SS Menus of Cardiff

Fisherman, Merchant vessels, Emigrant ships etc.

Moderator: Global Moderators

david macdiarmid

SS Menus of Cardiff

Post by david macdiarmid » Tue Dec 01, 2009 7:56 pm

Has anybody heard of this ship.The "Menus" might not be quite right,I am reading it from a marraige cert and it is quite difficult to read.This ship was my Uncle Harry Sutherland's Usual Residence when he Married in 1937 .Does anybody know of a site where i can check personnel etc.Harry, according to story's i have been told was awarded for shooting down an enemy plane whilst in the Merchant Navy.I have tried Ancestry but have had no success regarding Merchant Seamen,any clues, much appreciated as always,David
Banks,Bennet-Clark,Bird,Cholat,Clark,Clay,Dupre,Dupuis,Fraser,Grant,Gunn,Hooper
Kelly,Leburn,Livingston,MacDonald,Paris,Reymond,Russell,Sommerville,Sutherland & Watson.All Scottish searches,apart from the four obvious French names.Merci Beaucoup !!!

SarahND
Site Admin

Re: SS Menus of Cardiff

Post by SarahND » Tue Dec 01, 2009 10:28 pm

Hi David,
There are many, many listings for a Harry Sutherland born abt 1908-9 on the ship's lists on Ancestry.com. He is a crew member. Nothing that sounds like "Menus" but the ships listed most often are the Queen of Bermuda and the Acadia. Was he a U.S. citizen? The one I found is listed as one,so maybe he isn't yours?

All the best,
Sarah

LesleyB

Post by LesleyB » Tue Dec 01, 2009 10:44 pm

Just incase he is the one mentioned on Ancestry, you can access Ancestry free of charge at Cupar library, David.

Best wishes
Lesley

Currie

Post by Currie » Wed Dec 02, 2009 11:24 am

Hello David,

Whenever I Google ship menus I get a list of things to eat.

The exact name of the ship will probably be pretty important if you want to get anywhere with your query.

If the marriage certificate is a poor quality image and that’s what is making the name unclear it may be a good idea to ask SP via a contact form for a better copy.

If it is a good copy it may be useful to get some other opinions of the handwriting by posting the image of the certificate or part of it into the gallery. If the gallery isn’t up and running maybe you could try using a facility such as photobucket or something similar. http://photobucket.com/

Was he a Harry or a Henry and was that his full name?

All the best,
Alan

Hugh MacLean

Post by Hugh MacLean » Wed Dec 02, 2009 8:10 pm

Hello David,
Could you also post his date and place of birth as that will help,
Regards
Regards
Hugh

david macdiarmid

Post by david macdiarmid » Thu Dec 03, 2009 4:50 pm

Hi Guys,thanks for that as always.Harry was born in Leith 18 / 12 / 1892.He married Fora in Edinburgh 14 / 7 / 1937 and he had a heart attack on Ben Lomond off Dover 4 / 11 / 1948.The problem on the Cert was not the Quality but the unusual handwriting,David
Kelly,Leburn,Livingston,MacDonald,Paris,Reymond,Russell,Sommerville,Sutherland & Watson.All Scottish searches,apart from the four obvious French names.Merci Beaucoup !!!

Hugh MacLean

Post by Hugh MacLean » Thu Dec 03, 2009 9:30 pm

Hello David,

I cant be 100% but I think this is your uncles medal record held in piece BT 395/1 at TNA. The link is here: http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/docu ... ultcount=1 The date of birth is 1891 instead of 1892 but he is the only Harry Sutherland in the Merchant Navy who was awarded a gallantry medal during WWII. This file can be downloaded for £3.50.

Harry Sutherland was awarded the BEM and was gazetted 4 June 1943 - Birthday Hounours List. I can tell you that the ship he was serving on at the time was BENDORAN.

For any further information about service records etc then they can help: http://www.mercantilemarine.org/index.php
Regards
Hugh

Hugh Stevely

Post by Hugh Stevely » Thu Dec 03, 2009 9:44 pm

david macdiarmid

Post by david macdiarmid » Tue Dec 08, 2009 12:10 am

Hi Lesley, I am on a free trial with Ancestry until the 15th but no matter how hard i try i cannot extract information from this source.I am sure its easy but as hard as i try i have had no success with any search i have attempted.A quick refresher course may be what is needed urgently,David :?

david macdiarmid

Post by david macdiarmid » Tue Dec 08, 2009 12:33 am

Hi Guys,I downloaded the file regarding Harry,but i am none the wiser to what it all means.There are boxes that are circled and crossed and it means nothing to me,any clues? If Harry was in the Birthday Honours list he must have been in the Scotsman,the Evening News and The London Times,how do i get that info .Can i view his medal anywhere and can i find out why he was awarded it? Meeting all my family tomorrow on the 8th for a funeral,hoped to have some info but no time for research this month,Thanks again,David :)