It just takes time.

Share your success stories here.

Moderator: Global Moderators

lynne smith

It just takes time.

Post by lynne smith » Sun Jan 09, 2011 12:38 am

For quite some time I have been looking for the first husband of Elizabeth Isabella Ellis, James A.S. Morgan born 1846. Well it was not hard to find his birth, etc. I wanted his death date, so that I could appreciate and document the reason for her second marriage to John Barclay Smith. There were, I think, 3 children from the first union, so I thought it important to "marry up" the half siblings. I finally gave up looking elsewhere, and started word for word, line for line reading anything I had. Well, while doing that I spotted the maiden name of a fellow family searcher in the header of her email which could match up with the name of my James Smith's mother. So I wrote her an email and she said she would look through her recordings, and it was almost like a "and by the way", and yes, she knew exactly what happend to James Morgan, he died in 1903 of lung ailments. I found one son James Morgan in Virginia, and his son James Morgan. My last brick wall is trying to find out about my great grandfather George Edward Brewer, born 1846 in Bolton, England. He is supposed to have immigrated to the U.S., and opened or bought or something a foundry. I have found him sailing to New York three times from England, and recently read some material that said prior to 1930 there was no requirement to document people leaving the USA, so no wonder I don't see him leaving. He married in England to Martha Hannah Peat, or Martha Peet, and had a son (my grandfather) Stanley Brewer, who is in one of the census working in a coal mine at the age of 14, boarding with people I have no record of. Don't have any idea about Martha, and there is nothing on her going to the states, either. I have searched every thing I can think of, so if anyone has an idea or suggestion I would really appreciate it. In the meanwhile, I think I have been pretty lucky in breaking down all my other "brick walls", but it has been suprising where some of the answers came from :D Lynne Smith (looking for George Edward Brewer, b. 1846) :?

Russell

Re: It just takes time.

Post by Russell » Wed Feb 16, 2011 12:03 pm

Well folks

Has anyone come across a George Edward Brewer b 1846 in Bolton :?:

Why is it that some of our ancestors hide in obscure places or manage to get themselves recorded under bizarre names ?

Russell
Working on: Oman, Brock, Miller/Millar, in Caithness.
Roan/Rowan, Hastings, Sharp, Lapraik in Ayr & Kirkcudbrightshire.
Johnston, Reside, Lyle all over the place !
McGilvray(spelt 26 different ways)
Watson, Morton, Anderson, Tawse, in Kilrenny

SarahND
Site Admin

Post by SarahND » Wed Feb 16, 2011 3:19 pm

Hi Lynne,
It would help if you could give us all the information you have on George. First of all, I don't see a George Brewer born Bolton in 1846 on FreeBMD. In any of the Boltons :roll: There appear to be Boltons of one sort or another in 6 different counties in England. Where did the birth info come from?

In what year did he marry Martha Peet and where?

Could you tell us which years you have found him on the passenger lists?

All the best,
Sarah

Tracey
Global Moderator

Post by Tracey » Wed Feb 16, 2011 4:55 pm

As far as i am aware there is only one Bolton (and they have a football team !) and that is near Manchester and probably comes under Lancashire. I think this is probably it.

The other close call i know of is *The Boltons* around Belgravia which is or was the most expensive part of London.
Scotland - Donaldson / Moggach / Shaw / Geddes / Sim / Gray / Mackie / Richards / Joel / Coull / Mckimmie / Panton / McGregor
Ireland and Scotland - Casey / McDade / Phillips / McCandle / Dinely / Comaskey + various spellings

Tracey
Global Moderator

Post by Tracey » Wed Feb 16, 2011 5:27 pm

Free BMD has them marrying in the above Bolton March qtr 1874 but im sure you have seen that by now !
Scotland - Donaldson / Moggach / Shaw / Geddes / Sim / Gray / Mackie / Richards / Joel / Coull / Mckimmie / Panton / McGregor
Ireland and Scotland - Casey / McDade / Phillips / McCandle / Dinely / Comaskey + various spellings

SarahND
Site Admin

Post by SarahND » Wed Feb 16, 2011 6:03 pm

Hi Tracey,
Did you find the birth, also? I assumed that it was the Bolton you mention, but couldn't find a birth in that year in that area, so went to http://www.ukbmd.org.uk/genuki/reg/ and checked the index of places in England and Wales and saw there were these other possibilities in that time frame:

Bolton ERY Pocklington district
Bolton LAN Bolton district
Bolton NBL Alnwick district
Bolton WES West Ward district
Bolton WRY Bradford district
Bolton Abbey WRY Skipton district
Bolton by Bowland WRY Clitheroe district
Bolton Percy WRY Tadcaster district
Bolton upon Dearne WRY Doncaster district
Bolton-le-Sands LAN Lancaster district
Bolton-on-Swale NRY Richmond district

Made my head spin so I gave up! :lol:

Sarah

Tracey
Global Moderator

Post by Tracey » Wed Feb 16, 2011 6:19 pm

No the only one i saw was a birth in Chelsea 1846. I said The Boltons were Belgravia when really they are Kensington. Kensington is now the borough of Kensington and Chelsea !
I would never have thought to have looked for another *Bolton* (another lesson learned). All those Boltons :? , having just watched Black Swan i dont know whats more depressing !

lynne smith

Post by lynne smith » Wed Apr 13, 2011 9:34 pm

It has been quite a while since I last checked in to TalkingScot., or anyting for that matter. My son passed away, and although I am still grieving, it is time to get back to the life that goes on. I am still trying to piece together the connection between George Brewer b. 1851 and Martha Hannah Peat b. 1856. George died in 1889 and Martha died in 1890. George's occupation was a joiner. Both of their estates were administrated by Martha's brother Robert Peat, his in 1889 and Martha's in 1890. Both had 30 pounds in their estates. The guardian to their only child and heir was Robert Peat. Stanley was born Greater Manchester, Lancaster, Bolton, U.K., and he died in 1945 in Vancouver B.C., Canada. His wife was Ruth Brewer, born Weaver. So, since my last post I have dug up some history. Oh - George and Martha married in March 1874 Bolton, Greater Manchester Lancashire (first quarter)., and the estates were adminstered or registered, or whatever in Bangor.
Now comes the brick wall!! My mother received a small inheritance from Ella Charlton in early 1970's. My sister found a copy of the will disbursements in my Mum's things after she died. I recall my grandmother Brewer being furious that she was not recognized in the will, and only "blood relatives" were. I have found Ella's birth date being 1898 and she died in 1966. Her husband was John H. Charlton, and he was on the voters list in 1953, and their residence was 11 Clarence Gardens, Llandudno. Named in the will were: Charlotte Davies, Elsie Roberts, Joseph Bonsell Jones, Walter Jones, Trevor Jones, David Edward Jones, and of course the living children of my grandfather Stanley Brewer. D.E. Jones was given expenses to Llandudno at solicitors request to assist in prep. of the family pedigree. The London Gazette had the statutory notice to creditors, but the funeral home records do not go back that far, and although probate court fees were paid - Bangor registry, they have no record. In a different section of the will accounting was Paul Henry Charlton, who recieved some monies, but not as much as the others mentioned. Charlotte Davies received one quarter share, and the others mentioned and the Brewers received one twentieth share.
Try as I may, making the connection from my grandfather Brewer to Ella Charlton has just not happened. Any help or suggestions would really be appreciated.
Thank you, Lynne

Alan SHARP

Post by Alan SHARP » Wed Apr 13, 2011 9:48 pm

Greetings Lynne.

Indeed it does !

Please accept our condolences. Loosing an immediate family member is not a pleasant experience, no matter what the circumstances. I’ve had my fair share. Just when you think you have got your life back into a more “normal” routine, the smallest of things can knock you for a six.

Good on you for picking up again, with your hobbies. I can assure you, getting up and about again, is the right thing to do, to help with the healing process.

Regards, Alan.

lynne smith

Post by lynne smith » Wed Apr 27, 2011 7:21 pm

Thank you Alan. I have never dealt with anything so painful as the loss of our son. It was an accident that took him, he slipped on some snow that had rotten apples underneath, on the edge of a 20 foot bank. He was found the next morning. We are a very close family, and that does help. He left us two beautiful grandsons, and a fantastic daughter in law.

OK - I have found something else on Ellen Charlton, her husband, John H Charlton was living in the same residence in 1929 as in 1952. Boy, this is a hard one to search. It seems silly to have so much evidence, and still not know who Ellen Charlton was ! Common sense tells me that because Martha Hannah Peat and George Brewer died so young, their son lived with Martha's sister Ellen Peat, even though Robert Peat, Martha's brother declared he was the guardian. I am thinking that women were not allowed to administer estates back then. I am also thinking that Ellen Peat is the Ellen Charlton that I cannot find a marriage to John H Charlton. A whole bunch of thinking going on - can I make this kind of an assumption? The connection to my Mother would have been her father, Stanley Brewer, then her grandparents, Martha Peat and George Brewer, then her aunt Ellen Peat, sister of Martha Peat. The evidence I found on George Brewer, and I don't think I shared, was that George did not have the second name Edward.

lynne