Death of Robert Singer Innes at sea

Fisherman, Merchant vessels, Emigrant ships etc.

Moderator: Global Moderators

ficam

SUCCESS - Death of Robert Singer Innes at sea

Post by ficam » Tue Oct 27, 2009 9:56 pm

Hello all - just a quick update to say that I have been back to Kew and found confirmation that my great grandfather was indeed on the Masnedsund when it went down in the Channel in December 1920!!! So the longest part of my search (so far...) has finally come to an end...I don't know what i will do with myself...
( of course I am kidding...so many more questions still to be answered in many other lines of the family..!!)

I have still to track down his actual death certificate...I am presuming it would have been registered in Sunderland where the ship was based at the time. And in one of those twists that we come across so often in this game...I have a note in my scribbles book of a death index in the last quarter of 1920 of an R Innes in Sunderland but at the time I dismissed it as the age of R Innes was given as 0. Now I think it might actually be him and they just did not know his age. So I will have to send away for it ( hopefully not more money wasted...!?)to check if I could have solved the mystery 4 years ago when I first came across it when painstakingly ( or so I thought) looking through every entry in the English indexes in coastal towns ( working on the assumption that the death would be registered in a sea port).

I also checked the Folio entries mentioned below and they were both for salvage disputes...although they do not tell very much ....

Thanks to all who have offered suggestions and help over the years.....I have no doubt I will be back to take advantage of everyone's expertise...

Currie

Re: Death of Robert Singer Innes at sea

Post by Currie » Wed Oct 28, 2009 8:11 am

Great work ficam,

Better double check the details before you send for the certificate. According to FreeBMD for Sunderland the last quarter 1920 death for Robert Innes has an age of 58. The Robert age 0 is last quarter 1918.

Alan

ficam

Post by ficam » Fri Nov 06, 2009 1:14 am

Yeah - nothing is simple is it....!? I noticed the discrepancy in the ages when I went back and looked at it again. So I checked the other men who were listed in the records in Kew as being aboard when she went down and not one of them appear to have an entry in the death register index for England either. And the captain was from Edinburgh and I can't find his death certificate in the Scottish records either...!!

I would have thought that even though their deaths were recorded in the Board of Trade registers that they would still all have to have had death certificates issued?

Currie

Post by Currie » Sat Nov 07, 2009 10:14 am

Hello Ficam,

It seems that procedures weren’t very well followed.
http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/cata ... ID=246&j=1

“it should be noted that, although RGSS were required to report births and deaths to the appropriate Registrar General, over half of the entries are blank in the column headed ‘Which RG has been informed’.”

The 1874 legislation is here http://books.google.com.au/books?id=zcS ... q=&f=false

All the best,
Alan

yorkieman

Post by yorkieman » Sun Oct 24, 2010 9:45 pm

Ficam see PM for my contact and further details of the ex Danidh MASNEDSUND which was owned by Dinsdale of Sunderland for 5 months prior to her loss.