Re:Scottish School records

All matters military, militia, regiments and the like. Army, Navy, Air Force etc.

Moderators: Global Moderators, Pandabean

Clyde Ashton

Re:Scottish School records

Post by Clyde Ashton » Sat Jul 14, 2007 2:53 am

Hello Everyone, :P

We are experiencing some cooler than normal weather here in Brisbane(Down under) at the moment. We really need some of that extra rain that the U.K has been getting :? . I am still researching my Great-Grandfather Alec Hill's early life, after he was born in Leith, Edinburgh in 1864/65 to Henry Hill and Margaret Douglas. I have not been able to obtain a birth certificate to confirm this event, although i have documentary evident putting both his mother and father at Leith in 1864/65. They may not have married, as Henry died in India in 1871, while serving there in the British Army. I don't know where Margaret moved to after Leith :x
I though of checking for Alec Hill, in any Poorhouse in the area, and also school records. Would anyone be able to help me with the location of these respective records, and also any suggestions with regards to him. :!:

Good researching Everyone
Researching-Ashton-Cary-Cunningham-Douglas-Fisk-Grover-Hill-Hockl(e)y-Hunter-Kirk-Mau(w)desly-Minett McGregor-Rees

StewL

Post by StewL » Sat Jul 14, 2007 3:51 am

Hello Clyde

I couldn’t find your Alec on the BVRI, so I did a search on IGI just for interest.
There is an Alec Hill on IGI but they are both LDS Submissions! Of course you probably have had a look at them before.

Alec William Douglas Hill b Abt 1860 Leith, Midlothian
No parents but has a spouse Alice Hunter m. 19 Oct 1892 Prah(ran) Victoria Aust

Alec William Douglas Hill b Abt 1860 Leith, Midlothian.
Parents Henry Douglas Hill (sic) & Margaret Hill (sic) a parent search for Henry Hill and Margaret Douglas returns a zero result.
But as I said these are both LDS Submissions.

On doing a search for Alec on SP brings up zero as you know. But when I did a search using soundex with the parameters Alexander Hill 1859-1863 Midlothian, Leith there pops up one match. But as I don’t have the credits to have a look I couldn’t tell if it is possibly him. So there is a possibility that he might be there but mis-indexed.

I realise you might have already gone through all this before, but who knows :lol:
Stewie

Searching for: Anderson, Balks, Barton, Courtney, Davidson, Downie, Dunlop, Edward, Flucker, Galloway, Graham, Guthrie, Higgins, Laurie, Mathieson, McLean, McLuckie, Miln, Nielson, Payne, Phillips, Porterfield, Stewart, Watson

AndrewP
Site Admin

Post by AndrewP » Sat Jul 14, 2007 7:20 am

Hi Clyde,

For Scottish records the IGI is very accurate for the 1855 to 1875 period where the records were extracted fom the statutory records held in New Register House. The exception to this is the LDS submitted entries, some of which are good, others not so.

I agree with Stew's search that the only sign of Alec on the IGI is in two LDS submitted entries. In case of mistranscription I tried a few other IGI searches.

The Leith births of 1855 to 1875 are in IGI batch C116921. So to search for all Hills born there and then - no results resembling Alec Hill. In the same batch for any child's name born to a Henry and a Margaret - no useful results. In that same batch, any child Alexander (in which the IGI includes Alec, Alex etc) born to father Henry - no useful results. In that same batch, any child Alexander born to mother Margaret - no useful results.

My feeling is that this information that leads you to Leith about 1860 is probably misinformation. Have you found the family in any census that shows a birthplace for Alec?

All the best,

AndrewP

JustJean

Post by JustJean » Sat Jul 14, 2007 1:06 pm

Hi Andrew

This topic has been tossed around a bit before....but with equally dis-satisfying results....
:(
viewtopic.php?t=5248&start=0&postdays=0 ... henry+hill

Best wishes
Jean

garibaldired

Post by garibaldired » Sat Jul 14, 2007 9:42 pm

Clyde,

Have you tried searching under Douglas on Scotlands people. There seems to be a birth for an Ale* Douglas in Leith in 1861.
Regards,
Meg

Clyde Ashton

Re:Scots in Jamiaca in the 18th Century

Post by Clyde Ashton » Wed Aug 07, 2013 12:11 pm

Hello Everyone,

I am back after a break of 3 years and need your help with my research into my Scottish ancestors
from Kelso Roxburgh, in particular Robert Cunningham who was a coffee Planter in Jamiaca in the
18th Century.
Firstly what records would give me information regarding his transportation form Scotland to the
West Indies in the mid 1700's? I am currently transcribing his will after his death in 1789.
Secondly what records would give me information regarding his children and their families return to
Scotland in the late 1700's?
I expect that passenger ships were very irregular in that period.

Hoping some one can help with this one. In the meantime take care and happy hunting!

Regards, Clyde
Researching-Ashton-Cary-Cunningham-Douglas-Fisk-Grover-Hill-Hockl(e)y-Hunter-Kirk-Mau(w)desly-Minett McGregor-Rees

Clyde Ashton

Re: Birth of Ale* Douglas in 1861

Post by Clyde Ashton » Wed Aug 07, 2013 12:28 pm

To Whom it may Concern, :)

How would I get more information about the birth mentioned below?
Please advise.

Regards, Clyde

garibaldired wrote:Clyde,

Have you tried searching under Douglas on Scotlands people. There seems to be a birth for an Ale* Douglas in Leith in 1861.
Regards,
Meg

JustJean

Re: Re:Scottish School records

Post by JustJean » Wed Aug 07, 2013 12:54 pm

Hi there

To view the birth record you would need to search and view via the http://www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk website which will cost a few credits to accomplish. i already had a look for that and the only birth i see was in south leith to a father named robert douglas who was a spirit merchant and his wife with mn strachan. in other words....probably not your man.

Oops....the details above were for the birth in 1871...... the one in 1861 were also in south leith and father was william douglas a general porter, and wife janet mn black...again...probably not your man based on the parent details you have provided.

best wishes
jean
Last edited by JustJean on Wed Aug 07, 2013 1:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

trish1

Re: Birth of Ale* Douglas in 1861

Post by trish1 » Wed Aug 07, 2013 12:59 pm

Clyde Ashton wrote:To Whom it may Concern, :)

How would I get more information about the birth mentioned below?
Please advise.

Regards, Clyde

garibaldired wrote:Clyde,

Regards,
Meg
You can firstly check on familysearch.org (because they have indexes for the years 1855-1874) - and sadly the birth seems to be an Alexander Douglas parents William Douglas and Janet Black - so not yours.

scotlandspeople.gov.uk is the site to search for and buy certificate images from Scotland - and other records, census, wills, early oprs. Very inexpensive compared to the price of Australian records

Sorry I cannot help with your shipping query.