A succesful year

Share your success stories here.

Moderator: Global Moderators

StewL

A succesful year

Post by StewL » Tue Dec 25, 2007 12:30 am

Hi all
Time to share my success that I had this year.
Earlier this year I got a lead from a distant relative sharing a common ancestor (of course :lol: )
It started with a simple lead on Philips/Philip in my mothers line. Just a simple thing like the wife of a mysterious Robert Philip(s) he married a Marrion Balks, and I was given her parents. After doing a bit of researching myself, mainly using BVRI, I found a line back to Balks/Banks/Flucker/Nielson. At first I was a bit unsure if I had it right as I had done it all on my own up to that point. Was I a happy little vegemite when I started to get matches on Genes, and after quite a few contacts I found that I had the right lot, not only that but I was spot on. Thanks to these contacts I got back even further than I had (1640's) all living in Midlothian around Duddingston. And I got a bonus of a 6th cousin too, no X removed, as we share 5 identical sets of ggrandparents. What a bonus this simple link gave me. The only downside if you can call it that, is that the Balks/Flucker/Nielson lot tended to keep it in the family :oops: :shock: so even now no one is quite sure who married whom :shock: As there is a lot of marriages within the same families. :oops: :roll: No talk of wains with two heids from you lot :shock: :D
Stewie

Searching for: Anderson, Balks, Barton, Courtney, Davidson, Downie, Dunlop, Edward, Flucker, Galloway, Graham, Guthrie, Higgins, Laurie, Mathieson, McLean, McLuckie, Miln, Nielson, Payne, Phillips, Porterfield, Stewart, Watson

LesleyB

Post by LesleyB » Tue Dec 25, 2007 12:33 am

Hi Stewie
Great to hear of your success
No talk of wains with two heids from you lot
As if we would.. xmas:cheesygrin: xmas:lol: xmas:lol: xmas:lol: xmas:lol: xmas:lol:

Best wishes
Lesley

trish58

Succesful Year

Post by trish58 » Tue Dec 25, 2007 10:33 am

Hi Stewie xmas:wink:

Congratulations on the find, I guess your project for 2008 is to sort them all out. :)

Good Luck with that one :lol: ( know it's no laughing matter but it is Christmas)

Best wishes
Tricia

StewL

Post by StewL » Wed Dec 26, 2007 7:54 am

Tricia

Sort them out :shock:

According to the information I have from a few researchers, some who have been researching this lot for about 30years. They are sorted the best the will be :lol: :lol: :lol: Believe me, at times it wis fair dain ma heid in :lol: :lol: Time to put this lot aside for a wee while :lol:
am feart o funnin some o' those wains wi twa heids :lol: :wink: :lol:
Stewie

Searching for: Anderson, Balks, Barton, Courtney, Davidson, Downie, Dunlop, Edward, Flucker, Galloway, Graham, Guthrie, Higgins, Laurie, Mathieson, McLean, McLuckie, Miln, Nielson, Payne, Phillips, Porterfield, Stewart, Watson