Greenock Parochial Inst/ Hamilton

Asylums, Poor Houses and the like.

Moderator: Global Moderators

AileenA

Greenock Parochial Inst/ Hamilton

Post by AileenA » Thu Oct 30, 2008 3:43 pm

Hello
I've discovered that my G.Grandfather Robert Hutchison died in Greenock Parochial Asylum Institution in 1899. The death cert says he had been suffering from paralysis for 2 years. There are no records for this inst. in existence, and I've been in touch with both the Watt Library and the Mitchell. The mystery is that he had been a miner in Blantyre and his wife and children were still living there in the 1901 census. I'm mystified as to why he would have been sent to the Greenock inst and not to the nearby Hamilton inst. I believe Greenock was a hospital aswell as a poorhouse, was the Hamilton inst the same? Does anyone have any theories??
Also, any ideas on how I can find out what happened to him to cause him to be paralysed? :?
Thanks
Aileen

Currie

Post by Currie » Fri Oct 31, 2008 6:11 am

Hello Aileen,

My Great Grandmother’s clothes caught fire and she died a few weeks later. That was in Australia in 1898. The actual inquest papers had not been retained but the newspaper said “The deceased lady was paralysed previous to the accident”. A family story passed down was that she had a club foot, nothing about paralysis as we might understand it nowadays.

One of the definitions for paralyse in The Concise Oxford Dictionary is cripple. Maybe it’s just the terminology of the time and perhaps the paralysis is something that didn’t stop him from getting around more or less normally and was from natural causes rather than what would generally be described as an accident. That said the incapacity and any other reason he was where he was may have been connected.

It’s worth having a look in 19th Century British Library Newspapers still available here http://access.gale.com/newstrial/

Search for GREENOCK ASYLUM AND PAROCHIAL

Glasgow Herald (Glasgow, Scotland), Monday, March 4, 1872
Mentioned here is what appears to be an agreement that certain classes of patients from particular parts of Renfrewshire went to Greenock. There are several other articles that may be of interest. But if Blantyre is in Lanarkshire what is he doing in Renfrewshire.

I think there was a practice to move paupers to other parishes etc where it wasn’t thought there was a local responsibility for them but if he was living in Blantyre for some years you wouldn’t think that would be the case. Maybe some arrangement was made to keep him there or maybe he had separated from his family beforehand and was living in Renfrewshire when his problems came to the fore. I’m just guessing really, someone else may have a better idea.

It looks like around 1879/80 they opened new premises at Smithston but it’s not clear whether this was for additional accommodation or a replacement. There appears to be some records here.
http://nationalarchives.gov.uk/hospital ... 32&page=14

Search for ROBERT HUTCHISON in the Glasgow Herald after 1895.

Glasgow Herald (Glasgow, Scotland), Tuesday, July 13, 1897
Report of a Robert Hutchison, Roland Street, Kelvinside injured in a Tramway accident but it didn’t look too serious.

Hope this helps,
Alan

AileenA

Post by AileenA » Fri Oct 31, 2008 12:46 pm

Thanks Alan, I'll have a look at the links. My G Gran and kids lived in Blantrye for many years before and after his death. I had thought of going through to the library in Hamilton to have a look at local newspapers of the time but will need to find out if they are open on a Sat as I can't go during the week, do you know if the Mitchell keeps newspapers also?

I never thought that he'd be anything other than totally parlysed, I'm glad you've pointed that out. The only info I could get from the Watt library was where he is buried, in common ground and the date of buriel.

Really appreciate your help, will let you know how it goes.

Aileen

Currie

Post by Currie » Fri Oct 31, 2008 2:00 pm

That’s okay Aileen,

Newspapers at the Mitchell http://www.glasgow.gov.uk/en/Residents/ ... chell2.htm

If you have any trouble locating the Glasgow Herald articles on the http://access.gale.com/newstrial/ website I mentioned let me know and I’ll round them up for you.

Alan

AileenA

Post by AileenA » Wed Nov 05, 2008 11:16 am

Hi Alan
Thanks for the newspaper link, it's fascinating!! Didn't find a lot on the Inst. but got waylaid reading the articles it's a real window into the past isn't it!! :)
I've managed to find my Grandad's Mum on the census and discovered that she lived in Greenock so that may explain why he ended up there.
Thanks again for all your help, just need to find out what put him in there in the first place :lol:

Currie

Post by Currie » Wed Nov 05, 2008 12:13 pm

Hello Aileen,

I’ve found some reports on the Greenock Asylum in British Parliamentary Papers. There was a report on all such institutions on a yearly basis. It doesn’t mention any names but gives a good idea of the way the place operated. The full document is quite large but the section on Greenock only covers a couple of pages and I could send you those parts for the few years he seems to have been there. If you want them please let me know your email address.

I’ve sent you a PM.

All the best,
Alan

Andevado

Re: Greenock Parochial Inst/ Hamilton

Post by Andevado » Thu Dec 31, 2009 9:54 pm

Hi Aileen

I work at Ravenscraig Hospital in Greenock, Formally known as Smithston Poorhouse and Asylum. Until recently I was the General Manager and I personaly transferred some 20 boxes of records to the Mitchell Library in Glasgow that stretched back to 1855. To read in this and other posts elsewhere on the net that these records don't exist is really disapointing. ](*,) My whole motive for transferring these invaluable documents to the care of the Archivists was that they would be accessable to individuals like yourself. So I've joined simply to reply to this.

I had someone visit the hospital 3 days ago who stated that he was told clearly that no records exist by the Mitchell. There are dozens of registers - Admission, Death, Sick Reports, etc. The only possibility of missing records might be those of the Poorhouse part of the establishment but I know the Asylum records were (are) comprehensive, together covering some 6 metres of shelving!

The chap to contact in relation to these records is Alistair Tough, NHS Greater Glasgow and Clyde Archivist & Records Manager. Tel: 0141 330 2992

http://www.archives.gla.ac.uk/gghb/collects/ac12.html

1881 Census
http://www.workhouses.org.uk/index.html ... 1881.shtml

Info on the buildings (which we are closing in the next few months).
http://www.workhouses.org.uk/index.html ... nock.shtml

Let me know if I can help further. If you want to visit I'll happily show you round what is left of the premises and where things used to be but you'd need to be very quick.

Best wishes