1881- Census, Blackfriars District- 71 Duke St, Glasgow

Share your success stories here.

Moderator: Global Moderators

anniebrigadoon68

1881- Census, Blackfriars District- 71 Duke St, Glasgow

Post by anniebrigadoon68 » Tue Mar 15, 2016 4:04 am

Hi, new to the site, hoping someone can assist with info as I no longer live in Scotland.
I have my G Grandfather listed on 1881 Census-21 yrs old- (From Tarbat- Fearn Penninsula previously) living in "Model Lodging House" @ 71 Duke St Glasgow, Parish of Blackfriars.
I see in various mentions of this address (71 Duke St. Glasgow) it was known as the North Prison. Would this be the same one?
How can I find out if this is the same address &if indeed the prison- details of his crime/incarceration?
Thanks in advance. :D

frances

Re: 1881- Census, Blackfriars District- 71 Duke St, Glasgow

Post by frances » Tue Mar 15, 2016 1:41 pm

There is a good entry in Wikipedia on Duke Street, it mentions the prison 1798 - 1955 and also a common lodging house. It looks to me as if they were separate establishments, might be worth a read.

Frances
searching for macrae family Black Isle/ Invernessshire

Kelly/Kelley/Burns family -Ireland /Lanarkshire/Edinburgh

garibaldired

Post by garibaldired » Tue Mar 15, 2016 1:53 pm

There is an interesting discussion here:

http://discuss.glasgowguide.co.uk/Glasg ... 13104.html

Best wishes,
Meg

Currie

Post by Currie » Wed Mar 16, 2016 10:36 am

The 1881 Glasgow Directory has the prison at 71 Duke Street and the Model Lodging House at 77 Drygate. https://archive.org/stream/postofficean ... 4/mode/2up

Drygate was at the back of the prison. http://www.scotlandsplaces.gov.uk/recor ... 8&layers=B

Have you seen the original census document from ScotlandsPeople or only a transcription? There could be an error.

Glasgow Herald, Thursday, February 2, 1871;
TO WORKING MEN IN THE NORTH QUARTER OF THE CITY.
NEW MODEL LODGING-HOUSE, DRYGATE,
Erected by the City Improvement Trustees.
This New and Commodious LODGING-HOUSE (for MALES only) will be OPENED for receiving LODGERS on TUESDAY. 7th FEBRUARY.
The House contains 150 Beds (each separately enclosed). Together with a large Dining and Sitting Hall, Kitchen (with Hot-Plate), Cooking Utensils. Lavatories, &c., &c.
Lodgers will be received either for a Single Night or for a Week.
There will be Two Scales of Charges. For one part of the House the Charge will be Threepence per Night, and One Shilling and Sixpence per Week: and for the other part of the House, Fourpence per Night, and Two Shillings Per Week. Payment must be made on Admission.
The By-Laws and Regulations will be seen on a visit to the House.
WM. RAE ARTHUR, Lord Provost,
City Chambers. 23d January, 1871.

Alan

impis

Post by impis » Sat Apr 27, 2019 7:17 pm

One of our ancesters, a girl of 11, appears on the 1881 census under the address of 71 Duke Street, Glasgow. I looked it up and it seemed to be a prison - 'North Prison' but on closer inspection of the census return, realised that it seemed to be a home for young girls. It lists a matron, assistant matron, 4 junior assistants, and quite a few girls, from 7 to 14. They are all listed as 'inmates'. They are also all listed as attending 'The Glasgow school for girls'. A search for this school brought up information that the same members of staff also ran the school - which relocated around that time. It seems that this was a school for poor girls, whose parents couldn't afford to keep them at home. We can find no other record of our ancestors earlier life. No record of parentage. Being a teacher myself, I'm hoping that somewhere there must be some school records, which show where these girls came from, and the names of their families. Without this, that particular branch of investigation seems to be shut to us.