with the intial campaign that resulted in the retreat to Corunna, continuing with Wellington's return, right through to Waterloo, along the way being severely wounded at one of the major Peninsular siege/storming actions.

I'd recommend a look at http://www.crimeanwar.info/ and the expenditure of the required £5 to see what info could result on Richard GOODALL, Corporal, Scots Fusilier Guards.

I can also pass on to you the name of a very good and economical Kew military records researcher. Email me if you are interested.

Davie

mesklin

Post by mesklin » Fri Feb 11, 2005 12:43 am

Thanks John. I've been so entangled recently that I did not follow up on Elizabeth, as I should have. Object lesson in that.

Davie. Might just go the Kew route when I get a chance. Richard certainly did 'get around a bit'. So did his sons. Archie toured the world as a Strong Man act. A real character.

Dave