I have a real live ghost in Maryhill!!!

Share your success stories here.

Moderator: Global Moderators

Anne H
Global Moderator

Post by Anne H » Mon Oct 05, 2009 10:39 pm

Hi Wilma,
When I looked, she appeared and disappeared depending on where you were on the street ! weird in the context
When I first looked for a split second my hair stood on edge!!! :lol:

Regards,
Anne H

Rach

Post by Rach » Tue Oct 06, 2009 5:19 pm

Hi Anne,
That is a weird one. As you say, sometimes she is there and sometimes not. Perhaps she was having a ciggie at the door [see box on ground], saw the camera and decided to disappear before it turned round for the other view!
Rae
Names of interest: Perthshire- Taylor, McDonald, McRaw, Gould; Caithness- Cormack, Campbell, Sutherland; Berwickshire- Darling, Johnson, Whitlie, Forrest/Forrester/Foster, Barns/Barnes,Buglass/Bookless; Wilson, Thorburn, Cowe, Laing, Rae, Colven, Collin,

Anne H
Global Moderator

Post by Anne H » Tue Oct 06, 2009 5:28 pm

Hi Rae,
Perhaps she was having a ciggie at the door [see box on ground], saw the camera and decided to disappear before it turned round for the other view!
That's probably the answer! We smokers do tend to be in one place one minute and disappear the next! :lol:

Still prefer it if she was a ghost...especially if she could answer all these questions that I have :!: :lol: :lol:

Regards,
Anne H

Mparkhill

Re: I have a real live ghost in Maryhill!!!

Post by Mparkhill » Sun Feb 14, 2016 8:38 pm

Hi,

Would love to get in touch with you as Daniel and Margaret Munn are also ancestors of mine. In fact I hope to visit Munns Vaults on Tuesday for a look around. I don't know if you have any photographs. I have a treasured one of my aunt, her mother, her grand mother and her great grandmother who was Mrs Margaret Munn.

Margaret

Anne H
Global Moderator

Post by Anne H » Mon Feb 15, 2016 12:59 am

Hello Margaret and [TS_welcome]

Goodness, it's been a long time since I worked on the Munn family so will have to go over the files to refresh my memory. I'm afraid I don't have any photos to share but would love to have a peek at your photos if you don't mind.

I'd be interested to hear if you experience any strange feelings of the ''ghost'' of Mrs Munn when you visit Munns Vaults.

It's a bit late now and I'm ready for bed so I'll send you a pm tomorrow.

Glad you got in touch.

Regards,
Anne

Mparkhill

Post by Mparkhill » Mon Feb 15, 2016 4:54 pm

The trip to Munns is a spur of the moment thing so I had forgotten my family history. In fact I'm related to Margaret Munn nee Russell via her first marriage to James Arbuckle.

Happy to send you a copy of the photo and glad you replied so quickly. I'll be in touch after my visit to Munns. I would be interested if you found a death certificate for Daniel Munn. There was a hint from my parents that he left Margaret possibly to go abroad. I had a quick look for a death certificate and didn't find one. Mind you I was looking late at night so may be my error.

Anne H
Global Moderator

Post by Anne H » Mon Feb 15, 2016 9:15 pm

I couldn't find a death certificate for Daniel Munn either, however, there is an inventory for him stating he died in Glasgow 17 Jan 1875 and wife Margaret Russell or Munn is the executrix.

I'll send you my email address by pm and you can email me a copy of the photo and tell me about your visit to Munns when you get the chance.

[cheers]
Anne

AndrewP
Site Admin

Post by AndrewP » Tue Feb 16, 2016 1:28 am

Hi Anne and Margaret,

Daniel's death certificate is there on ScotlandsPeople, but mis-indexed as Daniel NUNN.

All the best,

AndrewP

Anne H
Global Moderator

Post by Anne H » Tue Feb 16, 2016 2:16 am

Thanks Andrew. Didn't think about the first letter. =D>

Margaret: Daniel Munn died 17 Jan 1875 at Russell's Land, Garscube Road, Maryhill of phthisis and laryngitis. The informant was his brother-in-law William (Arttan ??? can't make out the surname). Anyway, William lived at 186 New City Road, Glasgow.

So that's that mystery solved.

Cheers Andrew!
[cheers]
Anne

AndrewP
Site Admin

Post by AndrewP » Tue Feb 16, 2016 7:23 am

Hi Anne,

A search of the 1875 valuation roll for the address 186 New City Road, Glasgow suggests a likely surname for William, the informant to the registrar for Daniel Munn's death. See where that leads you.

All the best,

AndrewP