Fishermen in Wemyss Fife

Fisherman, Merchant vessels, Emigrant ships etc.

Moderator: Global Moderators

MarionRobertson

Re: Fishermen in Wemyss Fife

Post by MarionRobertson » Sat Oct 09, 2010 10:49 pm

Hi Lesley
Thanks for the information regarding Illigitimacy, I was thinking that if only men could register the children that would explain the reason for my ggggrandfather not being in the parish records until 3 years after his birth date.
Thanks again
Marion x

LesleyB

Post by LesleyB » Sun Oct 10, 2010 11:29 pm

Hi Marion

It is possible that he was not christened until his younger sister was, thus the delay in appearing in the OPR. I'm sure I have seen this happen before, but can't think an example off the top of my head.

Best wishes
Lesley

Montrose Budie

Post by Montrose Budie » Mon Oct 11, 2010 8:24 pm

On balance, over the many years I've been researching the Scottish records, it's the mother who was most often the informant, followed next in frequency by the father, at least as regards the post 1854 statutory records.

In the case of illegitimacy (except in one very uncommon situation, the term 'bastard' has no meaning in Scots Law), even more so, for obvious reasons, the most frequent informant is the mother.

A grandfather registering the birth of an illegitimate grandchild doesn't 'give' the child in question his surname any more than the mother does; unless, of course, it's the father of the father involved !!, which I've never seen.

As far as pre-1855 Scottish parish records are concerned, there was no restriction as to who could ask the minister or session clerk to make an entry.

OPRs baptisms turning up years after the event are quite common. It's far from uncommon to find 4 or more wains being baptised at the same time.

One can only speculate on the reason, - never quite got around to it previously, only recently joined the church concerned, a pointed reminder by the [new ?] minister, the family lived a long way from the nearest kirk, recently moved into the parish ....... etc., etc., never mind there being times when a guvmint tax was levied, and that's not including the situation where the session clerk expected a backhander that the couple couldn't afford previously ...

D J Steel's Sources for Scottish Genealogy and Family History, Volume XII in the Society of Genealogists National Index of Parish Registers series is well worth a read on the subject.

This book is long since out of print (although I seem to recall a suggestion a wee while ago regarding a reprint ? ....); your local library may have or be able to borrow a copy through the inter-library loan system.

In addition, a site like abebooks may have a second hand copy available - let's face it, all that's required is a "reading copy", i.e. the covers might be falling off but all the pages are still there !

mb

MarionRobertson

Post by MarionRobertson » Wed Oct 13, 2010 12:34 am

Thanks MB
I will try to get hold of the book you referred to.
Thanks again
Marion x