emigration

Asylums, Poor Houses and the like.

Moderator: Global Moderators

duker

emigration

Post by duker » Fri Sep 04, 2009 8:16 pm

hi there,can any one help me to find where leslie mckenna and his wife jane went to,he was born in bathgate in1879,his first wife catherine died and he married jane 1911,they left scotland,leaving his three sons behind,not much heard of him since,been told they went to canada,beenn told they went to whitehaven in pennsylvania also whitehaven in maryland,cannot find them anywhere ,would appreciate any advice,thank you ,duker

speleobat2

Post by speleobat2 » Sun Sep 06, 2009 1:30 am

Duker,

I've been hunting for your Leslie McKenna and wife Jane, but haven't had much luck! There are several Leslie McKenna's over here, but none with a wife named Jane or the age of yours.

What were Leslie's three sons names? Do you have any other information on family members who may have emigrated to either the US or Canada?

Carol :D
Looking for: Clerihew, Longmuir/Longmore, Chalmers, Milne, Barclay in Newhills,
Munro, Cadenhead, Raitt, Ririe/Reary

JustJean

Post by JustJean » Sun Sep 06, 2009 1:23 pm

Hmmmm....well not sure where Leslie got to but his 2nd wife died in Scotland in Kirkcaldy in 1954 and it surely looks to me like they had a daughter in 1912 who died only 3 years ago. You'll note that his 2nd wife is shown as marrying again after Leslie.

Best wishes
Jean

duker

Post by duker » Sun Sep 06, 2009 2:09 pm

hi just jean ,thank you could you give me the information and where you got it thank you,duker

duker

thank you

Post by duker » Sun Sep 06, 2009 2:14 pm

speleobat2 wrote:Duker,

I've been hunting for your Leslie McKenna and wife Jane, but haven't had much luck! There are several Leslie McKenna's over here, but none with a wife named Jane or the age of yours.

What were Leslie's three sons names? Do you have any other information on family members who may have emigrated to either the US or Canada?

thank you ,the sons were ,leslie ,thomas and james,i have just had a reply from someone else who seems to think that she has found themin scotland,i have asked for further details,it gets more puzzling as the search goes on,thanks duker

speleobat2

Post by speleobat2 » Sun Sep 06, 2009 4:12 pm

Hi all,

Don't have the credits right now to check out the kids on SP, but Leslie III might have been an engineer, married to a Marie and returning from Bombay in 1946.

There is a Leslie McKenna with a John McKenna headed for the Montana coal fields in 1924. Leslie did have a brother John and Leslie was a coal miner. Problems: The ages are out by a few years and both say they were English. Last residence was Canada for both.

Possibilities!

Looking for: Clerihew, Longmuir/Longmore, Chalmers, Milne, Barclay in Newhills,
Munro, Cadenhead, Raitt, Ririe/Reary

paddyscar
Site Admin

Post by paddyscar » Sun Sep 06, 2009 6:00 pm

Hi Duker, and Welcome to TalkingScot!

You can check immigration records for Canada, including cross-border entries from the US at http://www.collectionscanada.gc.ca/index-e.html Unfortunately only the 1925-35 records are viewable online, but there is an index searchable by name.

Also, Canadian census including 1911 can be viewed online http://automatedgenealogy.com/index.html

Frances
John Kelly (b 22 Sep 1897) eldest child of John Kelly & Christina Lipsett Kelly of Glasgow

Anne H
Global Moderator

Post by Anne H » Sun Sep 06, 2009 6:57 pm

Copied and pasted here to avoid confusion in new post by Duker[b]...Anne H[/b]

Posted by duker...Sun Sep 06, 2009 5:04 pm Post subject: census

paddyscar
Site Admin

Post by paddyscar » Sun Sep 06, 2009 7:52 pm

Hi Duker:

This one is searchable - hope it helps! http://www.collectionscanada.ca/archivi ... dex-e.html

Frances
John Kelly (b 22 Sep 1897) eldest child of John Kelly & Christina Lipsett Kelly of Glasgow

JustJean

Post by JustJean » Mon Sep 07, 2009 12:50 am

duker wrote:hi just jean ,thank you could you give me the information and where you got it thank you,duker
The info is available to download for a few credits on www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk . Best to use wildcards in a serach for names like Jane (also can be found as Jean/Janet/Jessie/Jeanie etc and names like McGuinness) You'll find the death of Jane under the name Janet McKenna other names Fairnie and McGuiness in 1954 Fife. You can figure out the daughter by the name of the informant on the DC being a son in law named Kennedy. Soooo.....a search for a death of first name blank, married name Kennedy, maiden name McKenna, in any year after 1911 and there is only one (actually the search returns two but it seems to be alternate spellings of the first name so looks like same person) so then using that info search for the birth and there is only one in Airdire/New Monkland in 1912. Jane/Janet's DC is viewable since it's more than 50 years old. The others fall into the modern indexes so can't be viewed online.

I actually took this a bit further hoping to find a death for Leslie in Scotland but so far nothing. I have narrowed it up that he likely died between 1911 (year of his marriage to Jane) and 1945 (year of death of Jane/Janet's next husband) Can't tell you when Jane/Janet remarried as that isn't found online so I'm assuming it occured after 1933. Her 2nd husband's 2nd wife had died in 1924 but I'm not finding a marriage for them between 1924 and 1933.

Hope this isn't too confusing for you. Oftentimes the only way to progress is to gather all the information on all the people you can and then use it to construct time windows and a general framework for the possiblities.

BTW...I noticed the MC for Leslie and Jane was Roman Catholic so I'm really counting on her not marrying again unless Leslie truly was dead!

If you need any further guidance figuring out the www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk website by all means just yell!

Best wishes
Jean