Mitchell look up please

Asylums, Poor Houses and the like.

Moderator: Global Moderators

Tracey
Global Moderator

Mitchell look up please

Post by Tracey » Mon Sep 29, 2008 5:58 pm

Now i have discovered my Irish Caseys in Glasgow i am also coming across more mentions of The City Poorhouse than i thought possible . I am just re reading some certs i have downloaded and found another one.

Catherine Casey (m Welsh) died in The City Poorhouse 7th March 1902.
I have her on 1901 census age 35 at 47 East John Street Glasgow (Camlachie) with husband James 35 and son James ?m. So some time inbetween she was admitted to the poorhouse and i am wondering if her husband and child were spared this. Could someone, if they have time, kindly look this up for me when they go.

Many thanks
Tracey
Scotland - Donaldson / Moggach / Shaw / Geddes / Sim / Gray / Mackie / Richards / Joel / Coull / Mckimmie / Panton / McGregor
Ireland and Scotland - Casey / McDade / Phillips / McCandle / Dinely / Comaskey + various spellings

nelmit

Re: Mitchell look up please

Post by nelmit » Mon Sep 29, 2008 6:02 pm

Tracey wrote:Now i have discovered my Irish Caseys in Glasgow i am also coming across more mentions of The City Poorhouse than i thought possible . I am just re reading some certs i have downloaded and found another one.

I have her on 1901 census age 35 at 47 East John Street Glasgow (Camlachie) with husband James 35 and son James ?m. So some time inbetween she was admitted to the poorhouse and i am wondering if her husband and child were spared this. Could someone, if they have time, kindly look this up for me when they go.

Many thanks
Tracey
Hi Tracey,

I'm not getting to The Mitchell much at the moment but I'll note it anyway.

Let me know if anybody else gets it first.

Regards,
Annette

Tracey
Global Moderator

Post by Tracey » Mon Sep 29, 2008 6:04 pm

Thanks Annette i will.

Tracey
Scotland - Donaldson / Moggach / Shaw / Geddes / Sim / Gray / Mackie / Richards / Joel / Coull / Mckimmie / Panton / McGregor
Ireland and Scotland - Casey / McDade / Phillips / McCandle / Dinely / Comaskey + various spellings

nelmit

Re: Mitchell look up please

Post by nelmit » Mon Oct 20, 2008 6:15 pm

Tracey wrote:Now i have discovered my Irish Caseys in Glasgow i am also coming across more mentions of The City Poorhouse than i thought possible . I am just re reading some certs i have downloaded and found another one.

Many thanks
Tracey
Hi Tracey,

Her husband did indeed survive and remarried in July 1905.

It was quite a lengthy application.

James Casey's wife Catherine Welsh, 41 East John Street.
Born 55 New St Calton, age 40, married, Roman Catholic.

Reason - Aneamia

Father Thomas Welsh, mason's labourer and Bridget McMenna both dead.

Husband James Casey born Huddersfield, England age 37, labourer, RC. Son of John Casey, shoemakerand Ann More (above More was later written Phillips) b/d

Children - James born Well St, Calton.

Application was made for this woman's removal to P/house. She is lying in an unconcious condition. Husband is a sergt in 3rd batt H L(R) I (wasn't too sure about that bit hopefully somebody will know) and is presently in S. Africa.(reg No 2658)

Van sent and removed to City P/H and order granted 14/2/02. Boy James sent to City Poorhouse 17/2/02.

11/3/02 - Boy James handed over to Aunt.

11/3/02 - Boy James handed over to John Casey, shoemaker, 23 Queen Mary St, Bridgeton. He has 3 children of his own, house of 1 apt, 3 beds.

There was then a report of the inspector's visit to the house (i'm afraid I just did a wee summary as I was rushing to get to my car before it got towed away :lol: ) It said the house was comfy - the mother slept with one of her children, two others shared a bed and young James slept on a chair bed. The father John slept at the ajoining shop and came in to the house for meals. The inspector didn't see James as he was at school but was happy with the conditions in the house and he would send some clothes for James

James senior returned from S. Africa in September 1902.

6.5.09 - Claim from Neilston states James Casey married again 2nd July 1905, 18 E Crawford Street to Annie McCracken, widow of James Hughes.
Living at 238 Main St, Barrhead

Children - Helen Hughes born 21.9.01
Annie Casey born 12.12.05
George Casey born 26.12.07

Regards,
Annette

Tracey
Global Moderator

Post by Tracey » Mon Oct 20, 2008 6:25 pm

Thank you so so much for this Annette, it is much appreciated.
One day i would like to find something out about them that might make me smile

nelmit

Post by nelmit » Mon Oct 20, 2008 6:41 pm

Tracey wrote:Thank you so so much for this Annette, it is much appreciated.
One day i would like to find something out about them that might make me smile
No problem Tracey. I didn't think it was too bad as far as poorhouse applications go. At least wee James was comfy living with his Uncle.

Be thankful Catherine only had anaemia and not a venereal disease like one of the other women I looked up today.

Regards,
Annette

Tracey
Global Moderator

Post by Tracey » Mon Oct 20, 2008 6:54 pm

Be thankful Catherine only had anaemia and not a venereal disease like one of the other women I looked up today.
I did a double take when i saw the death of one of the Casey babies - Congenital Syphilis. Some of the poor relief that has been passed to me about different Caseys has consisted of quite a few pages and so i am very greatful to you for this.