Mitchell Library Lookup Please

Asylums, Poor Houses and the like.

Moderator: Global Moderators

Genetrix

Post by Genetrix » Tue Sep 08, 2009 11:47 am

Hi Lesley and Annette: So no entry for Elizabeth at Barnhill. That was fast. I may try the University address then. How did you find out her mother was born in Newfoundland Annette? Was it on the census? Do you mean Newfoundland, Canada? With a name like Flynn I would have thought Ireland. Of course, a lot of Irish did settle in Newfoundland here but maybe I'm on the wrong track.

Tricia
Searching for: John Colville/Lilias McGregor; Robert Moffat/Mary Ann Kerr; Archibald McIntyre/Lilias Colville

nelmit

Post by nelmit » Tue Sep 08, 2009 1:28 pm

Genetrix wrote:Hi Lesley and Annette: So no entry for Elizabeth at Barnhill. That was fast. I may try the University address then. How did you find out her mother was born in Newfoundland Annette? Was it on the census? Do you mean Newfoundland, Canada? With a name like Flynn I would have thought Ireland. Of course, a lot of Irish did settle in Newfoundland here but maybe I'm on the wrong track.

Tricia
Yes census records show Newfoundland. 1891 shows British Sub. Newfoundland St Johns. 1901 - Bruin, Newfoundland.

Actually interesting to note she was living at 3 Cadzow Street in 1891 and 1901.

Regards,
Annette

Genetrix

Post by Genetrix » Tue Sep 08, 2009 4:05 pm

Thanks again Annette. So mum Helen was a Newfie. Imagine that!

Very interesting about this Cadzow Street. I have John living at 1 Cadzow Street in 1894 (from his mother's death certificate). Then John, Elizabeth and the four children at 36 West Bothwell Street on the 1901 census and John at 3 Cadzow Street in 1915 (from Elizabeth's death certificate). I wonder if he went to live with his mother-in-law after Elizabeth went to Barnhill.

I've just figured out that my grandmother (who married John's son by his first wife - are you still with me?) also lived at 3 Cadzow Street with her parents in 1888. I suppose that's where they met. The puzzle's all fitting together nicely now, thanks to you.

All the best,
Tricia
Searching for: John Colville/Lilias McGregor; Robert Moffat/Mary Ann Kerr; Archibald McIntyre/Lilias Colville

nelmit

Post by nelmit » Tue Sep 08, 2009 5:17 pm

You can see just how close Cadzow Street and West Bothwell Street were on this map from NLS. Zoom in on Vl. 10. 9 and you'll find them at the extreme west.

Not much of it left now.

You can see the area where they lived at The Virtual Mitchell. Unforunately it's 50 - 60 years after they lived there and the photograph was taken when the area was being redeveloped.

If you compare the photograph to the map - the building just to the left of the T in 'The Mitchell' with lots of windows is The Grain Store. The white space just beyond that would have been 1 Cadzow Street. A good chance that the building that was left behind the white space would have been 36 West Bothwell Street.

Hope you followed all that! :D

Regards,
Annette

Genetrix

Post by Genetrix » Wed Sep 09, 2009 1:01 pm

Hi Annette: I've just spent over an hour browsing through old Glasgow. The map is fascinating and I'll be referring to it a lot. The photos in the Mitchell Library website keep me entertained for hours. Yes, with Bothwell Street and Cadzow Street so close, they didn't have far to move did they. Oh dear, I'm getting home sick now.

Thanks again, Annette.

Tricia

Justjan

RE POORHOUSE LOOK UP

Post by Justjan » Wed Oct 14, 2009 11:17 am

hi
what does it cost to have the staff at the Mitchell look up a poorhouse application , ?
jan
JustJan

LesleyB

Post by LesleyB » Wed Oct 14, 2009 11:26 am

Hi Jan
Why don't you contact them and ask? If you can give names, dates and etc. they should be able to give you a good idea of costs.
http://www.glasgow.gov.uk/en/Residents/ ... tchell.htm
Their photocopying charges are quite reasonable - I think a poorhouse application costs around £3-£4 for the complete document as far as I remember (several pages) but that was with the reference number given to them. I don't know what their chanrges are to look up the records as well.

Best wishes
Lesley

Justjan

Post by Justjan » Wed Oct 14, 2009 11:38 am

thanks Lesley
i emailed them around 3 weeks ago and no reply ,just think this is cheaper than sending to south africa for a search , as its really the parents i am interested in more than their children ,
JustJan

Genetrix

Post by Genetrix » Wed Oct 14, 2009 12:18 pm

I recently made the same enquiry. It costs £10.30 and for that they will search, copy and post the documents to you. Didn't work for me though as they suggested three different people, none of which was the one I was looking for. You may have more luck.

Tricia

LesleyB

Post by LesleyB » Wed Oct 14, 2009 12:46 pm

Hi Jan
i emailed them around 3 weeks ago and no reply
It may be that they are up to their eyes in enquiries - on a visit to the Mitchell in the summer, I was chatting to the person on duty and they were saying that they had quite a large backlog at the time. Not sure if that will still be the case.

If you hear nothing in the next couple of weeks it may be an idea to give them a phone. At least that way you can find out how busy they currently are. I may be wrong, but I'd be thinking with this being the year of homecoming & etc. that requests have probably increased in number this year.

The £10.30 cost mentioned by Tricia seems quite reasonable, given the work involved in looking up , ordering the items up from archives (sometimes you have to look up and order up several books if the name is a frequently occuring one, not being sure that any are the correct person!) and then photocopying, which I'm sure must be a difficult job at times - some of the books are very heavy and unwieldy but also very delicate.

Best wishes
Lesley