Ridge Park Children's Home and Dunavon Children's Home

Asylums, Poor Houses and the like.

Moderator: Global Moderators

scallywag

Re: Ridge Park Children's Home and Dunavon Children's Home

Post by scallywag » Sun Oct 23, 2011 8:24 am

Dear Katie My name is Catherine( Kay) Maiden surname SCALLY. I live in Tasmania (australia) and was a resident of Dunavon House(I think) I have long been wishing to contact anyone who lived there too. I have only recently learned how to use a computer!! and one day just on the outchance SOMEONE OUT THERE MAY HAVE HEARD OF IT
I ENTEREDTHE NAME "DUNAVON HOUSE CHILDRENS HOME!!" AND THERE YOU WERE! I JUST COULDN'T BELIEVE IT, YOU WERE LOOKING TOO SO HERE GOES.......
I was a resedent there just after the war From around 1944 to aprox1948-49 when I was fostered out to a family in the north east. I was among the lucky ones, and had a good upbringing.I also had a brother and we were fostered together.Dunavon home Strathaven was the only name I could remember.
About 18mths ago I saw a little story In the peoples friend about a man who had written a book about Strathaven and mentioned a Museum telling of the history of Strathaven. So I wrote to him for the book-and told him my story. He was very interested and kindly sent me photoes of the Museum, which has information about the children who lived in Dunavon home. we wrote a few letters and in one he told me about two sisters who worked there all their working lives, he had a chat to them and asked If they remembered me but unfortunatley the didn't. How ever the sent me some photoes of some children there.Also I got some photoes of the home from the man i wrote too I would be willing to share these with anyone who stayed there, and was interested.
I went to Scotland a few years ago and my Foster Sister lived not too far from there. We had a look around but couldent find any thing. However I didn't have the information I have now, which is a shame as now my circumstances have changed and I wont be able to travel to Scotland again.If only there are so many questions I would love to ask,also information I would love to get Just to fit the jigsaw piecies together. I am 70 now, and there won't be many people around who were there at the time I was but you never know eh. Well Katie I hope you get this letter(as long as i dont stuff it up sending it :) ) There were other people interested on that site when i found it by sheer luck so hopefuly one of them will see it too and someone OUT THERE WILL REPLY PLEESEEEEE LOVE KAY

Currie

Post by Currie » Sun Oct 23, 2011 1:14 pm

Hello Kay,

Katie doesn’t appear to have visited the forum since early 2010 and may not be aware of your message. You could try sending her a Personal Message (PM) and if she still has the same email address she’ll receive a notification. When you are logged on to TalkingScot you’ll see a PM button in the area of one of her posts.

On the following site there’s the text from a book of old picture postcards of Strathaven and there’s a description of Dunavon House.
http://www.europese-bibliotheek.nl/nl/b ... /artikel/8

Earlier in this thread I mentioned an article in The Scotsman, 29 November, 1945. Here it is.

CHILDREN’S HOME "TOO CLEAN."— Comments in a report by two officials of the Department of Health for Scotland on their visit of inspection to Dunavon Children's Home at Strathaven gave rise to discussion at yesterday's meeting of the County Council in Glasgow. The Home, which is under the Welfare Committee, provides residential accommodation for 75 children ranging from early infancy to 17 years of age. Mr Robert Daly said the report was couched in most appreciative terms, but he thought the Superintendent-Matron had rightly taken exception to the statements about "too much hospital tidiness" and the children wearing their best clothes for the officials' visit. A reference to the playroom stated that the only criticism was that the institution was almost too clean. "It brings to mind," the report stated, "the ultra modern hygienic hospital type of building. Apart from bouncing ball marks on the ceiling, there is no evidence of the boisterous, high-spirited, destructive activities of the average child, and no signs of toys, books, or games." Mr Daly added that the matron had told the Social Welfare Committee that she would much prefer if no intimation were made of intended official inspections, but simply that they should drop in and see how the institution was run.

Hope that’s interesting,
Alan

scallywag

Post by scallywag » Mon Nov 07, 2011 12:46 pm

dear Alan I just spent ten minuets writting you a longggg email pressed the wrong button and lost the blooming lot :-({|=
Im still a bit new to this computer thing . but am learning fast no time to rewrite it so this is a short note in reply to your post which was great as I had given up and hadn't looked at the site for a while! Thank you so much for replying. I will try and contact Katie again although I now realise It wasn't an email i sent but a Post!! #-o There is so much I would like to find out about the homes I will keep trying I have some info and even got on to a site that mentioned thoses postcards but didn't get much else . I will read the artical you mentioned as soon as I get of this email.

SO THANK YOU ONCE AGAIN FOR REPLYING ALAN VERY MUCH APPRECIATED KAY :D

Nutofafamilytree

Post by Nutofafamilytree » Tue Sep 17, 2013 6:14 pm

Hello,

I am not sure if anyone is still following this conversation or not, I know it's been some time... But I am also looking to track some information on Dunavon Children's Home. My grandmother grew up there in the 1940s. I was wondering if you had any photos or information of any kind to share? I also wondered where I might get a copy of the book you mention. Any information would be greatly appreciated. Feel free to contact me directly via email... nutofafamilytree@gmail.com

Erin
nutofafamilytree@gmail.com

scallywag

Post by scallywag » Mon Dec 09, 2013 4:12 am

Is there anyone out there still interested in Ridge Park home and Dunavon Children's home ?
I did notice someone who has joined this year it would be nice to get in touch with them
Iv'e forgotten their name though. But if anyone is out there who knows ANYTHING about these
homes I would appreciate any feed back ](*,) I'm getting a bit Brick headed here!!!!!

scallywag

Post by scallywag » Mon Dec 09, 2013 4:17 am

To Erin nutofafamilytree You are the person I've addressed my email too Could you get in touch with scallywag
I'd love to have a chat with you!!!!! :) Please

scallywag

Post by scallywag » Mon Apr 14, 2014 12:22 pm

is there any one who has seen my letters on Dunavon Children's or Ridge park home. I've been waiting to hear any views on the subject But think I've missed the boat. :(
I think I was using the wrong Reply medium #-o and just found it as I checked to see if there was any thing, so hope this gets through [-o< Good-night from Tasmania
Scallywag

Nutofafamilytree

Post by Nutofafamilytree » Mon Apr 14, 2014 2:57 pm

Hi there! I'd love to chat with you. I'm very interested in Dunavon! You can reach me at nutofafamilytree@gmail.com

Erin :)

Alan SHARP

Post by Alan SHARP » Fri Apr 18, 2014 5:55 am

Greetings from New Zealand.

For safety reasons re SPAM etc, it's advised not to post personal email addresses on public forum posts. In some places, if posted, the address is broken up with an AT in the middle instead of @. Though by now possibly SPAMERS have programed their search perameters for that ruse.

Otherwise post a request to members to 'PERSONAL MESSAGE' you for contact details. You will see the icon for that service on the post page, or readers can click on the posters user name, to reach the PM service.

I think on this site you can make adjustments / corrections to all your posts at any time. Some others lock you out after a number of day/days and so you can not then alter them, and must add a new post to the thread to introduce a revision.

On this site users can access the private message service as soon as their application for membership is approved. On some others, you are required to have a number of public forum posts first.

It is recommended that you also activate the box [at the foot of your post] for sending you an email notification of any activity on that post. Plenty of evidence, on this site, of replies arriving many years later, after your post has been located, via rearch engine results.

All the best with your research.

Alan SHARP.

Angelly

Post by Angelly » Fri Jan 22, 2016 1:26 pm

Hello Scallywag,

My mum was at Dunavon Children's home during the 50's,
She has since passed. I would love to know more about
the place. I think I have found a picture online of it
but I'm not totally sure if it's the right place. Would
love to hear anything about it.

Thanks very much :)