Help Finding John Alexander

Asylums, Poor Houses and the like.

Moderator: Global Moderators

haras21uk

Help Finding John Alexander

Post by haras21uk » Thu Jul 30, 2009 9:07 am

Hi,
I am looking for my great great grandfather. I believe that he was either adopted or put in a work house.

I have a copy of his death and marriage certificate and it shows that he was called
John Alexander Martin and was born roughly in 1886.

It states that his mother was Janet Alexander and that his father was John Martin (reputed).

The reason for believing that he was put in a workhouse or adopted is that his mother was married in 1888 to John Campbell. When I look at census records I can see no sign of John Alexander living with his mother.

I am really after some advice on how to start looking for John Alexander Martin

LesleyB

Post by LesleyB » Thu Jul 30, 2009 12:17 pm

Hi haras21uk
Have you tried a search for his birth on Scotlands People? That would be my first stop. My hunch would be to search under "John Alexander" as he is likely to be listed under his mother's surname. But there is probably a long list of births with that name....

Can you tell us where you think he was born - what area of Scotland?

Where and when did he marry, where and when did he die? What is his occupation at the time of his marriage?

Where did his mother marry in 1888?
The reason for believing that he was put in a workhouse or adopted is that his mother was married in 1888 to John Campbell.
He may be with other family members e.g. his grandparents. I have cases of this happening in my tree.

If you live in Scotland, I reckon a day at NRH or Park Circus would enable you to find him in 1891 and also his birth, but first, I'd be checking out the whereabouts of grandparents in 1891 just incase that is where he is....their names will be on Janet's 1888 marriage.

Best wishes
Lesley

JustJean

Post by JustJean » Thu Jul 30, 2009 2:13 pm

The BC you seek is found recorded on SP like this:

1886 ALEXANDER JOHN MCILWRAITH M ANDERSTON GLASGOW CITY/LANARK 644/10 1559

Best wishes
Jean

LesleyB

Post by LesleyB » Thu Jul 30, 2009 2:38 pm

Nice one Jean, considering there seemed to be "hunners" of them on SP! :lol:

JustJean

Post by JustJean » Thu Jul 30, 2009 2:54 pm

Grannies mn is listed as McIlwraith....got lucky :lol:

Best wishes
Jean

haras21uk

Thank You

Post by haras21uk » Thu Jul 30, 2009 8:55 pm

Thank you so much!
We had spent a good hour looking at the marriage certificate wondering what the maiden name was. We had ascertained the Mc but couldn't work out the rest.
I have planned a trip to Scotland at the end of August to find out more.
All I can say is a massive thanks for this :)

JustJean

Post by JustJean » Fri Jul 31, 2009 4:28 pm

Happy to lend a hand! :D Just a reminder too that if in the future there are digital images on www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk that are not that legible then by all means make out a contact form and request a clearer photocopy be sent to you. They are very accomodating!! You afterall have paid for the image...you should at least be able to read what it says! The contact link is conveniently located at the lower edge of the main page of the SP website just about underneatht the scenic image of the castle. Just click on the words "contact us" and follow the prompts from there.

Best wishes
Jean