Ridge Park Children's Home and Dunavon Children's Home

Asylums, Poor Houses and the like.

Moderator: Global Moderators

Currie

Re: Ridge Park Children's Home and Dunavon Children's Home

Post by Currie » Fri Jan 22, 2016 3:35 pm

Hello Angelly, and welcome to TalkingScot.

Scallywag may receive notification of your posting, but if not you could try a Private Message.

That's Dunavon House at the top right corner of this 1909 “Greetings from Strathaven” postcard. http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Greetings-fr ... Swd4tT92TN

Described as “Italianate style” in the book “Strathaven in old picture postcards volume 1”

(Left click on the image to bring up a larger copy, then Right click and save a copy before it disappears.)

Alan

Nutofafamilytree

Re: Thank you

Post by Nutofafamilytree » Sun Nov 13, 2016 5:44 pm

When were you a resident at Dunavon?
mcblondie wrote:Hiya,

I was just looking to find out when these establishments became Children's Homes and when they closed down. I just couldn't find much info on them on the web.

I was once a resident and was just looking back.

:)

Nutofafamilytree

Post by Nutofafamilytree » Sun Nov 13, 2016 6:07 pm

Hi Scallywag and all,

I would be very interested in learning more about your memories of Dunavon Children's Home. My grandmother grew up there from the late 1930s to early 1950s approximately. It is very difficult to find any information or photos online of the Home since it is no longer in existence. I'd love to hear about anyone's stories or photos that you might have. I am doing some research into our family tree and have come to quite the roadblock when it comes to Dunavon. Please feel free to PM me ...

Looking forward to hearing from you!
Erin

scallywag wrote:Dear Katie My name is Catherine( Kay) Maiden surname SCALLY. I live in Tasmania (australia) and was a resident of Dunavon House(I think) I have long been wishing to contact anyone who lived there too. I have only recently learned how to use a computer!! and one day just on the outchance SOMEONE OUT THERE MAY HAVE HEARD OF IT
I ENTEREDTHE NAME "DUNAVON HOUSE CHILDRENS HOME!!" AND THERE YOU WERE! I JUST COULDN'T BELIEVE IT, YOU WERE LOOKING TOO SO HERE GOES.......
I was a resedent there just after the war From around 1944 to aprox1948-49 when I was fostered out to a family in the north east. I was among the lucky ones, and had a good upbringing.I also had a brother and we were fostered together.Dunavon home Strathaven was the only name I could remember.
About 18mths ago I saw a little story In the peoples friend about a man who had written a book about Strathaven and mentioned a Museum telling of the history of Strathaven. So I wrote to him for the book-and told him my story. He was very interested and kindly sent me photoes of the Museum, which has information about the children who lived in Dunavon home. we wrote a few letters and in one he told me about two sisters who worked there all their working lives, he had a chat to them and asked If they remembered me but unfortunatley the didn't. How ever the sent me some photoes of some children there.Also I got some photoes of the home from the man i wrote too I would be willing to share these with anyone who stayed there, and was interested.
I went to Scotland a few years ago and my Foster Sister lived not too far from there. We had a look around but couldent find any thing. However I didn't have the information I have now, which is a shame as now my circumstances have changed and I wont be able to travel to Scotland again.If only there are so many questions I would love to ask,also information I would love to get Just to fit the jigsaw piecies together. I am 70 now, and there won't be many people around who were there at the time I was but you never know eh. Well Katie I hope you get this letter(as long as i dont stuff it up sending it :) ) There were other people interested on that site when i found it by sheer luck so hopefuly one of them will see it too and someone OUT THERE WILL REPLY PLEESEEEEE LOVE KAY

Robo864

Post by Robo864 » Sat Mar 18, 2017 12:26 pm

Hi I am not 100% shour as I was told this by my social worker. Ridge Park had a baby home in the 60s to which I was placed there at from what I was told 6 mounths and was a resident from 1969 to 1979 then went to Quarries Homes near bridge of wire. Mr&Mrs Brown with there two Daughters and son stayed in cottage as you come into the drive and ran the home. Staff Mrs Taylor, Mr Chruthers or Cruxshanks, two members of how lived to gather, two cook's, the Gardner there where other members of staff just can't remember there name's. We used to walk through the field at back to school where mad horse was up the hill to lanark primary in shorts all year round. There was a home right next ridge Park and special unit behind hit. Another not far from the country park. Any how your right it seems to be written out of existence. Neil ps I dislxse so sorry for the spelling and grammar.

Clairemgt

Post by Clairemgt » Fri Jan 12, 2018 1:15 am

I know this post is from years ago but when I saw this post was from a Katie I felt I had to comment. My great auntie Margaret Dickson was a house mother in Ridge park in Lanark many many years ago. She always used to show me a photo and she would tell me "That's my wee katie". Auntie Margaret adored this little girl and hoped to adopt her but single people weren't allowed to adopt all that time ago. Of course she was delighted when i called my daughter Katie.
She was such a caring woman and it's so sad she never get 'her wee Katie'. She cared for her elderly mother and sister with special needs until they passed away and was more like a grandmother to us. All those kids in Ridge park would have been so well looked after by the great Margaret Dickson. Xx

QUINCO59

Post by QUINCO59 » Tue Jan 16, 2018 4:29 pm

Hi Everyone, I lived in Ridge Park for a short period in the early 70s was a troubled kid then. I do remember Mr&Mrs Brown and one of their daughters also remember fishing the river Moose with Mr Brown. Swam and fished the Moose with other residents Sandy,David and an other brother who's name escapes my old mind. Wee Alan who i new from Woodean home in Bothwell. I knew a Mrs French who worked there also David Green I think he was the son of the head of social work. Used to nick his ciggies sure he knew. Wee explored all of Lanark collecting ginger bottles golf balls to fund our smoking habit. Dogging school and helping farmers at Lanark market for a couple of shillings.I can look back and laugh about the things we got up to.All tipical teenage stuff brings a smile to my face.
Kenny.

taggs

Post by taggs » Wed Jan 23, 2019 11:56 am

eney one in dunavon home in late 60 to 70 get in tuch

taggs

Post by taggs » Tue Feb 12, 2019 2:01 pm

mariemississippi wrote:
Sat Jun 26, 2010 10:57 pm
mcblondie wrote:Hi all,

Is there anyone out there familiar with Ridge Park Children's Home in Lanark and Dunavon Children's Home in Strathaven?

I'm looking to obtain info on any of these two children's homes but unfortunately can't find anything online.

Katie

i was in ridge park from 1973 to 76, name is mare, i am aware of several things relating to this home, get in touch at downnoutneAThotmail,com

e-mail address modified to avoid potential spammers (AT=@) Russell
hi there was in dunavion

taggs

Post by taggs » Fri Mar 01, 2019 5:36 pm

taggs wrote:
Tue Feb 12, 2019 2:01 pm
mariemississippi wrote:
Sat Jun 26, 2010 10:57 pm
mcblondie wrote:Hi all,

Is there anyone out there familiar with Ridge Park Children's Home in Lanark and Dunavon Children's Home in Strathaven?

I'm looking to obtain info on any of these two children's homes but unfortunately can't find anything online.

Katie

i was in ridge park from 1973 to 76, name is mare, i am aware of several things relating to this home, get in touch at downnoutneAThotmail,com

e-mail address modified to avoid potential spammers (AT=@) Russell
hi there was in dunavion
i was in dunavion home19 68to 71 was in smileum park home lanark

taggs

Post by taggs » Fri Mar 01, 2019 5:40 pm

Nutofafamilytree wrote:
Sun Nov 13, 2016 6:07 pm
Hi Scallywag and all,

I would be very interested in learning more about your memories of Dunavon Children's Home. My grandmother grew up there from the late 1930s to early 1950s approximately. It is very difficult to find any information or photos online of the Home since it is no longer in existence. I'd love to hear about anyone's stories or photos that you might have. I am doing some research into our family tree and have come to quite the roadblock when it comes to Dunavon. Please feel free to PM me ...

Looking forward to hearing from you!
Erin
scallywag wrote:Dear Katie My name is Catherine( Kay) Maiden surname SCALLY. I live in Tasmania (australia) and was a resident of Dunavon House(I think) I have long been wishing to contact anyone who lived there too. I have only recently learned how to use a computer!! and one day just on the outchance SOMEONE OUT THERE MAY HAVE HEARD OF IT
I ENTEREDTHE NAME "DUNAVON HOUSE CHILDRENS HOME!!" AND THERE YOU WERE! I JUST COULDN'T BELIEVE IT, YOU WERE LOOKING TOO SO HERE GOES.......
I was a resedent there just after the war From around 1944 to aprox1948-49 when I was fostered out to a family in the north east. I was among the lucky ones, and had a good upbringing.I also had a brother and we were fostered together.Dunavon home Strathaven was the only name I could remember.
About 18mths ago I saw a little story In the peoples friend about a man who had written a book about Strathaven and mentioned a Museum telling of the history of Strathaven. So I wrote to him for the book-and told him my story. He was very interested and kindly sent me photoes of the Museum, which has information about the children who lived in Dunavon home. we wrote a few letters and in one he told me about two sisters who worked there all their working lives, he had a chat to them and asked If they remembered me but unfortunatley the didn't. How ever the sent me some photoes of some children there.Also I got some photoes of the home from the man i wrote too I would be willing to share these with anyone who stayed there, and was interested.
I went to Scotland a few years ago and my Foster Sister lived not too far from there. We had a look around but couldent find any thing. However I didn't have the information I have now, which is a shame as now my circumstances have changed and I wont be able to travel to Scotland again.If only there are so many questions I would love to ask,also information I would love to get Just to fit the jigsaw piecies together. I am 70 now, and there won't be many people around who were there at the time I was but you never know eh. Well Katie I hope you get this letter(as long as i dont stuff it up sending it :) ) There were other people interested on that site when i found it by sheer luck so hopefuly one of them will see it too and someone OUT THERE WILL REPLY PLEESEEEEE LOVE KAY
dunavion was not a happy pl for me at all